Help with baby chameleon husbandry

cheesechameleon

Hello, you probably know me for my male veiled chameleon, Goose, who is doing very well since my last post. So my uncle is staying at my house because his house has a mold infestation resulting from a major leakage. He brought his panther chameleon eggs and his male and female panther chameleons because of his current house problem. Some of the panther chameleon eggs just hatched today and my uncle has never bred chameleons and is stressing out. He has had some experience from his two adult chameleons when they were young but he bought them when they were 2-3 months old. So the problem is, he has never raised hatchlings before and is almost clueless with the ubv and humidity. I am a new chameleon owner and know nothing about breeding chameleons, especially panther chameleons because I own veiled. He has a 16 by 16 by 30 inch terrarium for the babies when they all hatch but he doesn't know about the lighting. He wants to buy everything before the rest of the chameleons hatch and there is no husbandry information online. If there are any experienced panther chameleon breeders out there, we are in need of help. :eek:

He needs tons of feeders that are size appropriate.... Make sure your chameleon is not anywhere near his too. In case his have parasites or vice versa you could cross contaminate. Most do the bin method for babies.
I am going to tag in people that would know more @kinyonga @jannb

He wants to buy everything before the rest of the chameleons hatch and there is no husbandry information online. If there are any experienced panther chameleon breeders out there, we are in need of help. :eek:
:cautious: HUH‽‽‽ What planet's WWW are you looking on? :unsure:

panther chameleon husbandry

For a starting crash course, read everything germane in the Resources section here.
There WILL be a quiz/test. :p ?

Some of my "go to" sources (in no particular order):

Reptiles Magazine
Clint's Reptiles
Google Scholar (Not the same as regular ol' Goggle)
Wikipedia (Any time I go to Wiki, I make use of the References & Further Reading sections at the bottom of the page.)
Chameleon Academy
panther chameleon resources
panther chameleon references
panther chameleon

@jannb can you link to your photos of baby cages please?

I've always used the same long linear reptisun 5.0 UVB tube light on hatchlings that I use for the adults...just make sure that it's high enough above the cage that the hatchlings can move out of the UVB if they want to.(You don't want it to flood the whole cage with UVB.) I don't use basking lights on the hatchlings either...their bodies are small and heat up quicker than adults do IMHO.

Make sure the mist is quite fine and don't spray it on their faces because they could get it into their lungs doing that. I supplement the same way as I do for adults. I let them eat as much as they can in a couple of minutes at each feeding and usually leave a couple of insects free in the cage for them to snack on later.

Hopefully others will comment if I've missed anything.

Back
Top Bottom