Help please.. male or female?

MissyMoo

Hi all, im new to this forum but not to chameleons however, Ive only ever kept yemens so i got bought a new addition today. I've read alot of posts on sexing.. i feel female total uneducated guess lol! But was told in store the breeder sold as male to them & so they say definitely male, either way im very excited to have my 1st nosey be but would appreciate anyones input thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170406-181927.png
    Screenshot_20170406-181927.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_20170406-181811.png
    Screenshot_20170406-181811.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
Can you by any chance get some close ups of the backs of his/her hind feet? It's really hard to tell from the side views given, although that's one good lookin cham!

Can you by any chance get some close ups of the backs of his/her hind feet? It's really hard to tell from the side views given, although that's one good lookin cham![/QUOTE
Hi thanks for repl
Slightly confused lol sorry this isnt a yemen so has no spurs if thats what you mean?

Hi all, im new to this forum but not to chameleons however, Ive only ever kept yemens so i got bought a new addition today. I've read alot of posts on sexing.. i feel female total uneducated guess lol! But was told in store the breeder sold as male to them & so they say definitely male, either way im very excited to have my 1st nosey be but would appreciate anyones input thanks
From the look of it and the colors that are starting to come in i would say male. Looks like you have a baby boy congrats.

Slightly confused lol sorry this isnt a yemen so has no spurs if thats what you mean?
Ohhhh that's right sorry about that, yeah that makes it tricky. Considering what you were told when you bought him and his handsome colors, I vote male!

From the look of it and the colors that are starting to come in i would say male. Looks like you have a baby boy congrats.
Thank you! im totally in love with the new addition & cant wait to see the personality develop, im not at all bothered tbh but just extremely curious lol! Usually end up with viv defensive but pretty friendly yet grumpy yemen! Lol

Thank you! im totally in love with the new addition & cant wait to see the personality develop, im not at all bothered tbh but just extremely curious lol! Usually end up with viv defensive but pretty friendly yet grumpy yemen! Lol
Ya its a boy and I had a few male panthers before and they vary in aggression level. i wish you the best of luck just make sure you have everything perfect for him. (y)

Ohhhh that's right sorry about that, yeah that makes it tricky. Considering what you were told when you bought him and his handsome colors, I vote male!
My 1st cham come from pet shop sold as male but was female lol but yemen are so easy as spurs lol this lil one is all new to me just cant get to grips with the whole vent bulge thick tail thing lol.

Ya its a boy and I had a few male panthers before and they vary in aggression level. i wish you the best of luck just make sure you have everything perfect for him. (y)
Thank you! I shall indeed :) im a big fan of yemen but always wanted a nosey be, my boy is huge dont even remember him being anywhere near this tiny lol.

Didnt want to start new post as questions related, dont suppose you could just clarify to me the "kent vent" method lol .. i feel so dumb! I read the entire thread & still absolutely clueless on 99% of pics. Is it just something as times goes on that you pick up or is there an art to it? Hats of to people who can see differences i can only do it with a really visible bulge lol :oops:

@MissyMoo You most certainly have a male. The best method to determine sex is with the bulge, or lack there of at the base of their tail. Your boy has a well defined bulge as you can see in the picture below.
Bulge.png

The easiest way I found is to draw a straight line on the tail and if there is an area that "bulges" out below that line then you have a male. If the tail is straight and just runs right into the vent area then you have a female. This method works for chameleons around your age as when they are smaller it is less obvious and I can't usually only sex younger ones in person as photographs don't give enough detail.

Screenshot_20170406-181811.png

@MissyMoo You most certainly have a male. The best method to determine sex is with the bulge, or lack there of at the base of their tail. Your boy has a well defined bulge as you can see in the picture below.
View attachment 179994

The easiest way I found is to draw a straight line on the tail and if there is an area that "bulges" out below that line then you have a male. If the tail is straight and just runs right into the vent area then you have a female. This method works for chameleons around your age as when they are smaller it is less obvious and I can't usually only sex younger ones in person as photographs don't give enough detail.

View attachment 179995
Ok the lines actually really helped me, as until that point i just couldn't even see what i was meant to see lol! Thank you much appreciated i think im going to continue watching simular threads might actually get the hang of it lol thank you for explaining this to me

Ok the lines actually really helped me, as until that point i just couldn't even see what i was meant to see lol! Thank you much appreciated i think im going to continue watching simular threads might actually get the hang of it lol thank you for explaining this to me

Sure thing! I'm glad I could help :)

Back
Top Bottom