HELP New to the forum we have a Jackson

Moejoe622

I tried to post one of these once already but I think I deleted it...I have been on the last few day researching like crazy. :) Our little man has lost a couple toe nails on his back feet I am guessing they got caught in the screen. But I was looking him over closely and his front hand looks swollen (I am scared it could be that mbd thing or gout) and he has a bump on it he has a bump on his back also next to his spikes that one has been there a month or so no worse no better and it didn't seem to be hurting him so i didnt worry.... I took him to the vet today to have him checked out. They want to do xrays to look at his wrists and the bump the doc thinks may be an absess and wants to maybe cut it I am really nervous about that because I am worried it could get worse or just stress him out for nothing. SO I am here to ask the experts.... I am including some pics one is of his enclosure the one of him curled up sleeping inside it is the first day we got him I was told he was about 3 or 4 months then...that was back in December, the rest are from today some are not so good because they are from my cell phone and some from a camera my 12 year old so is holding him at the vets office so you can get an idea of his size. Please any help or advice would be WONDERFUL!!! I have been cruising this site for days there is so much information here. I know I have to now feed him more than just crickets, and get him a multivitamin :) but I am still trying to learn more. Thanks :eek:

Attachments

• 2012-01-03_18.16.25.jpg
    2012-01-03_18.16.25.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 2012-06-19_07.45.33.jpg
    2012-06-19_07.45.33.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 143
  • 2012-06-20_17.22.58.jpg
    2012-06-20_17.22.58.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 151
We have to take him back to the vet in the morning so they can get better xrays the guy who works the dental xray machine was already gone...also I was hoping someone could tell me if I should let the vet cut his back she was saying maybe sedation it just seems like a lot of stress for him...Help :)

I agree that in one pic his foot does look swollen around the "wrist". An xray would be a simple way to see if there is any joint damage, fluid buildup, or old injury. When one of my chams lost a claw the entire toe tended to swell and get stiff for a while, but once the damaged nail bed healed the toe was OK. I would think that articular gout would show in all his ankles at once, not just one. What do you dust with (be specific), how often, and what is your gutload? What brand of lighting and how old are the bulbs? Might help us rule out gout or early MBD (don't see other signs of that).

If the vet does not check in to the lumps surgically they could cause more problems down the line...which will stress your cham. If the vet does open them to see what's going on it will obviously stress him as well, but at least you will know what they are and they could heal without any complications. Maybe he could use a local anesthetic instead? I'm not experienced with that. He looks in good shape overall so he may handle treatment just fine. The foot lumps would concern me more than the one on his back. That might be nothing more than a long-healed injury.

Thank you for the response :). I am more nervous about his little hands an wrists the whole front of his arms look swollen and the feel soft a squishy like fluid buildup. The one in the pic is more swollen than the other side. They did try the xray today but they couldn't get good pics. I am taking him in the morning and she is going to keep him for the day. Btw, he has lost two claws on his back feet one on each side will they grow back? I dust with Repti calcium with D3 but only like evey 2 weeks, and the gut loading I was feeding the crickets whatever I had around the house carrots or some orange slice. But mostly I didn't do it because I was buying 12 to 24 crickets every other day and assumed the pet store was gutloading them ( I now know I was supposed to be) I had that yellow gel stuff but it seemed to kill them, so recently I got the fluckers orange cube things but I have been reading they are not good either . Lighting have the reptisun uvb 5.0 I bought it with him the very end of December so about 6 months and a basking light I think...it keeps him warm.

Sorry your having problems with your little guy. I think it would be a good idea if you could fill this out. It looks like you may have multiple issues going on with your care. His cage set up is not ideal IMO. A live ficus tree and some appropriately sized branches would be much better. He needs branches he can grasp like 1/4 or 1/2 inch wide.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Hi!

He's a beautiful chameleon! I'm jealous because who doesn't want a little Triceratops in the house?

I'm not 100% sure I agree with the theory that gout would show up in all ankles at once. It doesn't work that way in people I see no reason it should work that way in reptiles.

However, the idea that it's caused by the torn out nails makes perfect sense to me.

As to the bumps....well, bumps happen. Some are bad, some are innocuous. If it were my chameleon, I would put this on the "measure and observe" list. You've got good pictures of them. Take more pictures next week and compare. If either or both is getting bigger, then it's back to the vets to see what's going on. If not, then do pictures and comparison in another week. Keep an eye on it until you feel comfortable saying "it's just a bump". That's just what I would do with it.

