help with cages for babies

tracysimpson

We will soon have some little babies,waiting for them to hatch in a couple months. I need some suggestions on a cheap and easy and safe way to house them. Any suggestions???

Nice simple and easy where did you buy your lighting?

I bought the fixtures at WalMart and Lowes, the bulbs at ReptMart when they were new but I used old ones for babies because news ones can bother their eyes. My husband made the wooden stands.

I'd look into small butterfly cages as well, at least for the first month. They come in small cube sizes, perfect for a handful of babies in each, and have the huge benefit of keeping all food items in, including fruit flies. Because although they can't fly they do climb the plastic and then escape into the house, meaning that food is wasted.

After the chameleons are large enough to go onto something else, like larger crickets and baby roaches I moved them into the plastic tub setup.

I'd look into small butterfly cages as well, at least for the first month. They come in small cube sizes, perfect for a handful of babies in each, and have the huge benefit of keeping all food items in, including fruit flies.

I haven't used butterfly cages, but I have used both tubs and screen cages, and prefer the screen for similar reasons. I'd go with butterfly if they were in my living room because pinheads and fruit flies, etc can get through screen mesh but the butterfly mesh is smaller.

I also like screen because food items then crawl all around the chameleons, which makes them more easily available for babies to feed on. So in a small screen cage, babies throughout the cage can reach tiny insects crawling on the walls and ceiling, lessening feeding competition and just giving shy feeders a little easier time.

Tubs work fine though- especially if you are feeding mainly pinhead crickets. I'd probably still be using them if I hadn't started feeding lots of baby lobster roaches and fruit flies years ago and needed a way to keep them in (both of these prey items stick to anything and crawl right out of tubs).

Back
Top Bottom