Help please! Black spot!

Shawn Raquel

Ok, k2 had been missing in the house for two and a half days.. found him two days ago walking on the carpet, he looked a bit dehydrated and slender but otherwise not a mark on him. Everything is normal, he is eating well, back on his daily calc w/o d3 and his bi weekly vit dusting, not lethargic, no sign of dehydration after the first day, sits in on my regular morning shower. Temps lighting all the exact same and in healthy range. About two hours after I put him back in his set up, after his normal shower this morning, I went to say goodbye and noticed this!! Scary! Never seen anything like it before. I searched the forum but couldn't really find anything comparable! I would love any advice!

Attachments

• spot.jpg
    spot.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 250
Did he by chance eat butterworms? The reason I am asking as I have seen a few instances on here where chameleons ate butterworms and their mouths turned black just like that. Some weird reaction or something.

Did he by chance eat butterworms? The reason I am asking as I have seen a few instances on here where chameleons ate butterworms and their mouths turned black just like that. Some weird reaction or something.

It happens with Crested Geckos too. I decided to stop feeding them all together. Not everyone has that experience, but some have. I like to stay on the safe side.

Could he have rubbed up against a lamp trying to get heat?

He absolutely did! I read how packed with calcium they are and ordered 100. He really likes the fatty treat. I've been feeding him just one, as treats, a couple times a week for a few months now. This is the first time I've seen this happen, it faded throughout the day and was almost completely gone by bed time. Yea! :) guess i should do more butter worm research

Attachments

• 2013-06-12 21.16.26.jpg
    2013-06-12 21.16.26.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 195
wow that is crazy! There must be some type of link to this as the other members whose chameleons had this happen had eaten butterworms

wow that is crazy! There must be some type of link to this as the other members whose chameleons had this happen had eaten butterworms

It has completely faded by this morning. :) I agree tho and have stopped feeding them, I'm interested tho so I'm gonna look into it!

I'm glad everything worked out. :)

They like to scare us sometimes, don't they? Lol. Some people have been using Butterworms for years and have never had that issue. But.. others have. I'm not sure if it has to do with the "radiation" the worms get when imported, or if it could be an allergy issue with certain individual animals. It could be something entirely different all together, but that's my guess.

Back
Top Bottom