Help needed

Hi all I have just come home from to find gaston with what looks like to be a blister on his casque I was wondering if anyone can give me advice.please help as worried it is serious.

Attachments

• 20201013_171133.jpg
    20201013_171133.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20201013_171353.jpg
    20201013_171353.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 81
  • 20201013_171340.jpg
    20201013_171340.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 89
That is a thermal burn... Basking temps are either too hot or he can get too close to the fixture or both. You need to take him to a reptile vet and get silver sulfadiazine cream to treat the burn. Otherwise he is at risk of infection along with it taking much longer to heal.

That is a thermal burn... Basking temps are either too hot or he can get too close to the fixture or both. You need to take him to a reptile vet and get silver sulfadiazine cream to treat the burn. Otherwise he is at risk of infection along with it taking much longer to heal.
Thank you I have moved his basking branch down so he is further away from it and I will have to try and find my nearest reptile vets to see if I can get the cream.

How would I put it on him as he doesn't let me touch him.

It is at the max temp it should be at which is
I keep my males no hotter then 81 at basking. The hotter the temps the shorter the lifespan.

How close does his casque get to the fixture? For example I keep a full 9 inches between casque and fixture with a 60 watt bulb.

Thank you I have moved his basking branch down so he is further away from it and I will have to try and find my nearest reptile vets to see if I can get the cream.

Typically with a qtip you generously apply the cream two times a day. It may be tricky if he is not used to you but it is important. I have seen some nasty stuff with thermal burns in the forum. They really need treatment to heal faster and properly.

I keep my males no hotter then 81 at basking. The hotter the temps the shorter the lifespan.

How close does his casque get to the fixture? For example I keep a full 9 inches between casque and fixture with a 60 watt bulb.

So on my habitat I should keep that at about 81 and not 86

His basking branch is about 10inches as via pic

Attachments

• 16026140586395981579672678345760.jpg
    16026140586395981579672678345760.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 70
So on my habitat I should keep that at about 81 and not 86

His basking branch is about 10inches as via pic
Is this now it is 10 inches? Or before when he got the burn? I would personally drop the temp. What bulb strength are you using?

assuming the top of the cage is screen and the light is above the screen....moving the branch where he sits to bask down might not prevent another burn.mif there is any possibility he can climb on the screen again he could get another burn because the bulb is still just as hot. It's better to raise the light up higher so he can't get close enough to get burned IMHO.

assuming the top of the cage is screen and the light is above the screen....moving the branch where he sits to bask down might not prevent another burn.mif there is any possibility he can climb on the screen again he could get another burn because the bulb is still just as hot. It's better to raise the light up higher so he can't get close enough to get burned IMHO.
I am going to get a stand for the light to raise it off the viv

Has your Cham been spending any kind of significant time outdoors and if so have you been still providing them with Calcium without D3 consistently?

Ok then it's probably just like what everyone said it is a thermal burn. Thanks for answering the question.

The vet will instruct you on that. If you're unsure, ask. Good vets have to be teachers as well, and they know it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom