help please

craigb

hi i just got home from work and my panther cham seems to have strained so hard his bum his hanging out he is still walking around i tried to squeeze anything out that was there and some brown poo stuff came out but its still hanging out like a little balloon from his little slit does anyone no what i should do?

Sounds like a prolapse.
I would advise a trip to the vet ASAP. Keep the area moist until you can get him to the vet.
Any pics?

i'm really not sure if any vets round here will have a clue about reptiles i was hoping someone might have had the same problem

Call a vet in your area and ask. If not, ask if they can refer you to a vet that does reptiles. I've heard these things are pretty serious, post some pictures.

Plenty have, advice is the same. If the tissue dries out it will die, then the lizards prognosis isnt so good. Dissolving some sugar in the water you moisten it with will help shrink the tissues, its an oldy but works. Dont try to shove it back in yourself, or squeeze it anymore, you risk swelling and making it worse. Time is ticking mate.

Clarification: Sugar water being of higher ion concentrations and should draw the fluid out of the tissue via osmosis
and help shrink the swelling.
High sugar solutions or honey also have antibacterial properties. Keep the tissue clean and moist at all cost.

Last edited:
Yes many people have had this problem, but there is no home solution. There is a chance that a vet may have to surgically replace it, but at the very least a vet is required to decrease swelling and address inflammation before it becomes infection. Start calling around to see if anyone in your area has any reptile experience. There's nothing you can do but keep it moist as said above and get him to a vet ASAP.

Plenty have, advice is the same. If the tissue dries out it will die, then the lizards prognosis isnt so good. Dissolving some sugar in the water you moisten it with will help shrink the tissues, its an oldy but works. Dont try to shove it back in yourself, or squeeze it anymore, you risk swelling and making it worse. Time is ticking mate.

Clarification: Sugar water being of higher ion concentrations and should draw the fluid out of the tissue via osmosis
and help shrink the swelling.
High sugar solutions or honey also have antibacterial properties. Keep the tissue clean and moist at all cost.

EDITED: This advice is for hemipenal prolapse only. THis may be an intestinal/colon prolapse from the body cavity, which is gravely serious and needs quick vet attention. If you don't know what has prolapsed then don't follow this advice:

I have used the sugar water method successfully. SOmetimes a hemipenal prolapse is a one time event. OFten they will pull it in on their own if you just keep it moist. Often it is a chronic condition that repeats itself because of unresolved causes. A vet appointment is your best bet. However, if that is not possible here is some advice:

Soak his lower half in cool sugar water for 15-20 minutes. You will likely have to hold him in place. Take him out of the sugar water, rinse him off in cool water, and apply a non-petroleum, water based, lubricant (such as KY jelly) liberally to the area. Wrap him in a towel and lay him on a table or your lap. Make sure his head is covered. Have only his vent area and tail exposed. Stretch his tail to its full length. (this next part will sound strange, especially to the men) Beginning at the vent, gently stroke back along his hemipenal bulge and back along his tail. This should stimulate his breeding muscles to retract the prolapsed tissue. The thing to remember is that the tissue belongs in the tail bulge, not his body. So you don't want to try to push it into his body. Just gently stimulate his own muscles to pull it back into his bulge. Be sure to keep the area very well lubricated. This has worked for me.

I don't know all the causes for hemipenal prolapse, but I do know they can be caused by dehydration, or parasites, or damage to the nerves/tissue in that area (such as from a fall or from the bite of another animal). If you get it back in I would recommend keeping him extra hydrated for a while and getting a fecal exam done.

Hope this helps. But this is a last ditch effort. And don't follow this advice unless it is a hemipenal prolapse. Regardless, A vet is your best choice. And if this doesn't work then only a vet will really be able to save him.

Last edited:
The thing to remember is that the tissue belongs in the tail bulge, not his body

I should point out this refers to hemipene prolapse, and may not necessarily be the case with your lizard. Rectal or intestinal prolapse requires experienced veterinary manipulation. I personally dont recommend manhandling the lizard, particularly trying to straighten its prehensile tail, unless your experienced, otherwise great advice.
Vet is best, given the unidentified nature of this apparent prolapse.

Not intended to be anal Gesang (pun intended :))

gesang...are you talking about a hemipene prolapse or and intestinal one. Intestines/colon are inside the body cavity.

gesang...are you talking about a hemipene prolapse or and intestinal one. Intestines/colon are inside the body cavity.

The thing to remember is that the tissue belongs in the tail bulge, not his body

I should point out this refers to hemipene prolapse, and may not necessarily be the case with your lizard. Rectal or intestinal prolapse requires experienced veterinary manipulation. I personally dont recommend manhandling the lizard, particularly trying to straighten its prehensile tail, unless your experienced, otherwise great advice.
Vet is best, given the unidentified nature of this apparent prolapse.

Not intended to be anal Gesang (pun intended :))

Great point. I read it quickly and and immediately thought hemipenal. Have never had an intestinal prolapse in mine, only the hemipenal ones after defecating. My bad. If the OP could post a picture that would be great. But considering the "little balloon" description it does sound like intestinal/colon. It may be an intestinal prolapse. Please don't follow my advice. I don't know if anyone but a vet could help with an intestinal prolapse. And timing then is also very critical to save the animal.

I've edited my original post. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
i'm really not sure if any vets round here will have a clue about reptiles i was hoping someone might have had the same problem

One last thought:

certain conditions, such as a prolapsed intestine/colon are not reptile-specific and any decent vet would likely know how to proceed successfully.

I think it would be dangerous and painful to try to deal with an intestinal prolapse on your own. I'm sure that the chameleon will feel a considerable amount of pain and likely struggle while its being done. The tissues are delicate and even if you can get them to shrink enough that it might be able to be put back in you really risk tearing the tissues and then the chameleon will most certainly die of an infection. The chameleon will likely need medication anyway....and whenever a prolapse is placed back into the chameleon, there is a danger of fungal infection setting in simply because the mucous tissues were exposed to air.

I think your method, gesang, sounds fine for a hemipene prolapse.

Sounds like an intestinal prolapse keep it moist and get him to the vet, OH
YEAH DON'T SQUEEZE IT, or touch it the salt on your fingers will burn to him,

just like to thank everyone for all the help.
i got to the vet and she gassed him put everything back together again and gave him 3 stitches and was back in his house that night and he seems fine so far just acting as if nothing happened. but the vet said just to keep an eye on him for the next 7-10 days would anyone else have any other advice to make sure it never happens again?

Great news craig! Always ensuring adequate hydration, by whatever means (dripper/mister or both even) will go along toward preventing reoccurences since most prolapse seem to be related to insufficient moisture, either directly or in diet.
Re the diet, simply gutloading its insects with lots of fresh leafy veg and even moist fruits will ensure extra source of hydration aswell.
Really nice to hear of a good outcome, I was hoping you'd return.
Best wishes mate, you and the lizard! :)

hi its me again my chem has just started to prolapse again he went back to the vet and they stitched him back up again and want to do an x ray to make sure nothing is stuck.
what causes a prolapse and what can i do now to stop it happening again? cos it not fair on the wee man to go to the vets every few weeks

Back
Top Bottom