help with Bioactive enclosure checklist

JamesEB

Hi Chameleon forum, first time posting.

I'm getting into the wonderful world of chameleons. I wanted to double-check I have everything for the Bioactive enclosure I am making. I don't have my chameleon just yet, but in a couple of months, once my enclosure is established, I'm thinking panther chameleon.
  • Exo Terra Paludarium Medium X-Tall - 60x45x90 (for bady chameleon)
  • pro t5 12% 24w
  • Jungle dawn plant led light
  • ET glow light reflector
  • Arc basking solar flood 75watt
  • Habistat classic dimming stat
  • Digital Combo Thermo Humidity Gauge
  • dripper
substrate blend -
  • coco fibre
  • fine bark
  • moss
  • sand
  • leaf litter
  • charcoal
  • springtails and isopods
(I plan to have a layer of leaf litter to stop substrate ingestion)

the backdrop:
  • gorilla glue
  • reptile safe branches
  • aquarium silisone (non-toxic)
  • Unibond whiteteq (expanding foam) do people know this brand? Is it safe?

Plants:
  • weeping fig tree
  • golden pothos
  • wandering jew
  • bird nest plant (Asplenium)
  • wax plant (porcelain flower)
  • bromeliad

Thank you for reading my post. Have I missed anything? Is Unibond whiteteq (expanding foam) safe? I love to hear them, everyone.

• pro t5 12% 24w
  • change that to a 6% unless you have a meter. Technically if you put the 6% "in" the cage, its good for 75cm of usable UVB, no reason to double it. Plus you want half the cage height as a dead zone.
aquarium silisone
Un needed. Its better to spend the money on the very high end construction stuff with higher sticking power and longer life. The aquarium stuff came about because of an urban legend. "oh that one person used window caulk and all his fish died". Yea that happens if you dont let it cure completely, and all the caustic fumes(vinegar smell) go directly into the water...
But cured construction silicone caulk is "potable water" rated once cured.

If you want to get the good stuff the zoos use:
https://www.dow.com/en-us/pdp.dowsil-781-acetoxy-silicone.03295036h.html

And yes Unibond white is safe once cured. its just Polyurethane prepolymer, So its just "fluffy Polyurethane" once the curing and propellant are spent.

Last edited:
  • pro t5 12% 24w
  • change that to a 6% unless you have a meter. Technically if you put the 6% "in" the cage, its good for 75cm of usable UVB, no reason to double it. Plus you want half the cage height as a dead zone.
aquarium silisone
Un needed. Its better to spend the money on the very high end construction stuff with higher sticking power and longer life. The aquarium stuff came about because of an urban legend. "oh that one person used window caulk and all his fish died". Yea that happens if you dont let it cure completely, and all the caustic fumes(vinegar smell) go directly into the water...
But cured construction silicone caulk is "potable water" rated once cured.

If you want to get the good stuff the zoos use:
https://www.dow.com/en-us/pdp.dowsil-781-acetoxy-silicone.03295036h.html

And yes Unibond white is safe once cured. its just Polyurethane prepolymer, So its just "fluffy Polyurethane" once the curing and propellant are spent.
Ty, for the advice, I went ahead and ordered myself some DOWSIL 781 Silicone Sealant. I am also happy to hear I can use Unibond.

Back
Top Bottom