Thanks everyone,
Action Jackson: How do I get that form with all the questions to answer to come up I kept looking for it last night and couldn't find it. I will fill it out as soon as we get back home today. We are heading to the vet this morning for the xrays again to see what is going on with his feet. And after reading all the treads here and seeing pics I realize he needs more plants in his cage I was always worried it would be too crowded for him but I see now he would probably like that he has smaller fake vines running through and he sleeps in the back and climbs to the top every moring forone of his little showers and waits for crickets and his lights to come on :)
Elizadolots: Thanks for the beautiful comment, he is just the sweetest little guy too,,, the bump I have been watching closely for the last at least month maybe two it hasn't changed so I wasn't concered when one toenail was sore before he actually lost it you could tell it was sore when I tried to touch it or look at it he moved his little foot back or jumped a little. But his back feet each lost one toenail his front feet are the ones with swollen limbs so it cant be from losing a nail :( The bump if you touch he doesn't even realize it , what I mean is it doesn't seem to cause him any distress.

So xrays today will give us some answers, I just hope she is a good vet she said something about maybe feeding my crickets dogfood for more protein! and I am sure from reading these treads that is probably not a good idea. Thank you guys for all your help I will post tonight.

At the bottom right of my post above click on "quote" that will bring up everything I posted. You can edit out my comments and type in your answers after the questions. Good luck at the Vet.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info: Cameron is his name :)
Your Chameleon - Jackson chameoleon don't know which kind. Male I think he is about 9 months old. I was told he was 3 or 4 months when I bought him. How long has it been in your care? 6 months we have had him.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? about once a week he is so friendly but we don't like to bug him.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? mostly just crickets he has had superworms once or twice also. What amount? at least 5 or more med crickets a day, may skip a day during the week. How are you gut-loading your feeders? I kind of wasn't if I had the crickets more than a day I would give them what ever was around carrots or and orange slice but I was buying them every other day and assumed the pet store gutloaded them I know now thats not right. I also gave the flucker orange cube things but I know now those are not great either.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I only have the calcium powder with d3 I was giving it to him about every two weeks on like 3 or 4 crickets.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? he has ahabba mist auto sprinkler thing. How often and how long to you mist? every 3 hours for I like 25 or 30 seconds. Do you see your chameleon drinking? yes he loves it, I use distilled water don't know if thats good or not.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. he goes a lot solid brown with white bird poop looking part. The white part had a little yellow the last 2 weeks so I made his mister go for longer. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? probably not, I had him at the vet the last 2 days though so I will have to find out if she checked for that.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) screen What are the dimensions?30" tall 16 wide and 16 deep
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? 5.0 reptisun UVB and a basking light for heat, What is your daily lighting schedule? the lights are on a timer 7am on 7pm off
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?where he sits most of the time is 80-82 at the top then he climbs down behing his plants it is about 76 Lowest overnight temp? 72How do you measure these temps? I want to get a digital one or a gun... right now I just have the stick on liquid crystal thermometer. Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 50-60% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? I guess the mister but I live in Florida so it is pretty humid. What do you use to measure humidity? Hygrometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? No I need to get some If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? in the corner of the dining room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No not at all. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 55 inches
Location - Where are you geographically located? Right outside of Daytona Beach Florida...very excited to go to the reptile show coming up.

Current Problem - Took him to the vet last night and back today for swollen hands and some bumps one on his back near his spikes and one on his hand.
Pictures are helpful

The pictures are at the start of the tread. The vet was really nice she said the bumps were actually absesses and she cut and cleaned out the one on his back and the one on his hand. She took xrays but said the wrist area never came out very clear so maybe fluid or infection, she gave him a shot of antibiotics (Ceftazedime) and wants to continue them every 72 hours...and I am to clean out his bumps twice a day with betadine. She had him most of the day today she said he tolerated the wound clean outs very well, lol. He doesn't like it when I touch them he gets a little dark. So does all this sound right to you guys?

