Help. My Chameleon will not allow me to touch him

LILMISSMILL3R

We recently moved our Chameleon into a bigger enclosure. We now have automatic lights and a mister as well. He was in a 30 gallon glass tank and would come out all the time and climb on us and explore and what not. I know this isn't normal and it was due to the too small of a home. he is now in his bigger home with all the live plants and as much space as he could need. The problem is he hates us now. He will not let us get to close to him with out hissing, whipping his tail and even snapping at us. He puffs up and gets really dark so I know he is stressed about us sticking our hand in his enclosure. We try not to bug him but when we need to get in their to feed him or water the plants or clean his cage its very difficult. we cant pick him up to move him out of the way. We are not sure what to do at this point. we are just frustrated because he would come out all the time and was not bothered by us at all. I guess now that he has a better home he doesn't want anything to do with us. We got him from our niece and I believe he is about 1 year old now. We have had him for about 8 months ish. pictures of his new home. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions
* He has been in his new one for about a month. *

Attachments

• DASH.jpg
    DASH.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 198
  • DASH2.jpg
    DASH2.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
It’s a combination of stress from the move,, bad husbandry, and him having a territory he likes and feels the need to protect now.

I see some concerns in the pics you put up.
Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Veiled, male, he is about 1 year old i think. And we have had him 8 ish months

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Never because he won't let us. Before
It was once or 2x a week or when ever he climbed up our arm while cleaning,watering, feeding him in his too small cage
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets and super worms. Super worms are on occasion. Gut loading with all the good stuff fruits veggies the works.

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Calcium with out d3 and the multiple vitamin supplement. Once every other week for the multi. once a week for the calcium.

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
1 minute every 4 hours with an exo terra monsoon mister

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Dark hard and white soft. And no

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

We got dash from our niece who purchased him on impulse from the pet store.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Old tv stand converted to cage screen and closed in. So 5ft across and about 4.5 high.
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
8pm to 8 am zilla slime line tropical 25uvb t8 day light and heat light is zoo med repti basking light 100 watts

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
80-85 degrees up top about 75 ish down in the bottom. With a temp gage

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
With a humidity gage and between 30 and 40 on average. Goes up with the mist spray and back down as it dries.

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Pothos and dracaena

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage sits on our dresser so the top is about 2 feet from the ceiling. Location is in our room.

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?
Montana

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about
Current issue is dash will not let my hand get near him with out puffing up getting dark, hissing,tail whipping and even snapping at me. So it makes it difficult to get in his cage to adjust things or clean it. Not sure how to get him so he is tolerable to us again. He was in a cage to small and wanted out a lot he would also eat from our hands, while he was out and about. Now he wont let us touch him. I just want it to where we can clean his cage/feed/or adjust branches and water the plants with out stressing him out.

Back
Top Bottom