Help my veiled chameleon!

HandBag

Hey,

So I've had my guy for 5 years. I'll spare you with the details of his cage, lights etc because he's thrived all these years...however he's become lethargic and today I put him in the bath which he usually hates and responds to negatively...or at least actively. Today nothing..he sunk and is alert but not like before...he's not eating crickets since he's discovered cherries. I've always fed him crickets and gut loaded them appropriately however in the last week he seems like he's disinterested.

The vet I took him to which is not my normal vet was less than good with exotics..he's drinking, not eating though...

My fear is his old age and his new love of cherries VS crickets or super worms and his hunger strike is not good for him...nothing else in his life has changed. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I hope some veterans jump in here but I am not sure what you mean by bath. I have never heard of people submerging their chams. Since they live in trees I am not sure this would be a good idea. I have hear that chams will go on a hunger strike when they really want a certain type of food. Most people will not give in and the cham will usually begin eating normal again. That said yours is a little older and not sure he will be the same. I would also outline the rest of the cage and care so that others will be able to see if the new behavior can be linked to a care type problem.

Sorry you guys are right. I hear a lot of banter on here. I've heard of people giving their chameleons "baths" or running warm water on them. I've done this two times before and he usually reacts actively. This time...nothing. Confirming his lethargy.

His cage/lighting warmth have been consistent for 5 years. The newest thing is the cherries and refusing to eat his crickets/worms. Other than that, his poop is white and brown as it should be, and he's having normal bowl movements. I have noticed his tongue not extending as much over the last month when he was eating crickets, seeming like he's lazy and just not wanting to put out much effort. But now, the eating strike after his love of cherries is bothersome...

Any help is much appreciated. I've got him scheduled to go to my vet who know's exotics on Thursday but I know chameleons go down fast and want to not have that happen!

Thanks!

What supplements are have you used and what type of lighting, temps, humidity, etc. I know they are consistent, but if they are "wrong" they could do damage over time. If they are correct, you could just have an aging chameleon and it could be his time. What about pictures? All the details will help.

You seem knowledgeable and would love to phone you? Not sure how to give you my number privately? Seems too long to message!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? He's a veiled chameleon, male and I've had him almost 5 years in September
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I've handled him a lot as he came to me and was not afraid from the get go
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Main diet has been crickets, and occasional super worms. The crickets are gut loaded with salad, tomatoes, fruits, veggies, tons of different fruits. Non citrus mainly...
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust his crickets with calcium non D3. Also give him water with calcium in it...
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I spray him two times a day and he drinks from the bottle every day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His fecal is normal from what I see in photos. Very white and brown. With the cherries it's been a bit runny
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Cage is small for his size. However he's only in it when not soaking up sun in the window in his tree. Cage measures 30 x 17 and is mesh.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Using 100 watt power sun and if there is sun in san francisco, he sits in the sun most of the day. The windows are old and don't block uv (Ive had them tested) When it's foggy, he's in his cage with the power sun.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? My guy has never wanted the high heats advised for veiled chameleons. I used to heat him up to 85 with humidity at 60% and he would gape and be miserable. My vet advised to gradually reduce heat until he stopped gaping and that happened at about 75. I'm in SF so it's not humid here so I have to produce humidity.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a gage that measures humidity and it's around 46% daily. He seems fine with that up until now...
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? He has spent the majority of his life in a ficus tree and his cage is full of ficus and sticks for his climbing. As I said, he's not in his cage much.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? His cage is elevated 7 feet tall
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I'm in SF CA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Thank you!! Lethargy and eating cherries and refusing to eat much else....and age. Also are there supplements for older chameleons that are good that you might have heard of?? Thanks!!

IMG_4637.JPG

So I wouldn't say everything is perfect, but 5 years is nothing to take lightly. As far as I know all glass blocks UVB so hopefully he is getting it from other light sources.
My veiled was a very picky eater and I always worried about him getting enough supplements. Near the end of his life he was basically hand fed silk worms and although he never drank much when younger, he would drink for minutes at a time the last few months. He was having trouble catching food and would eat carrot shreds, kale and romaine from his feeder bowl.
It could very well be that your boy is simply getting older and his needs are changing. I would try to limit the fruits though and try some greens or small carrot shreds to try to break this habit.
A vet visit could be a good idea if you have one you can trust with chameleons.

