Help my Panther Chameleon!!! PLEASE!!

leolover

Hi, well i did tons and tons of research before finally purchasing my $350.00 panther chameleon. I knew that this was going to be a big responsibility and I wanted to make sure that I was ready. I bought from a very expierence breeder. i also bought my entire enclosure from them as well. I added my own vines and plants to decorate. I wanted to give him the best start ever. I thought that we were on a good path till a couple of days ago when he went from eating about 20 crickets a day, to maybe 3 or 4. I had been feeding him out of a cup and he was doing great with that. After he stopped eating I thought that it was because of the cup, so I started putting the crickets directly into the cage. He ate a few up and then stopped. Now he is back to not eating and we are going on 4 days. As far as I know, he is only 3 1/2 months old and I thought that he should be eating around 30 bugs a day. I dont know what to do to get him to eat or if this is something that is normal. He is still pretty active wondering around the cage, and I know that he sees the crickets because they walk right in front of him, and he doesnt care!!! I am really really worried and want to take care of this before it is to late. I have only had him for 3 weeks and im not ready for him to go!! Please help with anything you can!!!! Thanks so much!

How big is he? (Not how old.)

Do you have a substrate in his cage?

What it the basking temperature? Is he basking?

What brand and type (compact or tube/linear) of UVB light are you using? Does it have any plastic or glass over it?

Are you dusting the crickets?

30 a day? wow that is alot man ....... What is his setup like? give us some spec ..... is he drinking?

Were going to need more info from you on your husbandry as well .... Like humidity .... temperature ..... Suplimentation .... There is a thread here on how to ask for help and a questionar that you fill out to give us as much info as posible ... I'll try and find it for you ....

30 a day is a bit excessive, usually 12 to 18 is a good number.
if you fill out the Q in how to help, we will help you as much as we can.

If you're just giving it crickets
there's a chance that it's sick and tired of eating them
perhaps a few meal worms or try feeding the crickets
some type of fruit (orange slice) before presenting to the panther
that'll give them a different flavor.

A wax worm would be a great idea as would a housefly (available online)

I've had my animals tun their noses up at "old crickets" but then run after
the fresh ones that have just filled up on apple and grape slices.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom