Help please!

Chameal

HI I just read that if a veiled chameleon is not drinking then you should force its mouth open. Is this correct? I want to make sure before I try it.

how are its urates, with veileds i find it very rare that you ever see them drink. i wouldnt be force watering your cham unless u know what you are doing or are very sure it is waht is required

Mine will drink from a plastic eye dropper. If you drip water over the end of their noses they will often drink. As Hoj asked - how do the urates look? Are they white, part white/part yellow or orange, or all orange? That will determine how much the chameleon is actually drinking.

how are its urates, with veileds i find it very rare that you ever see them drink. i wouldnt be force watering your cham unless u know what you are doing or are very sure it is waht is required

I know it is dehydrated because it's skin is wrinkled and its urinate (is that what is is called?) Is a Not orange but not yelllow either (it is in between) We have tried all kinds of methods and this is our last resort

Your chameleon will quickly become afraid of you for prying its mouth open and it will be a stressful event for all involved. If your chameleon is under stress while you're forcing water in its mouth it could choke on it and aspirate. You want to avoid that at all costs. Have you tried showering him? Mine is particularly stubborn so to sneak some in and teach him to use an eye dropper/syringe I fed him a worm and while he was chewing squirted a few drops in his mouth while it was open. He got a worm, and I didn't have to pry his mouth open so there was no stress. And once he realized there was water he sat there licking his lips and I could get a few more drops in. After a few times he realized the syringe meant water and he will drink from the tip of it now when I hold it up. You just drip it out as fast as he's drinking it. Dont squirt a bunch in his mouth or he could choke. I would try that approach because it's so much easier, safer, and less stressful.

Your chameleon will quickly become afraid of you for prying its mouth open and it will be a stressful event for all involved. If your chameleon is under stress while you're forcing water in its mouth it could choke on it and aspirate. You want to avoid that at all costs. Have you tried showering him? Mine is particularly stubborn so to sneak some in and teach him to use an eye dropper/syringe I fed him a worm and while he was chewing squirted a few drops in his mouth while it was open. He got a worm, and I didn't have to pry his mouth open so there was no stress. And once he realized there was water he sat there licking his lips and I could get a few more drops in. After a few times he realized the syringe meant water and he will drink from the tip of it now when I hold it up. You just drip it out as fast as he's drinking it. Dont squirt a bunch in his mouth or he could choke. I would try that approach because it's so much easier, safer, and less stressful.

Thanks for your help!

I just want to mention that if you use a dropper, you want to use a rubber or plastic dropper. There have been reports of a chameleon biting the dropper so you don't want to use glass. If you can't find one, the easiest answer might be to buy a generic infant cold medication. They come packaged with a plastic needless syringe which is perfect for dripping water onto a chameleon's nose or pushing a tiny bit into their mouths.

Back
Top Bottom