help with baby Jackson's Chameleons

BrandonVanHorn

ok i just got a jacksons from the pet store and turns out she was pregnant and just had 14 lil baby jacksons. what i need to know is does the mom have to stay in the cage with the little ones or can they be away from her?

ok i just got a jacksons from the pet store and turns out she was pregnant and just had 14 lil baby jacksons. what i need to know is does the mom have to stay in the cage with the little ones or can they be away from her?

Separate the babies from the mother. There is no maternal care given. And sooner or later the babies may look like food to the mother. I have only had one instance where a live bearer chomped one of her babies before I could get to them (can you believe I was watching her like a hawk, the phone rang, and I came back ten minutes later to babies all over). I will disclose I have never tested to see how long the "do not eat" signal in the mother is good for, but I also probably never will do that experiment. I will also say that I suspect in the above case the baby was annoying the mother by crawling over her while she was giving birth so I don't think it was a feeding response. But the bottom line is that it is best to remove the babies as soon as possible.
Congratulations!

The babies need to be in a different cage the mom can mistake the babies as food and eat them.

Back
Top Bottom