Help with custom build!!!!

scarter1109

Ok guys, I'm upgrading Ferdinand's enclosure. We just bought this awesome laundry sink at home depot. Originally $199 but found it in their scratch and dent section for $99! Anyway, We're brainstorming on building with screen around the sink. I can't decide if I want to do one side acrylic with the back as a fake rock wall and then two sides and top screen or two sides of fake rock. I was going to cover the drain with egg crate and possible eco carpet so that he can't get near the drain, then placing the plants on top of the eco carpet. I'm going to run his mister up through the opening for the faucet. I'm not super duper creative so any ideas would be appreciated! I'm thinking about building a canopy as well.

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 155
  • sink2.jpg
    sink2.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 141
I can't decide if I want to do one side acrylic with the back as a fake rock wall and then two sides and top screen or two sides of fake rock.

I would opt for more screen sides than fake rock. You can always attach some sheet plastic to the screen sides to hold in humidity if necessary. This will make for a more open light cage for the cham, your plants, and onlookers.

I was going to cover the drain with egg crate and possible eco carpet so that he can't get near the drain, then placing the plants on top of the eco carpet.

The eco carpet will be a pain to change once the plant pots are settled on it. Why not just make a hardware cloth cover the the drain and forget the eco carpet?

I'm going to run his mister up through the opening for the faucet. I'm not super duper creative so any ideas would be appreciated! I'm thinking about building a canopy as well.

Ok guys, I'm upgrading Ferdinand's enclosure. We just bought this awesome laundry sink at home depot. Originally $199 but found it in their scratch and dent section for $99! Anyway, We're brainstorming on building with screen around the sink. I can't decide if I want to do one side acrylic with the back as a fake rock wall and then two sides and top screen or two sides of fake rock. I was going to cover the drain with egg crate and possible eco carpet so that he can't get near the drain, then placing the plants on top of the eco carpet. I'm going to run his mister up through the opening for the faucet. I'm not super duper creative so any ideas would be appreciated! I'm thinking about building a canopy as well.

I would build a frame that same depth and width (whatever height you desire) to sit flush against the sink and then used your preferred plastic lighting mesh, 8 gauge stainless mesh, etc as your floor base.

As for the wall, the one or two wouldn't pose issues if you have the other two and top screened, but I think one (back) would be more visually appealing. When you frame your upper enclosure, just use a 1/4 piece of Birchwood and nix the acrylic. That will give you a good base to use foam or styrofoam sheets for your rock wall.

On the bottom I wouldn't use carpet or any type of substrate. Keep it a mesh or grated material for water to flow through, but not your Cham or feeders. Your Cham should spend very little time on the floor so having that mesh is mainly for the feeds to not get stuck in the tub of the sink.

Oh and be sure to paint and seal the wood framing after it's together, but before you screen. I assume you're going with white looking at the lower vanity, so you can get a good outdoor paint that's mold/mildew resistant. You could also raise the top frame a bit with crown molding or trim to hide your lights and give it more aesthetics.

And if you use staples to secure your screen make sure the staples are stainless. Be sure to use aluminum screen and not fabric as well.

So I've really only been finding the mesh fabric screen at the big box stores. Any suggestions on where to buy the aluminum?

So I've really only been finding the mesh fabric screen at the big box stores. Any suggestions on where to buy the aluminum?

Both Lowes and Home Depot carry aluminum screen. It's right next to the fabric/fiberglass in the screening aisle in rolls.

You will also find the gauged metal mesh in that aisle as well, but I don't think it's stainless so you'd need to get a good coat of paint on it to prevent rust (for the bottom floor.)

In the garden area there's chicken wire, but the mesh might be too wide where crickets could fall through. Another option is the plastic mesh for office ballasts/lighting.

Thank you! I guess I wasn't looking hard enough! I'm going back Friday tp pick up supplies and I'll post photos.

Oh Banksy, you enclosure is beautiful by the way!!! I'm glad I looked at your link! That's pretty much exactly what want mine to look like! Thanks for the inspiration and help!

Oh Banksy, you enclosure is beautiful by the way!!! I'm glad I looked at your link! That's pretty much exactly what want mine to look like! Thanks for the inspiration and help!

Thank you. It was my first time building a vivarirum so don't be intimidated! Most of it was just research and execution.

Most of it was just research and execution.

This made me laugh (in a nice way)! Isn't everything just coming up with the idea, taking all the steps, and investing all the resources needed to make it happen? Sounds so easy!

I made a custom viv a few years back. It wasn't "hard" but it truly was an involved project. Don't sell yourself short. Your viv is lovely and the effort you put into it is obvious :D

This made me laugh (in a nice way)! Isn't everything just coming up with the idea, taking all the steps, and investing all the resources needed to make it happen? Sounds so easy!

I made a custom viv a few years back. It wasn't "hard" but it truly was an involved project. Don't sell yourself short. Your viv is lovely and the effort you put into it is obvious :D

Much appreciated and I definitely agree that it was very involved. I might have went a little overboard with reinforcing and waterproofing, but I wanted it to out last several Chams if needed. A $200.00 project turned into 3x that, loads of time, and lots of trial and error learning. For example, don't use an orbital sander inside your house - it travels through the air ducts. Unfortunately it was the rainy season in Florida and a spare empty room I have seemed like a good idea at the time to do that in.

I just don't want someone to feel intimidated by a DIY build. At the same time it's not something that is done overnight so follow the 6 P's - Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." - Chuck Palahniuk

Haha. I've shown my husband all of your step by step photos and your finished product. I told him that's what I want so he gets to execute. He and his dad are pretty handy and the hubs has a background in building aquariums so I think he can handle it!

At the dollar store I found mesh catch screens for kitchen sinks, they look like a basket. Work great in my terrariums. Happy building!

Haha. I've shown my husband all of your step by step photos and your finished product. I told him that's what I want so he gets to execute. He and his dad are pretty handy and the hubs has a background in building aquariums so I think he can handle it!

Oh you guys got that! Be sure to post pics.

That's another good idea. Just make sure 1 of 2 things.

1: If the PVC is flat make sure the diameter is less than the sink, otherwise water will go over the edges. You could put something heavy inside like a potted plant to create a slope/flex. You could also build a lower floor with a lip that is slightly bigger than the upper enclose so any run off is caught (kind of like a washing machine pan) just perforate the bottom.

2: If perforating the PVC make sure it has the integrity if you put a potted plant inside, if not plant you should be fine. Maybe use clear silicone on the edges to create a lip and prevent run off?

Back
Top Bottom