Help with eating!

KevinUhern11

Hey guys! I need some help. I adopted Finn from a guy that could not take care of him anymore. He was not taken care of very well but now he is mine and I want to give him a home and a life he deserves. I have had him now for about a month and when I brought him home he was great! Stress free and would eat off my hand. But now I am having a hard time feeding him. I started out with some crickets and then the occasional meal worms. I put him outside in a cage all day and then bring him in for the night. Any tips on feeding? It has been about 4 days since his last big meal. Should I start to be worried?

Attachments

• 20160813_185323.jpg
    20160813_185323.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 100
He looks like he'd do fine for four days to a week without food. Though you obviously should try to get him to eat. How many types of feeders do you have?

I'm sorry I am new at this and I just have a bowl for him that I put the worms in and let loose the crickets in the cage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will get whatever I need to help. I have a water bowl as well with a pump to make the water move and he drinks from that.

Water bowls areally a breeding ground for bacteria, it'd be better to get an automatic mister. I would get at least 5-6 different types of feeder insects to rotate through out the week.

The guy who u got him from did u ask him wat all he fed him chams Can get bored eating the same thing all the time variety if for sure key but if the last owner only offered him meal worms and crickets then that it is most unlikely he would be protesting them.these guys are aggressive eaters they tend to eat as much as the owner will allow somore likely he is stressed.now u may already know all these guys have harmless parasites that will become harmful when they stress can I can tell by that pic he is stressed by his colors and chin being puffed up now maybe that was only at that moment idk but if that's how he is looking most often then you have to figure out wat is the reason maybe he is home sick do you have the same enclosure he was living in did he spend as much time outside as he does now maybe there is a hawk in your area idk what would be the reason to be honest but if his parasites have become harmful u must see a vet

Yes stress has been my concern lately. That picture I think the camera scared him. But one more thing, I have caught him once or twice with him hanging from his front feet. Is this normal? I made an appointment with the vet today. Maybe I should just get him checked out.

I would say no but I'm not sure I have seen them hanging from there back feet to some degree to stretch for a feeder or water

Here is a picture from last night. He does like to walk around. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Attachments

• 20160919_171443.jpg
    20160919_171443.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 88
Occasionally they will go off food for a variety of reasons. I'd get some hornworms or silkworms, they are usually irresistible. I'd also get a fecal float done at the vet to rule out parasites since you haven't had him that long. Also, give him some space when you feed, our worry about them starving can add stress to our chams. He is beautiful and lucky to have a concerned owner!

Back
Top Bottom