Help with feeders

Chameleomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
I need 1/8 inch banded crickets for my new little panther coming next week. Josh's Frogs is out. Please tell me someone I can trust to order from. I have not used crickets since Blueberry was a baby

I've heard Ghann's has excellent reviews ! And I believe Ranbow Mealworms has banded as well. No personal experience witeither, im afraid... it's massively expensive for international shipping! (Canada)
I was just going to say a bunch of members recommended Ghann's to me if Josh's is out of banded crickets. I've been told that they are more pricey than Josh's. But are a good fall back supplier. I haven't ordered from them yet as I do not have my little guy yet. But they are in my notes as a supplier.

I use Rainbowmealworms and they do banded crickets, but they've messed up my past two orders. I ordered LAST Monday, never got a shipping notice, contacted them, they forgot to ship my order! They apologized and we're like sorry, we'll ship to you next week, like its no big deal. In the mean time, I'm now out of feeders for some of my pets! My previous order, I ordered ONE anole, and got TWO geckos instead. So now I have two pet geckos I didn't want!

I usually don't have problems either, but have with my last two orders. I place pretty big orders, around $75-80 so the least they could do is ship to me on time I think.
I should probably say that I do plan to keep ordering from them, I'm just annoyed today because I'm out of some feeders now and will have to buy from pet store which I REALLY don't want to do.

When I was getting crickets I was buying from rainbow. Granted this was months and months ago. But I never had an issue with crickets there. They did mess up one of my orders by not sending me the spikes but they did an immediate replacement of them later.

I have been using Dubia roaches ever since then because I did not like the dubia I got from rainbow and they were expensive as heck. I have been really very happy with Dubia roaches... Have not had any issue and I love that I can order size specific.

I buy crickets from the pet store. What am I doing wrong? :unsure:

Many pet stores- particularly big box ones - will attempt to cut costs by putting uneaten feeders back with the primary colony. Thing is, the returned feeders may have walked through fecal matter, and if that individual reptile had parasites of any sort the eggs may now be on the cricket. That cricket is now in the main colony, and could pass these eggs on to others, which are fed to others in the collection or even worse: sold to unsuspecting keepers!

Due to my working in a veterinary clinic, I'm privy to some very unsavory knowledge. For example, one of the big box stores near me has a coccidia outbreak, and I know for a fact that they return uneaten feeders to the bug bin. Needless to say, I'll never be buying crickets from them... not that I did in the first place!

Big box crickets are also frequently poorly taken care of, and have been kept in unhygienic conditions.

Back
Top Bottom