help please w/panther egg incubation

DESERT DAVE

SO I AM INTERMEDIATELY EXPERIENCED WITH VEILED'S HAVING RAISED HATCHLINGS TO ALMOST 7 YEARS OF AGE AND HAD THEM REPRODUCE.
NOW I JUST BOUGHT THESE TWO PANTHER FEMALES THAT ARE SISTER'S. I WAS TOLD THAT THEY ARE 3 AND 1/2 YEARS OF AGE. THEY ARE SLOW BUT HEALTHY. THE STORE I GOT THEM FROM IS SMALLER, A MOM AND POP TYPE. NOT THE PET K-MART'S. I REFUSE TO BUY ANY LIVESTOCK FROM THEM. ANYWAY AFTER THEY GAVE ME A TWO FOR ONE DEAL INCLUDING TWO NICE CAGES I COULDN'T THINK IT COULD GET BETTER. THEN IT DID. THE GIRL AT THE DESK WHO I SPEAK WITH ALL THE TIME TOLD ME THAT ONE DID ALL THE NEST DIGGING AND SITTING IN THE HOLE W/HER HEAD OUT FOR A FEW HOURS AND THEN COVERED UP THE HOLE. FROM MY VEILED EXPERIENCE THAT WAS ALL I NEEDED TO KNOW. THEN SHE TOLD ME THE OTHER FEMALE HAD NOT DONE ANY NESTING BUT THAT SHE HAD SHRUNK IN SIZE DRAMATICALY AROUND THE STOMACH. SO BEST CASE SCENARIO I HAVE 40-60 EGGS BURIED IN THESE TWO FICUS PLANTS IN THE DIRT, IN THE CAGES. MY QUESTION IS, AND I EXPECT MIXED ANSWERS, IS DO I TAKE THEM OUT AND INCUBATE THEM PROPERLY OR DO I LET THEM STAY AND KEEP THE DIRT WET.? I EMAIL A BREEDER AND HE TELL S ME TO DIG THEM UP, I READ A BOOK AND THEY TELL ME THEY NEED TO BE IN THE EXACT POSITION AS THEY WERE LAYED OR THEY WILL DIE. I COULD DIGITALY RECORD THE EGGS AS I UNCOVER THEM TO REMEMBER HOW THEY LAY BUT I AM STILL NERVOUS AND WANT THE BEST FOR THEM. THEY DID HAVE CONTACT WITH A MALE ABOUT 6-8 MONTHS AGO. HOW LONG DO PANTHER FEMALES STAY FERTILE?
MY EMAIL IS [email protected] THANKS DAVE

Here's a site with information on incubating panther eggs....
http://adcham.com/html/taxonomy/species/fpardalis.html

I'm afraid of what you might find when you dig them up. If the soil in the pots has been too wet or too dry, the eggs may be no good. :(

You asked..."DO I TAKE THEM OUT AND INCUBATE THEM PROPERLY OR DO I LET THEM STAY AND KEEP THE DIRT WET?"...all I can tell you is that every time I have tried to let chameleon eggs incubate where they were laid, they have not hatched (with the exception of one comoro).

You said..."THEY NEED TO BE IN THE EXACT POSITION AS THEY WERE LAYED OR THEY WILL DIE. I COULD DIGITALY RECORD THE EGGS AS I UNCOVER THEM TO REMEMBER HOW THEY LAY"...some people mark the eggs on the side that is facing up.

The Marking Is A Good Plan. Also I Have Read Alot About The Topic And Have Learned The Embryo Attaches To The Inside Of The Egg Making A Red (blood?) Circle. This Tells Me Position And Fertility Of The Egg. These Circles Are Not Always Visible But Something To Look For. I Never Noticed Them With My Veiled's Egg's. So For Anyone That Has Hatched Veiled's And Panther's Egg's Is It The Same Routine AS FAR AS EGG CARE? I Think The Egg's Incubation Care Is Reflected A Little By The Living Animals Care Needs. I.e. My Veiled's Can Thrive In 95+ Degree Dry Temperature Out Here In The Desert. My Panther's Need 10-15 Degrees Cooler And Humid. Now I Am Not Going To Cook Veiled Egg's In 90+ Temperature But They Seem More Flexible, Relatively SpeekinG COMPARED TO PANTHER'S EGG'S. Thanks For The Help, I Am Off To The Site's You Reccomended.

i unburried the eggs and found 9. i haVE THROWN OUT SO MANY EGGS FROM MY CORNSNAKES AND MY VEILEDS THAT I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE NOW I AM GOING TO HOLD ONTO THEM UNTIL THE SUMMER AT LEAST. I HAVE FOUND MY CAMERA BUT NOT THE USB PLUG WIRE TO UPLOAD PICTURES. I WILL FIX THAT SOON AND LET THE PANEL HELP ME DECIDE. I STILL HAVE ANOTHER FICUS TO UNDIG TOMMOROW THAT MAY HAVE EGGS IN IT ALSO. BUT THAT WILL BE TOMMOROW. I DIDN'T NEED TO MARK THEM AND AS USUAL ALOT OF CONCERN FOR NOT. BETTER TOO CAREFUL THEN TOO SLOPPY.

Last edited:
thanks alot, i dug 9 eggs out of one potted plant and have the other to do tommorow. they don't look great but still decent as far as i can tell. i have learned to never throw anything out until it is obvious and even then give it a week in vermiculite/water at the right temperature. i have had some real sad looking veiled eggs as well as cornsnake eggs come back to hatch. i will post pictures when i have them all dug up and have time tommorow. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom