Help with heat lamp

Grayson Payne

Avid Member
Today I received my first panther chameleon from Kammerflage! It's been a rough day as he is constantly screen climbing and is getting under the heat lamp. I managed to raise my heat lamp about two inches off the screen. He also just hangs from the top not under the heat bulb. Yesterday my temp gun was working only to find out that it isn't today. I am going to the store to return it but I'm worried to leave the house. What should I do?

Congrats!! If you aren't gone all day he should be fine, just make sure the light is up off of the screen. As far as him possibly falling he should be able to crawl away. @ Beman has a great setup for her heat lamp.

Congrats!! If you aren't gone all day he should be fine, just make sure the light is up off of the screen. As far as him possibly falling he should be able to crawl away. @ Beman has a great setup for her heat lamp.
Okay thanks! I mean it’s pretty where the screen is so I’m just worried about that. I’m looking at hanging it from the ceiling right now but I’m not sure just yet.

@Grayson Payne breathe... It will be ok... This is what I use to raise my fixture up off the screen. The mounting plate you drill holes into and use quarter inch self tapping screws to go directly into your cage frame. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D1BUJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s05?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your better off getting a wired thermometer with probe for the basking area. Zip tie the probe at basking area. That will give you an accurate temp. With the temp gun will help it gives you surface temperatures.

They are very very active when you first get them. Takes them about 2 weeks to settle down and adjust to your enclosure.

Here are images of how I mounted mine with the bracket.

basking hooked in2.JPG basking hooked in3.JPG lighting2.JPG

Neptune did that too when he first came home. Straight chilling on the screen under the bulb. He was totally fine.

Attachments

• AD8DCEF5-DC42-447B-984A-BDDF8C79E426.jpeg
    AD8DCEF5-DC42-447B-984A-BDDF8C79E426.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 93
  • B9C8B408-2A1E-4685-B044-1C3E5DADE642.jpeg
    B9C8B408-2A1E-4685-B044-1C3E5DADE642.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 96
I like that you mounted it at an angle rather than straight down. I did the same for my beardie, and was going to ask at some point. I know I don't have to tell Beman, the advantage is that the light shines in an ellipse instead of a circle, and basking temps are higher at the closer end of the ellipse. This gives the reptile a choice of basking temps. My beardie loves it this way; he can bask in the low-mid 90s, or up into the low 100s when the mood strikes him. ?

I like that you mounted it at an angle rather than straight down. I did the same for my beardie, and was going to ask at some point. I know I don't have to tell Beman, the advantage is that the light shines in an ellipse instead of a circle, and basking temps are higher at the closer end of the ellipse. This gives the reptile a choice of basking temps. My beardie loves it this way; he can bask in the low-mid 90s, or up into the low 100s when the mood strikes him. ?
Yes, I also have mine like this because he gets UVB while basking instead of being only under heat. The focused area of heat shines right where his UVB fixture is. ;)

Today I received my first panther chameleon from Kammerflage! It's been a rough day as he is constantly screen climbing and is getting under the heat lamp. I managed to raise my heat lamp about two inches off the screen. He also just hangs from the top not under the heat bulb. Yesterday my temp gun was working only to find out that it isn't today. I am going to the store to return it but I'm worried to leave the house. What should I do?
Congrats! Looks like you got the info you needed so we will wait patiently for pics of your new cham and sire info ?

If you're worried about the bulb being too hot for him until you get your heat gun replaced, hold your hand at the closest place inside the cage that the chameleon can get to near it. If you have to move your hand it's too hot and will burn the chameleon.

@Grayson Payne breathe... It will be ok... This is what I use to raise my fixture up off the screen. The mounting plate you drill holes into and use quarter inch self tapping screws to go directly into your cage frame. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D1BUJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s05?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your better off getting a wired thermometer with probe for the basking area. Zip tie the probe at basking area. That will give you an accurate temp. With the temp gun will help it gives you surface temperatures.

They are very very active when you first get them. Takes them about 2 weeks to settle down and adjust to your enclosure.

View attachment 267023View attachment 267024View attachment 267025
What wired thermometer do you use? Also thanks for the pictures and help!

Your welcome. I have one of these zip tied in at the basking level right below where my fixture shines. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MD3MFA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is pretty accurate. I just did a tiny hole on the top of the cage to feed the probe down and into the enclosure then used tiny zip ties to secure it to the branch and screen. :)
Thanks! What humidity sensor do you have if you don’t mind me asking as well? I had a smart one but I think it’s reading too high now!

Thanks! What humidity sensor do you have if you don’t mind me asking as well? I had a smart one but I think it’s reading too high now!
FWIW, every digital hygrometer I found was also an integral digital thermometer.
You can get a thermometer without a hygrometer, but not a hygrometer without a thermometer, and they're all around the same price ($3-$6). Go figure.

If you get a generic off Amazon (they're usually fine) just be sure it's whichever scale you want—C or F.
Not all are switchable, and sometimes they put the wrong picture with the thermometer (personal experience). ;)

Yes, I also have mine like this because he gets UVB while basking instead of being only under heat. The focused area of heat shines right where his UVB fixture is. ;)

Yup this is why I had mine at an angle too, was always coming up with weird ways to get the lamp to sit perfectly. I like how yours is.

Also, I've noticed that he hasn't ate since he's been with me, should I worry about this? Is there any way to get him to eat? I've been putting small dubia roaches and BSFL in a feeder cup but he hasn't been interested.

Also, I've noticed that he hasn't ate since he's been with me, should I worry about this? Is there any way to get him to eat? I've been putting small dubia roaches and BSFL in a feeder cup but he hasn't been interested.
It's been less than 24 hours since your OP; I wouldn't hit the PANIC button yet. Most reptiles need a little time to settle in, get their bearings... stuff like that—and are apt to experience some relocation stress. I'd fight the urge to keep a constant vigil for a couple days at least.

As long as the husbandry is correct, when his hunger kicks in and overrides his initial stress, he'll eat. ;)

He probably does not know what the dubia are.... More then likely he is used to crickets. It is common though for them to go off food the first few days.

Back
Top Bottom