HELP pls (not emergency)

TDR7

Hey guys,
So I have a 5-6 month old ambilobe panther, and I’m in a sticky situation here. I’ve had him for a few months and I just recently went back up to college (hour and a half away). An unexpected thing came up and I have to go back for 4 days and come back up. Will the trip up-down, and back up cause him any problems?

I’ll attach pics of him and his cage (kinda to show him off but ya know 😂)

Attachments

• 225438A1-2727-4BCD-97D0-0AC901430409.jpeg
    225438A1-2727-4BCD-97D0-0AC901430409.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 7FE54FED-CF4C-432E-8A91-AC813E9F88A2.jpeg
    7FE54FED-CF4C-432E-8A91-AC813E9F88A2.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 78
Hey guys,
So I have a 5-6 month old ambilobe panther, and I’m in a sticky situation here. I’ve had him for a few months and I just recently went back up to college (hour and a half away). An unexpected thing came up and I have to go back for 4 days and come back up. Will the trip up-down, and back up cause him any problems?
Have you had to relocate him before, and if so, how did things go?

It's impossible to predict how any individual animal is going to respond to any particular event. For example, some dogs LOVE riding in cars, 🐕‍🦺 but there are also some who can't get in a car without tossing their biscuits. 🤮 Some cats (again, riding in cars) will chill in the back window, while others have to be in a carrier so they won't get under the brake pedal, freak out, or otherwise cause an accident. (I recommend seat belts or carriers for all animals in vehicles. ;) )

There are things you can do to minimize effects of transporting your cham—like having him in a completely darkened enclosure or carrier (and he'll likely sleep the whole way 😴 ).

traveling with your chameleon (article search)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Nice colors

Something you may also want to consider depending where you are is a pet sitter if you have no friends/family in the area. They don’t have to be checked on everyday, but having someone come by in the middle of your trip to give food or check lights/misting working properly might be helpful.

Something you may also want to consider depending where you are is a pet sitter if you have no friends/family in the area. They don’t have to be checked on everyday, but having someone come by in the middle of your trip to give food or check lights/misting working properly might be helpful.
Yeah I was going to say you could try to find a "babysitter" for him to just come and check in once a day, leave food, etc while you're away. I have a cham who HATES the carrier and is still pissed at me from moving her three months ago 😂 It really depends on their personality but I don't think it causes any long-term bad effects. It might be a lot to move him so often in such a short period of time though.

Hey guys,

Hi, there! He is gorgeous, but I don’t see enough plants and vines (and branches- just not as much needed) in his cage. Could you possibly fill out the husbandry form on here so we can make sure everything else you’re doing is in tip-top shape, please?

Hey guys,

I agree with @ERKleRose as for the move I personally have been on a car ride with my cham. She slept most of the way didn’t seem to mind being in the car but all chams are different. I brought her cage and since she was a baby then she went in a large cricket keeper that I filled with plants and sticks. I moved her in it in the morning and surprisingly she didn’t wake up but I heard you can allow them to sleep in it the night before so you don’t have to move him. I’d get a smaller cage for him that you fill with the normal stuff required (if you absolutely can’t find a sitter). I heard some people use those laundry mesh hampers. I took food and water with me in the car in case she woke up. I also set up a free range in my car but this doesn’t work if you’re not with anyone else, I wasn’t driving so I was able to watch her in case of anything and she only went on her free range for a few minutes.

Timers are you best friend! I would put everything on a timer, lights, misting ect. , I think if you are able to check on him the day you leave, and the day you come back he'd only have 2 days by himself.
Yeah I have all the lights on a Bluetooth controlled power strip but I don’t have a automatic misting system yet. So prob not the best idea to leave him without water

Hi, there! He is gorgeous, but I don’t see enough plants and vines (and branches- just not as much needed) in his cage. Could you possibly fill out the husbandry form on here so we can make sure everything else you’re doing is in tip-top shape, please?
Yeah I’ll fill it out later today, I’m really just tryin to get those pothos to fill in for vines, just bought the plants.

Yeah I’ll fill it out later today, I’m really just tryin to get those pothos to fill in for vines, just bought the plants.
You’ll need more than just the pothos so the earlier you fill out the form the less you’ll have to worry since you’ll need to go out again and get more stuff. Just saying :)

Hey guys,

I looked at the picture again and saw his poop. His urates are yellow meaning he’s dehydrated. I don’t know if that’s new poop or old poop though. Also is there wire in your cage? I see some and I’d remove it or adjust it since your cham can hurt itself but, like I said there’s lots to fix!

I forgot which form this is from I’ve been in and out of different threads I’ll link it in a few once I find it :)
Wait I’m dumb sorry my mind is everywhere but here.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Wait I’m dumb sorry my mind is everywhere but here.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? If you can bold and put your answers in red next to it like this Just put it next to the questions
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - YBBB Ambilobe Panther Cham, 6 Months, In my care 3 months
  • Handling - Rarely, maybe once every two weeks (10 mins)
  • Feeding - Either (6)super worms, (9) medium crickets or (7) dubia (depends on what they have). Gutload with
  • Supplements - zoomed repti calcium without d3 (every other day). Zoo med reptivite with d3 (every other Friday)
  • Watering - Mist’R lizard spray bottle. Soak the plants make sure dripping, and I wait to make sure he notices the drip
  • Fecal Description - Brown and long with white urate (orange was old one in picture) hasn’t been tested for parasites
  • History - He’s not a great eater or food motivated. Not sure if he’s scared of the tongs or what.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - ReptiBreeze XL 2x2x4
  • Lighting - Heat (mini halogen dome 100W mini halogen) - UVB ( Zilla slimline tropical 25 uvb t8 florescent fixture (no plastic shield) - plant light (6500k light)
  • Temperature - basking (92°) -middle (80°) -lower (75°). Night temp (65°). I use a zoo med thermometer digital to basking spot
  • Humidity - Hygrometer is on the way, but humidifier is on for a good amount of time each day.
  • Plants - 2 pothos, 1croton, 1 pitcher plant, 1 bromeliad, 1 dragon plant
  • Placement - Cage is located in my room, not vents or heater nearby, close to TV. On the floor, nothing big enough to set on. Usually at eye level because I’m on my bed.
  • Location - Denver, Colorado
Current Problem - Just the info

Back
Top Bottom