Help on Deciding

67RC85

Hello I am glad I found this forum. Let me first give you chameleon lovers a brief description about me. So we bought a Jackson chameleon at the reptile show next to my house in Los Angeles last month. Me and my daughter were doing great well thought we were doing great taking care of Rango our chameleon. But the breeder never told us about the shedding. On how much energy it takes from the chameleon. Rango pass away this past Tuesday and we are so devastated. I’m going to let time pass so we could get another one. I want to know what’s the best chameleon to get for a first timer. Something where we could learn and in the same time take good care of it. Hope you guys and gals could help. Thank you

Hello! I am sorry to hear about your loss. That is devastating. From what I know, Jackson chameleons are a more difficult chameleon to care for. That being said, all chameleons need their environment to be perfect in order to thrive. While you are waiting for time to pass before you get your next chameleon, it may be helpful for you to learn about the best care for these critters at the following places:
- The Chameleon Academy Website
- The Chameleon Academy Podcast
-Neptune the Chameleon YouTube Channel.

What I would recommend, is looking at the care requirements for the different chameleons available and then making a decision based on what would be the easiest for you to meet.

Some good care sheets can be found here.
There is really good information on choosing a chameleon here.

Hopefully, that is helpful!

Hi there welcome to the forum. First I just want to say that shedding would not cause death. I am a bit concerned that you may have gotten an unhealthy chameleon. This unfortunately is common at an expo.

May I ask how old your daughter is? This will help in giving info for what would be best to buy.

But first I would strip the entire cage and do a really good cleaning on it so nothing gets cross contaminated to a new chameleon.

All of the links that @elizaann2 gave you would be a great starting place as well.

Before you get your new baby let us do a husbandry review with you and look at pics of your entire set up. This way we can prevent potential issues from happening.

Hello! I am sorry to hear about your loss. That is devastating. From what I know, Jackson chameleons are a more difficult chameleon to care for. That being said, all chameleons need their environment to be perfect in order to thrive. While you are waiting for time to pass before you get your next chameleon, it may be helpful for you to learn about the best care for these critters at the following places:
- The Chameleon Academy Website
- The Chameleon Academy Podcast
-Neptune the Chameleon YouTube Channel.

What I would recommend, is looking at the care requirements for the different chameleons available and then making a decision based on what would be the easiest for you to meet.

Some good care sheets can be found here.
There is really good information on choosing a chameleon here.

Hopefully, that is helpful!
Thank for replying yes that’s what I am doing right now learning more about them and I want to know which chameleon is best to get . Which one you recommend? Thanks

Thank for replying yes that’s what I am doing right now learning more about them and I want to know which chameleon is best to get . Which one you recommend? Thanks
Panthers are nice because the Panther community is really strong so if you have any issues or concerns there are lots of good places to turn to for answers. There are also a lot of good panther breeders so if you get one from a good breeder they are able to help you too.

Male panther is what I began with and have done well. I think a good thing to think about is your location, enclosure type plan, humidity levels you can maintain. Some chams need perfect conditions and some have small give to thrive well. Good luck though, choosing one is a difficult to do, they’re all special in their own way. 😊

Back
Top Bottom