Help please

RobStac

Okay so my male veiled chameleon started to keep his eyes closed about 2 weeks ago, he wont eat or drink on his own so I thought I could try to fix it by changing humidity levels and everything but nothing worked, so I took him to the vet three days ago and they said they couldn't get his eyes to open to diagnose what it might be so they put him on baytril antibiotics, I have been forcing feeding him by opening his mouth and putting in a special dog food the vet prescribed that will help because its full of protein and other vitamins as well as pedalyte, I took him back to the vet today for a progress exam and he has gained weight but his eyes and still closed, the vet is unsure and says to just keep giving the baytril and force feeding... anyone have any ideas please help,

I can't help you since I am pretty new, but I know that they will ask you to please fill out the form on the Health Clinic forum so the experienced keepers have the information they need to help you. It might save some time if I ask you to complete the form as add pics if possible.

I don't entirely agree with the dog food idea but fill out the form mentioned and post pics of him. Closing their eyes during the day is not a good sign.

We had another member on here whose vet suggested cat food. Our forum vet Ferritinmyshoes says no. Too much protein. You chameleon can get gout and you will have another problem to deal with. You are better off crushing some bugs and feeding those instead. Also, if there is no infection present, and you are putting him on Baytril that may not be the greatest thing to do either. Closing of the eyes is not always from infection and therefore it might not be necessary to have him on an antibiotic. Fill out the ask for help form in the health clinic and let us see if there is something awry in your set up. It could be a vitamin A deficiency which would not require antibiotic either.

okay, well I cant rly post the how to ask a question part because, he has been moved into a 10 gallon tank with a 60 watt light and a dripper basically, he has a 100 gallon mesh cage but he cant be in it due to the fact he cant open his eyes so he will hurt himself falling, could it be the vitamin a thing, what can I do, I will get what ever helps.... please advise

As previously stated, first fill out the ask for help form which is a sticky at the top of the forum. This will give us a baseline to better understand his conditions. Even if you have recently changed his situation, it is still important to fill out. I too second what has been said, I would not use the dog/cat food and baytril may not be the best option. I would advise seeing a vet that specializes in chameleons. Closing of the eyes can be caused by many different things from lighting to parasites. In recent posts, a lot of the problems with the eyes have been cause by improper lighting.

Back
Top Bottom