HELP what is this?!?!?!?

chameleoman

Avid Member
Can some one tell me what this is my neno found it outside on sun day night on our party and of course im the first they call to go and get it but i don't know what it is it doesn't look like s butterfly because it doesnt have the straw on its mouth it uses to suck out of the flowers it doesnt even look like it has a mouth?

It's some species of sphinx moth. It has a very long proboscis actually, but it is curled under it's head. The proboscis is almost never noticeable unless the insect is feeding (and that goes for butterflies and moths).

It's some species of sphinx moth. It has a very long proboscis actually, but it is curled under it's head. The proboscis is almost never noticeable unless the insect is feeding (and that goes for butterflies and moths).

you mean horn worm moth? arent those illegal to be released in the u.s considered as pests that was my first guess but i didnt take it into consideration

No, not Manduca sexta, very closely related though, there are tons of species of Sphinx moth/hawk moth/hummingbird moth found in the US. Even though they are illegal to be released that does not mean they are not already wild :).

No, not Manduca sexta, very closely related though, there are tons of species of Sphinx moth/hawk moth/hummingbird moth found in the US. Even though they are illegal to be released that does not mean they are not already wild :).

do you think i should just release it?

If you have any doubt about whether it's native to the area, please do not release it. Steel yourself and off the thing, or let it go in your chameleon's cage and let him do the deed.

If you have any doubt about whether it's native to the area, please do not release it. Steel yourself and off the thing, or let it go in your chameleon's cage and let him do the deed.

ive never seen them b4 so. . . ? i dont want to feed it off im paranoid about wild caught feeders i would never risk it (parasites)

If you fed the larvae then the moth is okay, right?

But, if you're concerned, then just squash the thing. Have your girlfriend do it if you are squeamish. Girls hate bugs.

Back
Top Bottom