help my cham has a knot on it's leg can anyonehelp me find out what it is

wat you are discribing sounds like gout but a picture is a thousand words so please post one of you can

How old is the animal?
They do have kind of Popeye-ish muscles on their legs, but this sounds like it might be something more extreme.
Gout is a good possible diagnosis, without actually seeing the chameleon though (as mentioned above) it's merely speculation.
If you can post a picture I am sure someone here will be able to tell you if a visit to the vet is in your near future.

-Brad

Mbd?

it could also be MBD (metabolic Bone Disease). Is it near a joint? Does his leg look bent n a weird way?

Can you tell us about his setup:
# Cage type: What size and type of cage (screen, glass, etc.)?

# Temperatures: What is the basking temperature? How do you measure the temperature in your setup? What is the temperature in the warmest spot? The coolest spot? At night? During the day? You should measure the temperature of the chameleons' skin or the surface of its current branch to get a more accurate reading. Do you leave any heat on at night? What is the temperature in the room at night?

# Lighting: What brand is your UVB light? How long have you been using it? How long are your lights on each day? Do you leave any lights on at night? Where are the lights? on top?

# Humidity: Do you have a humidity gauge? What is the range of relative humidity (RH) from lowest to highest? How long does it take to go from high to low? Do you use a humidifier? Do you live in the north or south (or other)?

# Water: Have you observed your chameleon drinking? How often do you mist? Do you have a dripper?

# Food: Have you observed your chameleon eating? What is the chameleon's diet? Where do you get your live feeder prey? What are you feeding the feeders? Fresh veggies? Gut load? If you use a commercial gut load what is the brand? If you make your own what are the ingredients?

# Supplements: What type of supplement(s) do you use? Brand name(s)? How often do you use supplements?

# Plants & branches: What plants do you have? Are your plants alive or fake? Do the plants provide lots of coverage where the chameleon will feel safe? Can you see your chameleon most of the time or can it hide from your view?

# Chameleon facts: How old is the chameleon? Do you know if it is wild caught or captive born? Did you get the chameleon at a show? Breeder?

# Handling: Do you handle your chameleon? How often and how long? What is its reaction to you? Is the cage in a quiet part of the house or is it in a busy or noisy area? Any big stereo speakers near the cage? Is your chameleon alone in the cage? Can your chameleon see any other herps or pets from the cage?

# Veterinarians: Do you have a veterinarian who KNOWS chameleons?

these are standard questions for troubleshooting, but a good pic of the whole cham as well as closeup of leg is also helpful.

Lele,
Excellent breakdown of questions!
I also thought of MBD but am reluctant to offer any opinion without seeing a picture of the animal in question. Even then I would never claim to have the definitive answer.

-Brad

Lele,
Excellent breakdown of questions!
I also thought of MBD but am reluctant to offer any opinion without seeing a picture of the animal in question. Even then I would never claim to have the definitive answer.

-Brad

Thanks. A fellow forum member and I put it, and some resources together for "another" forum so we would have some reference for asking setup questions.

As for the MBD, I just mentioned it as a possibility (in part hoping it would get him to upload some pics or give more info). MBD can be mimicked by other problems as well. Hope he gets back to us :rolleyes:

lele

Back
Top Bottom