Help panther dropped eggs on floor

Tannervan20

This is her first clutch and when I came home this evening I noticed there were nine eggs on the floor! She always sleeps in the same spot which is about 8 inches from the floor so I obviously know she just dropped them from there. I quickly ran for the egg bin and carefully placed the eggs neatly in and when I returned from the incubator I found that she dropped 5 more. I have a plastic flower pot with about 10 inches of moistened dirt in the cage and it is easily accessible. She has been going to the dirt the past 2 days to dig a little but always climbed back up in her tree. I put a trash bag around her cage not to scare her. Any advice will help…:( thanks

There must be something that she does not like about the lay bin. Dropping the eggs is not good. She can easily become egg bound. I would probably get a trash can (like a 7 gallon one for an office) and fill it half way with 50/50 moistened soil and sand. Make sure it is not too wet and will hold a tunnel. Then put her in it and leave her alone. Do not let her see you looking in and don't give her a way out. Just leave her in there for the better part of the day. By the end of the day hopefully she will be done laying her eggs. If not repeat until she has. If she does not lay in a couple of days get her to a good vet, they will probably do an X-ray to see how many eggs are left, give oxytocin, and/or recommend surgery to remove the eggs if she becomes egg bound.

Young females can do this their first time. Not too uncommon. Most seem to get it right the next time. The only one I have never seen correct this, had rear hip issues. I think it hurt her too much to dig. Just make sure to give her privacy. They are very skittish the first go around.

You could also try starting a hole for her but I agree with the others that they really need there privacy once they start digging. I usually put a shirt over the front of the cage so she's not going to be bothered at all.

Scott

Thanks for the responses... She's been eating and drinking fine! And hasn't dropped anymore eggs since last night. I do have a trash bag placed over the front of the cage and it's been there for about a week. I think I'll try a different substrate and put her in a trash can. She is also pooping fine and crawling all around her cage this morning(probably looking for more food).

You can apply light pressure to the stomach to feel for bumps but the best way is always an X-ray. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom