Help on a food choice

rastamarley

So I have had my cham for a couple years, a jacksons chameleon and yes he rocks.:cool: I have recently been on a kick of trying to not only make his set up better for him but to also make it easier for me. I have done a bunch of different things in his cage setup including a new drainage system that I did myself (with a few ideas from you guys here) and I am quite proud of it! Though I do have more to do.

My next goal is to now make feeding easier. I am sick of going to petco and buying crickets they are freaking expensive at petco!

I also hate crickets because they chirp and it drives me bonkers (I put their cage in the bathroom or outside).

So anyway I am thinking why not just order a bunch of insects online? I know people like to offer different food but what I have done is to just alter what I feed each batch of crickets and it seems to have worked well.

Anyway so my question is what is a good insect I could order online? What is a good site? I want to stick to one main insect to keep things easy, with maybe a second one as a treat every now and then. I did scroll through the other posts but didn't find an answer I was happy with.

Thanks for your time and any thoughts would be welcome!:)

Glad to hear that you are making some improvements for your guy. I would highly recommend a variety of different feeders that are well gut loaded. You can check the classified section where members here sell feeders and maybe get a roach colony going. He may or may not like roaches. Allot of my guys want eat them. You'll ofter see butter worms for sale there and they are very easy to keep. I buy hornworms from Rob at Great Lakes hornworms. He's a site sponsor. He also sales super worms. I buy silkworms from Lady Silkworm when she had them or from www.coastalsilkworm.com. I've also bought from Mulberry Farms. They are a site sponsor too.

hmm Alright thanks only problem with silk worms though is that they get too big for him (and they grow fast) he isn't a a kenyon mountain jackson hes not quite as big as they get.

Anyway thanks for the info I will order something from one of the sights that you mentioned!

silks dont grow as fast as hornworms do.

keep them at lower temps, and they wont grow so fast.

and waht doesnt get fed, you can turn to moths, and feed those. or make more silks.

U can call mulberry farms they shipp what u do is buy 4 week they are not big but not small either, its the big ones that chirp.also if u have a friend nearby with a reptile that eats large crickets u can give them the large ones when they grow.

silks dont grow as fast as hornworms do.

keep them at lower temps, and they wont grow so fast.

and waht doesnt get fed, you can turn to moths, and feed those. or make more silks.

Tell me more about this please! I ordered some mealworms and some hornworms. I plan to be keeping the hornworms in the fridge most of the time, also supposedly they will arrive small and with only enough food so they dont get too big.

Guess we will see how it goes.....

All good advice above from what I know.

Mealworms should only make up a small percentage of feeders as they are high in chitin due to their exoskeleton. This is difficult for your chameleon to digest.

Back
Top Bottom