Hope he is doing better soon!

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I have an appointment later today with a guy in SF who seems a bit more knowledgable about Chameleons. He still is not eating but had normal bowl movements today and yesterday so that made me feel better. He did this eating strike about two years ago and the vet gave me supplements and he bounced right back...Fingers crossed.

Interesting you say ALL windows block UVB. Is that true? That could be the major problem. I've moved to a new place about 4 months ago. The windows are really old like 1920's and I was told by a window guy that the don't block UVB. So, I've felt confident to leave him in the window, which he loves, all day. However, if he's not getting what he needs that could be the problem he's having.

I'm also concerned about his tongue. He's being incredibly lazy when he shoots out his tongue...

I'll let you know what I find out and thanks again for your help/suggestions! If you'd told me 5 years ago I'd be in love with a lizard...I'd have said no f*****g way! But alas, I love this guy....

Yes, glass blocks UVB spectrum. He was likely comparing the glass to today's Low-Emmisivity (Low-E) panes that block infrared and are more energy efficient blocking heat and protecting fabrics and furniture.

Hey, wanted to report on the vet visit. His blood work was good, not lacking in supplements or vitamins. The UVB is still a question and I've started him on Emeraid IC Carnivore. He's had it before which he responded to beautifully a few years back. He already seems more active and hopefully he'll be eating again shortly like last time.

I told the vet about his temperature. He's always liked it "cooler" as he will gape and seem generally uncomfortable at 90 and above. He seems most comfortable at like 80. The vet looked at his mouth and said she's heard of veiled's not liking the extreme hot temperatures and can be perfectly healthy at lower temperatures. Is that true in your opinion? My previous veiled chameleon loved it at about 98 but this guy looks like he's dying at that temperature....

Thank you!

I would keep him at lower temps if that is what he is showing he wants. Regular ambient temps of 75-80 degrees with a basking site about 85 to 90 would be fine. If he likes the lower end of 85 for basking he should be fine. You have to be able to read your chameleons behavior for what it is.

My chams spot is around 86 and after he sits there a bit he will open his mouth but not move. I read veiled tend to do that. I think another problem is we measure the temp of the stick at the backing spot but their backs are closer when they are on the stick so it will likely be hotter on their back then on the stick. So I'd the basking stick is 90 then his back will be higher. I aim for mid 80s at the stick. It goes up and down during misting and dry points.

Last edited:
Have any of you had experience with Emeraid IC Carnivore? HandBag seemed to be doing better yesterday however today he's weak and closing his eyes some which I know is never a good sign.

This is breaking my heart! I've read in other posts chams will drink lots of water before passing and he's not doing that...I just started him on the Emerald IC so I'm hoping it will kick in today. He went to the vet Thursday and Saturday. Thursday the guy didn't know much so I took him to another one Saturday that seemed to know chameleons well. She said his blood work looked really good....

He's 5 years old...could it just be his time???

Hey guys..I'm so happy to report that HandBag has completely turned around and started eating again...about an hour ago..he went from lethargic to eating 4 worms...not always ideal but he hasn't used his tongue in a week...he also seems stronger within hours of the Emeriad IC Carnivore solution... i'm so pleased....

I'm no expert but if he's doing better every time you give him the Emeriad IC Carnivore solution then it might be a problem with your supplements are you giving him any besides calcium? for my panther, I have a few different vitamins that I both dust and gutload.

I'm no expert but if he's doing better every time you give him the Emeriad IC Carnivore solution then it might be a problem with your supplements are you giving him any besides calcium? for my panther, I have a few different vitamins that I both dust and gutload.
Yes I'm also giving him pre formed Vitamin A...that was suggested by the vet! He's eating again and seems to have made a full recovery:)

Back
Top Bottom