Help please! Humidity level question...

sophiechameleon

I have a one to two month old female Veiled Chameleon (im unsure because the petstore didnt know how old she was) and I keep her humidity in her cage around 40, is this too low? and if so what should it be at?

What type of enclosure are you using?
If its a screen cage, cover the 2 sides and the back with plastic and that'll help increasing the humidity (mist more and more often). If you are using a glass terrarium, mist a little more but careful not to make a puddle on the bottom.
Another way is humidifier.

What type of enclosure are you using?
If its a screen cage, cover the 2 sides and the back with plastic and that'll help increasing the humidity (mist more and more often). If you are using a glass terrarium, mist a little more but careful not to make a puddle on the bottom.
Another way is humidifier.

I have a screen cage and thank you for the tip I will defiantly try it! What should the humidity be at? Im also gonna try leaving a warm wet towel at the bottom of her cage which is supposed to increase humidity...have you heard of this or tried this way to increase humidity?

If you can try and get it up to 60 70 % that would be good, it is ok if it fluctuates lower at times ( not below 40 though ) Aside from more mistings and plastic around the sides, real plants help quite a bit :)

Thank you for the reply suzi :) and thats such great news because today i bought her a Money Tree and a Dwarf Hibiscus so hopefully that will help with the humidity!

can you answer one more question for me please, what should the humidity be at during the nighttime?

Your welcome, veiledcham gave you a lot of good info :) my night time is around 50 to 55 %

The humidity battle sucks.For me there have been two main thing that keep my humidity in the 70% plus. First,lots of well watered plants.2nd a good quality misting system with a superfine spray I use a mistking .The aquazap is the other top misting system. I have mine set to go off every 2 hours and With the last spray 2 hours before the lights go out.This lets the enclosures to completly dry out over night,and keeps molds from forming.

Thank you veildchams for all of your replies =) and suzi i have a hot towel in there right now so hopefully the night time humidity has raised...

and how often should my new veild be shedding? ive had her for 2 weeks and i dont think she has showed any signs of shedding should i be worried?

The humidity battle sucks.For me there have been two main thing that keep my humidity in the 70% plus. First,lots of well watered plants.2nd a good quality misting system with a superfine spray I use a mistking .The aquazap is the other top misting system. I have mine set to go off every 2 hours and With the last spray 2 hours before the lights go out.This lets the enclosures to completly dry out over night,and keeps molds from forming.

I know it really has been the worst part of owning a cham. I hope the plants that i have added will help...

I recently got a mistking and installed it, i had a similar misting schedule to yours but my problem with it is that it shakes and vibrates the cage a lot which really upsets and scares my cham so i stopped using it, do you also have this problem? what should i do about this?

I know it really has been the worst part of owning a cham. I hope the plants that i have added will help...

I recently got a mistking and installed it, i had a similar misting schedule to yours but my problem with it is that it shakes and vibrates the cage a lot which really upsets and scares my cham so i stopped using it, do you also have this problem? what should i do about this?

I have my lines secured to the wall . if the line cant move it cant shake.try going to a garden center that sell drip systems an get some 1/4 tube tie downs.2nd make sure that misting head is tight in a corner bracket. Leave it set to go off every 2 hours during the day for a week. Your cham will get used to it. I have a female veild that just hates it . but she is fat and healthy! and drinks off the screen when it stops.

I have my lines secured to the wall . if the line cant move it cant shake.try going to a garden center that sell drip systems an get some 1/4 tube tie downs.2nd make sure that misting head is tight in a corner bracket. Leave it set to go off every 2 hours during the day for a week. Your cham will get used to it. I have a female veild that just hates it . but she is fat and healthy! and drinks off the screen when it stops.

do you have the actual system secured to the wall also?

and did you purchase the corner bracket off of the mistking website? or do you just have it secured to a corner of your cage?

haha thats awesome! Im gonna set mine up again tomorrow and start it up and shes just gonna have to stop being a brat and put up with it haha!

do you have the actual system secured to the wall also?

and did you purchase the corner bracket off of the mistking website? or do you just have it secured to a corner of your cage?

haha thats awesome! Im gonna set mine up again tomorrow and start it up and shes just gonna have to stop being a brat and put up with it haha!

I made my coner brackets but you can order some off there website. the coner brackets are secured to the cage so that cant move

I keep my veiled around 30-40% between misting, they come from a dry climate and are used to humidity like this. When I mist it goes up to about 70% for an hour before it dries out.

Is it bad to have too high a humidity? Mine is always in the 70-85% range. Should I cut down on misting or remove a live plant?
Screen cage. 4 month old Panther.

us veiled owners are lucky because as we know, yemen saudi arabia is a very dry place at some times. Veiled species are forgiving when it comes to low humidity, but of course, a moderate humidity is good. 40-55% is perfectly fine as an ambient humidity level. as long as you give the cage at least 2 good mistings (one in the morning and one at night) and have a drinking water supply during the day you will be fine, and wont have to worry

Is it bad to have too high a humidity? Mine is always in the 70-85% range. Should I cut down on misting or remove a live plant?

it isnt a good thing to have high humidity for species that arent used to it. respiratory infections can be caused by this

Prior to having a mist king I had a male veiled that was always battling sinus issues and pluged tearducts my vet told me I needed to find a way to get the humidity up. it was running at 40-50% other than just after hand misting. First i added a cool air humidifer and that helped but mostly at the cage it was pointed at.Then I moved a aquarium in that room and the room humidity went up a little more. so as my collection grew I was spending every spare moment misting&setting up drips. Then came the mist king..Chams got healther. Vet trips went down:D:):D, baby survival rate went to 95% plus And I have more spare time. at night while my enclosures dry out the himidity drops to 55-65% This keeps the nasty molds away. Anyway I hope this helps( your humidity is perfect in my opion)

Back
Top Bottom