Chameleon Info: Cameron is his name
Your Chameleon - Jackson chameleon don't know which kind. Male I think he is about 9 months old. I was told he was 3 or 4 months when I bought him. How long has it been in your care? 6 months we have had him.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? about once a week he is so friendly but we don't like to bug him.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? mostly just crickets he has had superworms once or twice also. What amount? at least 5 or more med crickets a day, may skip a day or two during the week. How are you gut-loading your feeders? I kind of wasn't if I had the crickets more than a day I would give them what ever was around carrots or and orange slice but I was buying them every other day and assumed the pet store gutloaded them I know now thats not right. I also gave the flucker orange cube things but I know now those are not great either.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I only have the calcium powder with d3 I was giving it to him about every two weeks on like 3 or 4 crickets.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? he has a habba mist auto sprinkler thing. How often and how long to you mist? every 3 hours for I like 25 or 30 seconds. Do you see your chameleon drinking? yes he loves it, I use distilled water don't know if thats good or not.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. he goes a lot solid brown with white bird poop looking part. The white part had a little yellow the last 2 weeks so I made his mister go for longer. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? probably not, I had him at the vet the last 2 days though so I will have to find out if she checked for that.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) screen What are the dimensions?30" tall 16 wide and 16 deep
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? 5.0 reptisun UVB and a basking light for heat, What is your daily lighting schedule? the lights are on a timer 7am on 7pm off
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?where he sits most of the time is 80-82 at the top then he climbs down behing his plants it is about 76 Lowest overnight temp? 72How do you measure these temps? I want to get a digital one or a gun... right now I just have the stick on liquid crystal thermometer. Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 50-60% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? I guess the mister but I live in Florida so it is pretty humid. What do you use to measure humidity? Hygrometer
Plants - Are you using live plants? No I need to get some If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? in the corner of the dining room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? No not at all. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 55 inches
Location - Where are you geographically located? Right outside of Daytona Beach Florida...very excited to go to the reptile show coming up.

Current Problem - Took him to the vet last night and back today for swollen hands and some bumps one on his back near his spikes and one on his hand.

So it has been 2 antibiotic shots so far they gave him Ceftazedime. Does anyone know if that sounds right? He is eating less but that may be expected because of the meds and being bothered...? Today I think his eyes may look swollen his little hands do look less swollem his bumps seem to be healing ok we are going back to the vet Tuesday for another shot I am just nervous he really seemed fine before I took him to the vet he had just lost a couple toenails and had 2 bumps so I wanted to have him checked but I just hope we are doing the right things and not making him sicker!!

Does anyone have advice on the antibiotics?

:confused: I am going to take my little man back to the vet tomorrow for his third shot of antibiotics just not sure if they are the right kind of if he is getting too much he hasn't been eating much the last 2 days maybe one cricket or 2. I thought his eyes looked a little swollen but now I think i am just getting paranoid :) His arms look less swollen but he is sleeping a lot and not eating he is sheding quite a bit though maybe from the swelling going down? The vet is thinking 10 doses of the antibiotics but would just love some more opinions on meds for him. Thanks everyone. Here are some new pics from today, not the best because I try not to bother him he has been though enough...

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 93
I noticed you said you mist him for like 35 to 40 seconds each time? You might want to up that as Montane species are use to much more water than most species and can easily dehydrate. I leave mine on for 5 minutes at a time as they sometimes do not start drinking till the end of the 5 minutes when there is plenty of water dripping in the cage. You should also have a dripper dripping water all day. Like others said you need more vertical branches going all the way across the cage at different levels. I use push pins to secure the branches in the cage.

Thanks I am working on his cage I got another bunch of smaller vines and need to get a plant to put in there. My mister is more like a shower it never really mists its alot of water coming out at once so the cage stays wet a long time. Also it drips into the cage when it is full. I am looking at some other brands so I can get one that could run longer. He usually drinks in the morning when it goes off but the afternoon he might lick the water off the leaves but doesn't drink as much he was doing great ( I thought) until I took him to the vet but I guess if could just be him getting worse all at once, he still looks good and acts cheerful bright colors but the not eating when normally he is a little pig is weird...where the vet cut his hand he isn't griping much with that one but probably because it is sore... when I clean it, it still hurts him a little. :(

X-rays

Cameron is on his 5th shot doesnt really seem much better or worse, the only part that seems worse is when he sleeps he lets his front arms just hang he only only holds on with the back feet. He still grips very tightly with the back feet but not so much with the front ones...these are the xrays the vet took.

Attachments

• file_1.jpg
    file_1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 95
  • file_2.jpg
    file_2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom