Help! Not eating!

KamaKamaChameleon!

Avid Member
So my little chamo boy doesn't want to eat anything? I've even tried getting his favorite grub pie and some waxworms but he doesnt even pay attention to them? I think he can open his mouth???

We need photos and please fill out this form

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

• Your Chameleon - Veild, male, . I got him back in 2018?
  • Handling - Once every like two weeks?
  • Feeding - Hornworms, BSFL, mealworm beetles, waxworms (occasionally as a treat) silkworms. I feed 1-2 hornworms 4-6 BSFL, 3 mealworm beetles, and 3-4 silkworms. Every other day, carrots and lettcues sometimes that cricket mix.
  • Supplements - rep cal is the calcium without d3 and the rest is reptive, without d3 every feeding, both vitamins and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks.
  • Watering - I keep the fogger on almost all day and about 3 times a day I go in there to spray his cage, 3 times a day for about 2 minutes, No not normally he doesn't drink infront of me.
  • Fecal Description - A dark brown with speckles of light brown and white and yellow. No.
  • History - didn't get much history.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - He's in one of those smaller starter chameleon cage thinks which I feel really bad for because his big cage broke when we moved and we dont have tools to make another one so we are working on getting a new one. Mesh enclosure.
  • Lighting - Zoo med 10.0 uvb long bulb and a reptile basking spot lamp 75w. 8am to 9pm
  • Temperature - low 90s to 80 at the top and at the bottom is at 70, 60-ish, therm gun and thermometer.
  • Humidity - 60-70%, misting and the fogger I have. Humidity gauge.
  • Plants - Yes, pothos?
  • Placement - In my room, my room has a fan but I never have it on, it is also next to a window but he cant see out of it. Estimate 1 foot ish?
  • Location - Southern utah

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about: So my little chamo boy doesn't want to eat anything? I've even tried getting his favorite grub pie and some waxworms but he doesnt even pay attention to them? I think he can open his mouth and his ankle might be a little swolen??

1593795577927.png
1593795585439.png
1593795596709.png

Supplements - rep cal is the calcium without d3 and the rest is reptive, without d3 every feeding, both vitamins and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks.
Can you expand on this. What exactly and when are you giving it... as is it sounds like reptivite and repcal without D3 are given every other day?

Fogging should never be done during the day when the lights are on this can cause them to develop an RI.

ANd the UVB is the linear T5HO? When did you last replace the bulb?

1593796046731.png
i have rep cal calcium with no d3 and the rest of the supplements are zoo med stuff, I give him calcium with no d3 every feeding and vitamins and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks

also thanks about the fogging I never knew about that!

Uh I dont think it said anything about linear but it is T5HO, I changed it maybe 2-3 months ago?

View attachment 271166 i have rep cal calcium with no d3 and the rest of the supplements are zoo med stuff, I give him calcium with no d3 every feeding and vitamins and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks

also thanks about the fogging I never knew about that!

Uh I dont think it said anything about linear but it is T5HO, I changed it maybe 2-3 months ago?
Ok so then you want to use the calcium without D3 at every feeding. Except every week on one day you will rotate between the reptivite no d3 and the calcium with D3. They should not be given the same day. Rotate back and forth each week so that each are only given twice within the month.

Ok so then you want to use the calcium without D3 at every feeding. Except every week on one day you will rotate between the reptivite no d3 and the calcium with D3. They should not be given the same day. Rotate back and forth each week so that each are only given twice within the month.
Ok will do that!

