Help - rectal prolapse

I’m glad to hear that what a relief did they give you an anti inflammatory medicine also?
Thank you. They gave us a dewormer and something for pain and inflammation, along with lube and mineral oil to help her with going to the bathroom. She was very stubborn this morning and I had a VERY hard time getting anything in her. Shes been a dark color all day.

Just watched a GREAT video on youtube about medicating a cham with "lockjaw"... it worked!! Got the medication in her! now to figure out how to get her to eat this mineral oil on a cricket. seems to kill the cricket instantly and she refuses to eat anything that does move. When I try to trick her, she normally spits it right out.

Just watched a GREAT video on youtube about medicating a cham with "lockjaw"... it worked!! Got the medication in her! now to figure out how to get her to eat this mineral oil on a cricket. seems to kill the cricket instantly and she refuses to eat anything that does move. When I try to trick her, she normally spits it right out.
Try putting it on a hornworm or super worm.

Update: after spending 4 hours at the emergency vet last night we sent her to surgery. We went to grab a bite to eat while waiting for her and when the dr called she said “pascal is done, awake, and crawling everywhere!” My heart <3! She was such a trooper. We went home and went to sleep. They put her all back together. It was an intestinal prolapse. They think it was caused by parasites from where she was bred. She is a petsmart baby. So now she has to take a dewormer along with some other medications and I have to put mineral oil on a cricket for her to help with passing. But now the problem I’m running into is she’s pretty upset she doesn’t want to move much she hasn’t eaten her food yet today she refuses to eat anything that doesn’t move in the mineral oil instantly kills the cricket. She won’t open her mouth for the syringe to take her medication. She’s being as stubborn as she possibly can be and she’s turning a pretty dark color so I can tell she’s not happy with any of it. I don’t know what to do now ..

We have issues getting our PetCo baby to eat anything non mobile as well....and he is so small opening his mouth for meds is horrible even with many tricks...

What I've resorted to as all meds seem to instantly kill the crickeys, we put it literally on the back of supwrworms. I can see if it flings off easily, and he doesn't waste any time gobbling those down lol.

I occasionally will have to still do the meds by mouth and have used an extremely thin card to pry his mouth, as well as slightly pulling on his chin area but just ever so slightly.

So happy your babe is ok!!! Scary scary stuff. Good work getting her right in, it's what we must do when the few stressful times occur.

Try putting it on a hornworm or super worm.
Shes not allowed to have superworms or this would be so much easier. I went and got wax worms last night and they all died, as they do every time I get them... :cautious: Im going to look around for a hornworm for her today because she will absolutely love that. They were out last night.

We have issues getting our PetCo baby to eat anything non mobile as well....and he is so small opening his mouth for meds is horrible even with many tricks...

What I've resorted to as all meds seem to instantly kill the crickeys, we put it literally on the back of supwrworms. I can see if it flings off easily, and he doesn't waste any time gobbling those down lol.

I occasionally will have to still do the meds by mouth and have used an extremely thin card to pry his mouth, as well as slightly pulling on his chin area but just ever so slightly.

So happy your babe is ok!!! Scary scary stuff. Good work getting her right in, it's what we must do when the few stressful times occur.
Thanks! It is scary! I feel like she hates me right now haha poor babe. I found a video on youtube about giving chams meds when they seem to have lockjaw. super helpful! stubborn stubborn little girl. Just trying to breath easy and get us through the week. Stitches come off on Monday.

Glad to hear everything went well. I have to give my veiled oral meds daily for his gout, and have been doing it for over a year now. What works best for me, is grabbing the mouth from above and with my thumb pull the bottom lip down and slide the syringe in between the two lips. With very little pressure I push it in and he opens up and I stick it in his mouth and empty the syringe. It's the quickest, easiest and seems to be the least stressful way for my Cham.

Back
Top Bottom