Help Sexing Penelope

PenTheCham

Hi everyone! So I’ve had Penelope since late September and she was already 6-7 months old, or that’s what I had been told. They told me she was a female. Since I’ve had her, she hasn’t layed any eggs. I have lots of plants, I keep her enclosure at all the right temps and humidity and I have a laying bin in her enclosure. I’ve done everything right. I’m now thinking maybe she is male, but I’m not positive. Can someone help me so I can be sure and then if she is a female I can figure out why she hasn’t layed? This is the most recent photo I have of her, I don’t have many. I know that females are generally more muted tones but she is always very bright tones, even when she’s relaxed and sleeping. Lots of greens, and yellows and some times a bit of turquoise.

Attachments

• ADEA9653-8783-4033-AB2B-41FEA3515D37.jpeg
    ADEA9653-8783-4033-AB2B-41FEA3515D37.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 74
If this is a veiled chameleon, it is a female. I see no spurs on the back feet and the veil is pretty small.

Your chameleon is beautiful by the way!

It kind of doesn't look like a veiled chameleon, but more like an african chameleon
I was told she was a veiled from where I got her, could you tell by looking at her how old she is? By what they told me she’s supposed to be about 11 months but she’s pretty small

Any ideas on why she hasn’t layed yet? I’ve no idea why and I’m worried. I’ve even been watching her to see if she looks gravid but nothing.
She doesn't look big enough to be gravid. How old is she?

@MissSkittles is pretty great and has some experience with female veilds. More than I do anyways.

You need a lay bin in the cage that is a permanent part to her enclosure. It should be play sand or ReptiSoil is what I use. Keep it most so when you dig a tunnel with your finger it does not collapse. With proper husbandry, she will lay them with no problem. Just make sure you give her privacy, she knows what to do!

I was told she was a veiled from where I got her, could you tell by looking at her how old she is? By what they told me she’s supposed to be about 11 months but she’s pretty small
11 months seems about right, my cham is the same size as yours. Mine doesn't get recessive colors like yours has. The yellow spots indicate she is old enough to have eggs. Post a good picture of her belly. Is it lumpy?

She is for sure a veiled chameleon, just thought she looked a little different at first haha. She is uniquely patterned.

She doesn't look big enough to be gravid. How old is she?

@MissSkittles is pretty great and has some experience with female veilds. More than I do anyways.

You need a lay bin in the cage that is a permanent part to her enclosure. It should be play sand or ReptiSoil is what I use. Keep it most so when you dig a tunnel with your finger it does not collapse. With proper husbandry, she will lay them with no problem. Just make sure you give her privacy, she knows what to do!
By what the place I got her told me she’s about 11 months now according to them. She’s quite small though. i have a laying bin with play sand in there permanently and I make sure it’s kept moist. I’m just worried so I’m trying to figure it out

By what the place I got her told me she’s about 11 months now according to them. She’s quite small though. i have a laying bin with play sand in there permanently and I make sure it’s kept moist. I’m just worried so I’m trying to figure it out
Some females are late bloomers. Everyone is different.
How big was she when you got her?

ErlWyxeW8AIZ7Q0.jpg

This is my baby, I suspect she is around 7-9 months old? I know she was definitely too young to be sold when I got her, but you can see she has a little lump. I think she is working on eggs but isn't quite ready to lay them yet.

Attachments

• BC6ABB9D-E87D-4E73-B7F1-E31563ADE88F.jpeg
    BC6ABB9D-E87D-4E73-B7F1-E31563ADE88F.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 09D3B095-B443-44A8-A4CD-E1600D6CF167.jpeg
    09D3B095-B443-44A8-A4CD-E1600D6CF167.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 45A4FC73-9F1A-41D7-9C6F-19BE981D13FE.jpeg
    45A4FC73-9F1A-41D7-9C6F-19BE981D13FE.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 64
Honestly not much larger than she is now. She’s a bit bigger but definitely not by much
How much are you feeding? She could be over weight. It happens fast and it isn't good especially for females, can lead to her eggs getting too big. Five buggies every other day is the correct amount :)

How much are you feeding? She could be over weight. It happens fast and it isn't good especially for females, can lead to her eggs getting too big. Five buggies every other day is the correct amount :)
I do 6 crickets every other day, just because they’re a bit smaller!

Back
Top Bottom