Help with lighting set up

rastamarley

So I just got a new enclosure for my jacksons chameleon with a live schefflera plant in there. It is very cool however I have a problem the basking spot is waaaay to hot about 105 degrees. I don't want to lower the basking spot as I will have to trim the schefflera more (the top of the cage is flat) right now the heating lamp is sitting on top of the enclosure I have limited access to tools does anyone have ideas on hoe I can get the heat lamp raise about 5 or 6 inches?

go to your nearest and inexepensive hardware store and get however much feet of chain link you want. cheap aluminium will do just fine for heat lamps, wire them from your ceiling to desired height above the cage and you're golden.

also, you can deffinately try a lower wattage bulb too.

go to your nearest and inexepensive hardware store and get however much feet of chain link you want. cheap aluminium will do just fine for heat lamps, wire them from your ceiling to desired height above the cage and you're golden.

also, you can deffinately try a lower wattage bulb too.

Well I could get a lower watt bulb but they are quite expensive, second I live in an apartment soo could I get the chain in the cieling without causing too big of a hole?

or you could get those metal plant holders and use the chain links on those to adjust the height, that way you dont need to to your roof but rather attached it to a wall and a space above the enclosure...

i'll post a picture of it in a bit

and the bulbs arent that expensive man, philips halogen 75w is like 3/4 dollars from home depot and it does wonders for my basking !

sam1196.jpg

Last edited:
What brand is it? Did you buy it at a pet store? If you bought the bulb recently and saved the box, you can probably just exchange it for a lower wattage bulb where you bought it. I'd try that first, if it were me. Most places are pretty laid back about exchanges.

Good luck! Oregonians rock, by the way. ;-)

Okay thanks for the help I figured it out using some rope and hooks from my shelve and boockase it's quite secure I dont use two bulbs I just have the zoo med uv bulb anyway it should be good to go now. I move in a couple months and I will find a more permament solution then.. probaly doing the wall thing like you did wsidepinoy thats a good idea.

I just buy some hanging hooks. The ones you screw into your Ceiling to hang plants, then just hang the cord on the hook. You can easily adjust the height for your desired tempature. Hope this helps. ;)

OR you can just go to the dollar store and get a pack of 4 for a dollar! :) Just regular house bulbs and a linear UVB bult, reptisun. :D

Back
Top Bottom