Help! Whats Wrong with my Cham's foot?

PVsPlayHouse

:eek: My veiled chameleon's rear leg appears to be injured. He sits on the branch and leaves it dangling behind him. It looks lighter in color and his foot appears much larger than normal- almost swollen. He is able to move it and will grab my finger and walk on it if prompted. I am very worried about him.

It has been like this since yesterday. He is a one -year- old, male.
Any idea on what is wrong, how it happened or what I can do to help him?
I am posting pics for you to see for yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 153
has he fallen or been taken from his cage a little rough by accident? could be a possible sprain. ive seen a cham with a severely broken limb still use it. incredible pain tolerance. as far as treatment...a experienced vet is always a first response. if he is not dragging it and is still attempting to use while climbing about in the cage.......imo i would give it a little time and watch it. if it swells too big or if swelling spreads further up the limb id take him to the vet.

there is a possibility that it is gout. If that is the case, then you need to see a vet and get meds. Go into the search button and look up words " treatment of gout" and you will find some threads with with some pictures that you can compare your chameleon to. good luck!

If you could take a picture that shows the whole limb that would help a bit. Looks a bit twisted in the pictures you have up. Also if you could fill out the "How to ask for help" thing that would help too.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Vaile gets handled about two to three times a week.
Feeding - Crikets and aviridy of warms
Watering - We ahve a mister that goes off every hour for 15 sec. They drink offtin.
History - Female has bitten the males tail and it got infected about 6 months ago. Tail fell off half way.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen cage 4 feet long by 5 feet high and 1.5 feet deep. Cage is split in two by screen. Female on one side and male on the other. Just put the two Veils in two weeks ago.
Temperature - 85 day and 70 at night.
Plants - Fake plants

Here are some close pictures. The first picture is the good side and second is of the side that is swollen. It is not getting worse and he is still using it. Just feed him as well and he eat. He also just got done drinking.

Attachments

• IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 164
It looks to me like it might be a bad sprain. I had a Bearded Dragon with a very similar injury, it took about 3 weeks for it to be back to normal. I'd still take it to a vet if you have a local reptile friendly one near you, just to be safe.

he was given a shot of antibiotics by our local vet. and i was told to dip his tail in iodine to trat the bit. the tail dried up and fell off.

Back
Top Bottom