HELP sick chameleon

My 1 year old chameleon (Layla) has been sick for the past week. We took her to see a vet two days ago and they gave her a injection and gave us medicine to give her to help with her calcium. Yesterday she was doing better She was outside most of the day getting her sun and I would mist her. She was active and responsive. But today since this morning she has been unresponsive:( she hasn't opened her eyes and I've took her outside all morning but all she would do is change colors. I then got her plant and placed it in the shower with her for about forty minutes and I would have the water hitting the shower wall so droplets would hit her and my plant. That didn't help though She doesn't move at all All she does is open her mouth when she is outside and her saliva seems sticky. I try giving her water but she doesn't seem to swallow it. Can someone please help I am scared of losing her:(

I recommend you to fill out a, how to ask for help form to give a clearer picture, is it the vets instruction to give natural sunlight? Is your supplements for indoor or outdoor? Why the long shower do you suspect dehydration, whats your normal hydration as showers only recommended for emergency really or if you use only a dripper and need to simulate eye cleaning.
Your vet gave calcium by injection? Is this for a diagnosis of m.b.d or was the injection a blood sample taken?

Heres the form taken from the stickies
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

Photos of her please.
Has she laid eggs yet?
Do you have an egglaying bin in her cage?
How much does she eat in a week?

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Vei
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------
Photos of her please.
Has she laid eggs yet?

Photos of her please.
Has she laid eggs yet?
We went to the vet and they said she hasn’t didn’t need to lay eggs But I do have a egg laying bin for her She hasn’t eaten all week but I’ve trying to give her water I hate to see her this way

Attachments

• 1881CA20-360A-4603-87E6-4802EA632E20.jpeg
    1881CA20-360A-4603-87E6-4802EA632E20.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 157
Heres the form taken from the stickies
Chameleon Info:
Veiled Chameleon, Female, and she is about a year old. I’ve had her for about 7 months
I handle her every now and then she doesn’t stress out and I handle her as best as I can when I do. I feed her mostly dubia roaches and crickets Every other day And I gut load the insects with whatever fruit I have Mostly apples And mangoes but she hasn’t eaten in over a week.
I dust the insects with Repti calcium and Rep-Cal Herptivite multivitamins
I mist her cage with a misting bottle three times a day for around a minute and sometimes I let her drink from the shower
Lately she hasn’t been eating so it’s mostly water
She was constipated It would be very hard for her to use to restroom and her butt was swollen but we recently took her to the vet and Her butt is not swollen anymore and back to normal
Cage Info:
I don’t have the information on the cage but It came with the bundle off zoo med With the cage and other items But it is a screen cage
I turn on her light at around 10am and turn it off at around 9-10pm

her temperatures of her cage at the top is around 75-80 Fahrenheit and at night it’s around the 70s I measure the temperature with a temperature gun

I don’t have a way to measure the humidity

I have one live plant I’m not sure what it’s called But it has a lot of leaves I can provide a picture
The cage is located in my living room Where there is a fan It is approximately 3 feet above from the floor because I her cage on top of a table
in Houston Texas
--------------

Please Note:
The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Photos can be very helpful.

Veiled Chameleon, Female, and she is about a year old. I’ve had her for about 7 months

I handle her every now and then she doesn’t stress out and I handle her as best as I can when I do. I feed her mostly dubia roaches and crickets Every other day And I gut load the insects with whatever fruit I have Mostly apples And mangoes but she hasn’t eaten in over a week.

I dust the insects with Repti calcium and Rep-Cal Herptivite multivitamins

I mist her cage with a misting bottle three times a day for around a minute and sometimes I let her drink from the shower

Lately she hasn’t been eating so it’s mostly water

She was constipated It would be very hard for her to use to restroom and her butt was swollen but we recently took her to the vet and Her butt is not swollen anymore and back to normal

I don’t have the information on the cage but It came with the bundle off zoo med With the cage and other items But it is a screen cage

I turn on her light at around 10am and turn it off at around 9-10pm

her temperatures of her cage at the top is around 75-80 Fahrenheit and at night it’s around the 70s I measure the temperature with a temperature gun

I don’t have a way to measure the humidity

I have one live plant I’m not sure what it’s called But it has a lot of leaves I can provide a picture
The cage is located in my living room Where there is a fan It is approximately 3 feet above from the floor because I her cage on top of a table
Ok what uvb do you have? What are you feeding? How much are you feeding?

I recommend changing to a t5 linear uvb light, running the width or wider than the top of enclosure to start with i presume its coil type?
Rep cal with d3 or without?

This is too much d3 if your giving it everyday. You need calcium without d3 every feeding except when using calcium with d3 twice a month and also a multivitamin twice a month. I personally alternate sundays between d3 and the multivitamin
The multivitamin should not have d3 either unless you use a multivitamin with d3 twice a month and not use the calcium with d3, sorry if that's confusing.

I agree its possibly vit d3 toxicity plain calcium in its place im not familiar with this brand is it high dose d3?

Your chameleon does not look good at all. The sticky saliva and mouth gaping are signs of a possible respiratory infection. Your first step should be getting her to a good vet experienced with chameleons ASAP! Then we can help you correct her husbandry. If you need help finding a good vet, let us know your general vicinity.

Back
Top Bottom