See my feedback in red bold @KamaKamaChameleon!
  • Feeding - Hornworms, BSFL, mealworm beetles, waxworms (occasionally as a treat) silkworms. I feed 1-2 hornworms 4-6 BSFL, 3 mealworm beetles, and 3-4 silkworms. Every other day, carrots and lettcues sometimes that cricket mix. At this age he is being fed a lot. He should be eating 3 days a week 3-4 feeders max. I can see he is holding fat in his casque. Hard to see the rest of his body with the pics. The fat in the casque appears after they get a fat layer around their organs. This can compromise their organs being over weight.
  • Supplements - rep cal is the calcium without d3 and the rest is reptive, without d3 every feeding, both vitamins and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks. you want to use the calcium without D3 at every feeding. Except every week on one day you will rotate between the reptivite no d3 and the calcium with D3. They should not be given the same day. Rotate back and forth each week so that each are only given twice within the month.
  • Watering - I keep the fogger on almost all day and about 3 times a day I go in there to spray his cage, 3 times a day for about 2 minutes, No not normally he doesn't drink infront of me. Fogger should only be run at night when the cage is at its coolest. I run mine between 12am-5am non stop. Running them during the day can cause a Respiratory infection.
  • Fecal Description - A dark brown with speckles of light brown and white and yellow. No. I highly recommend a fecal if he continues to not eat. Parasites can cause them to stop eating.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - He's in one of those smaller starter chameleon cage thinks which I feel really bad for because his big cage broke when we moved and we dont have tools to make another one so we are working on getting a new one. Mesh enclosure. Really should be upgraded... Being in a 16x16x30 starter kit for an adult male is not a good thing and can cause them stress.
  • Lighting - Zoo med 10.0 uvb long bulb and a reptile basking spot lamp 75w. 8am to 9pm
  • Temperature - low 90s to 80 at the top and at the bottom is at 70, 60-ish, therm gun and thermometer. I would not have basking over 90 for him. Even 90 is very high end for a Veiled.
  • Humidity - 60-70%, misting and the fogger I have. Humidity gauge. Daytime humidity for a Veiled should be 30-50% max. It can spike after mistings. Yours should reduce once you stop fogging during the day.
  • Plants - Yes, pothos?
  • Placement - In my room, my room has a fan but I never have it on, it is also next to a window but he cant see out of it. Estimate 1 foot ish?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about: So my little chamo boy doesn't want to eat anything? I've even tried getting his favorite grub pie and some waxworms but he doesnt even pay attention to them? I think he can open his mouth and his ankle might be a little swolen? Not sure what you mean by grub pie? please explain. If you can take better pics that would be helpful.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about: So my little chamo boy doesn't want to eat anything? I've even tried getting his favorite grub pie and some waxworms but he doesnt even pay attention to them? I think he can open his mouth and his ankle might be a little swolen? Not sure what you mean by grub pie? please explain. If you can take better pics that would be helpful.

This is grub pie I only use it when I order bugs but most of the times the shipping is delayed so I use it for him in the meanwhile, I would normally get crickets but because of the situations currently that has been harder. I don't use it for his main diet though.
1593800153023.png
I appreciate all the advice!

This is grub pie I only use it when I order bugs but most of the times the shipping is delayed so I use it for him in the meanwhile, I would normally get crickets but because of the situations currently that has been harder. I don't use it for his main diet though.
View attachment 271168 I appreciate all the advice!
Ok I understand why you are doing this but I personally would not use this for a chameleon. While the base of it is BSFL they add in additional things. Below I copied/pasted the ingrediants. With the vitamins they add in I would be concerned about the Vitamin A and D3 as both are things we limit for chameleons because they are fat soluble and are stored in their fat and tissues rather then water soluble and easily excreted through urate. Both of these when over supplemented can cause many issues including gout which you will see as swelling in the joints and even gulular area.

Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

Then they also add in all these:
INGREDIENTS: Black Soldier Fly Larvae Meal, Dried Seaweed Meal, Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Dried Watermelon, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate.

Thinking about it, the reason he isnt eating might be gout. That is one of the symptons sometimes they get, im not sure what to do if does have it though

• Feeding - Hornworms, BSFL, mealworm beetles, waxworms (occasionally as a treat) silkworms. I feed 1-2 hornworms 4-6 BSFL, 3 mealworm beetles, and 3-4 silkworms. Every other day, carrots and lettcues sometimes that cricket mix.
  • Supplements - rep cal is the calcium without d3 and the rest is reptive, without d3 every feeding, both vitamins and calcium with d3 every 2 weeks.
  • Watering - I keep the fogger on almost all day and about 3 times a day I go in there to spray his cage, 3 times a day for about 2 minutes, No not normally he doesn't drink infront of me.
  • Fecal Description - A dark brown with speckles of light brown and white and yellow. No.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - He's in one of those smaller starter chameleon cage thinks which I feel really bad for because his big cage broke when we moved and we dont have tools to make another one so we are working on getting a new one. Mesh enclosure.
  • Temperature - low 90s to 80 at the top and at the bottom is at 70, 60-ish, therm gun and thermometer.
  • Humidity - 60-70%, misting and the fogger I have. Humidity gauge.
  • Plants - Yes, pothos?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about: So my little chamo boy doesn't want to eat anything? I've even tried getting his favorite grub pie and some waxworms but he doesnt even pay attention to them? I think he can open his mouth and his ankle might be a little swolen??

View attachment 271163View attachment 271164View attachment 271165
Is it possible we could get some clearer photos? Its hard to see the problem when half of him is covered by a leaf lol

Ok I understand why you are doing this but I personally would not use this for a chameleon. While the base of it is BSFL they add in additional things. Below I copied/pasted the ingrediants. With the vitamins they add in I would be concerned about the Vitamin A and D3 as both are things we limit for chameleons because they are fat soluble and are stored in their fat and tissues rather then water soluble and easily excreted through urate. Both of these when over supplemented can cause many issues including gout which you will see as swelling in the joints and even gulular area.

Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

Then they also add in all these:
INGREDIENTS: Black Soldier Fly Larvae Meal, Dried Seaweed Meal, Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Dried Watermelon, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate.
dont want that in my chams stomach

Back
Top Bottom