Help with eye issue please

Chad10672

Recently purchased a veiled chameleon for my fiance we think it's about 2 months old we have had him for about 3 weeks now,the temp stays around 80 and the humidity varys from 45 to 60 try to hand mist him 4 or so times daily. I had notice he has been keeping his left eye shut most of the time a few days ago he shed but he still seems to have something in his eye or something I'm not sure. Would like some help with this please

fill out the form, how long do you mist, is he rubbing his eye on branches or snything?
I'm having trouble getting the form to fill out . I try to mist him 4 or 5 times a day with a hand sprayer that's after I get home from work around 5 he does rub his left eye on the branches,its like he's has something in it

20190125_182837.jpg
20190125_182837.jpg 20190126_094704.jpg

Attachments

• 20190126_092313.jpg
    20190126_092313.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 88
Your uv light is incorrect he can not absorb/metabolize calcium, he will die unless you get a linear t-8 or t-5

Many of us (myself included) bought the same chameleon kit thinking we were doing the right thing. Unfortunately, they are not ok for chameleons and it is essential to update the lighting for his health and well being. You can still use the fixture as a basking light if you put a regular household bulb in it.

Get a t5 high output (ho)fixture (t5 is the size of the bulb that will fit in it). You will need one that fits the entire length of the cage. Someone correct me if I’m wrong (im still a newbie too) but I think the bulb length is usually 2 inches smaller than the fixture. For example I have a 24 inch fixture. The bulb that fits in it is 22 inches. For bulbs I think what is usually recommended is a reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 (depending on age, species, cage size, and amount of foliage). These bulbs need replacing every 6 months. Or you could go with the Arcadia brand bulb 6% or 12%. These bulbs don’t have to be replaced as often. Some folks say every year for the Arcadia.

So sorry to be confusing, but I just checked on some of those fixtures and bulbs. I guess it depends on the brand of fixture reguarding the length of bulb. Just make sure to check the fine print on the fixture to see for sure what length bulb it takes. Im sure some folks on here can point you in the right direction as far as what to order and from where. I ended up ordering a 24 in. zoomed linear high output fixture and taking out the bulb that it came with. I replaced it with a 22in. Arcadia bulb.

Last edited:
So sorry to be confusing, but I just checked on some of those fixtures and bulbs. I guess it depends on the brand of fixture reguarding the length of bulb. Just make sure to check the fine print on the fixture to see for sure what length bulb it takes. Im sure some folks on here can point you in the right direction as far as what to order and from where. I ended up ordering a 24 in. zoomed linear high output fixture and taking out the bulb that it came with. I replaced it with a 22in. Arcadia bulb.
Ok thanks for all the feedback I do appreciate it everyone

Also what’s going on with the bowl at the bottom?

Fill out the form. There shouldn’t be any trouble doing it. Just copy and paste it and then type in your answers...

Was trying to bring the humidity up and was told by a pet store that some chameleons will drink from them if there's movement in the water so they suggest a bubbler

From what I’ve gathered, you should throw most of the advise from pet stores out the window. I’m not to knowledgeable about the bubbler situation myself, but damp paper towels at the bottom of enclosure seems like a much safer option for bringing up humidity.

Back
Top Bottom