Help my chameleon is shaking

Taylorbutton

Hi guys I'm really worried that my chameleon has MBD because of his shaking. He goes about normal activities, eating, climbing, etc. but I noticed slight shaking when he's standing still.
I just bought him from the pet store a month and a half ago. The pet store is not sure of his age, but his body is roughly 2.5 inches long not including the tail. His tank is 12x12x18 and I will upgrade as he gets older.
I have gutloaded crickets I fed fresh fruits and veggies (carrots, pears, etc.) and calcium. I dust them with calcium everyday and calcium with vitamin D3 twice a month as well as a multivitamin twice a month. I also give him gutloaded mealworms and superworms, Dubai roaches, hornworms...he has a 60 watt heat lamp and a UVB bulb on for twelve hours and gets misted thoroughly twice a day. Please any input will be helpful, just want him to be okay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 953
Is it like a back and forth motion? Jerky like? If so, that's the "shaky leaf" walk they do to blend in to their surroundings.

Is it like a back and forth motion? Jerky like? If so, that's the "shaky leaf" walk they do to blend in to their surroundings.
No it's not the shaky leaf walk. He's been doing that walk for about a month now, this is more like a small tremble. It's been going on for the past two days. Like when your nervous and you hold your hands up and you can see them shake in the air? Does that make sense?

I don't know other reasons they may do this but I know they twitch when stressed out! Give em some space for a few days maybe, let her settle in.

Doesn't look to have MBD and seems like you are doing things right. That cage seems awfully small though! When you say tank, you mean as in fish tank? Those are not really appropriate for chameleons. Post a pic of your whole set up.

Mines been doing something similar. Almost rocking side to side a tiny bit on the branch. Which is completely different than the rocking and stepping he does when he's scared or before he eats the crickets. He seems fine other wise. Not sure why he's doing it.

Last edited:
Doesn't look to have MBD and seems like you are doing things right. That cage seems awfully small though! When you say tank, you mean as in fish tank? Those are not really appropriate for chameleons. Post a pic of your whole set up.
It's a terrarium with veltilation. And it's small because he's really small. I have a much larger one I'm just waiting for him to get bigger. I know, I would never but a poor Cham in a fish tank :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 340
Mines been doing something similar. Almost rocking side to side a tiny bit on the branch. Which is completely different than the rocking and stepping he does when he's scared or before he eats the crickets. He seems fine other wise. Not sure why he's doing it.
Glad to hear it's not completely uncommon

Your cham is doing this to act like a leaf blowing in the wind to help hide him better while he is walking.

It's a terrarium with veltilation. And it's small because he's really small. I have a much larger one I'm just waiting for him to get bigger. I know, I would never but a poor Cham in a fish tank :(

What is your supplementation schedule, and what exact supplements are you using?
Get rid of the red light, they need complete darkness to sleep.... if you're worried about temperature, they're fine unless it drops below 65. You can use a heat emitter if needed.

Back
Top Bottom