Help! My baby cham has a cricket bite!

Kanani808

My husband found a baby jackson cham (about1-2 months old and 3 inches long head-tail) about two weeks ago (Im from hawaii) and brought it home for our son. And now since I've been taking care of the little guy I've gotten really attached and Im freaking out since I noticed he got bit this morning. We have him in a small screened caged. I water drip him 2-4 times a day depending on the weather and Ive been feeding him pinheads from the local pet shop. Sadly I went in this week and they were out of pin heads so I had to get the next biggest size in crickets. He was eating 1 larger cricket a day (he normally eats about 3-4 pinheads a day) . What do I do? I took the crickets out of his cage but Im still very worried about my cham. The wound looks like the took off just a small top layer of the skin and around it is black (bruised?) other than that he is active, drinking water, but hes not eating. Maybe hes to stressed? not sure..

Now I think hes sleeping? Its already evening time and this is around the time he goes to sleep. The bite is on his mid-section.

Attachments

• 80204238_2591169794462696_7501052741993627648_n.jpg
    80204238_2591169794462696_7501052741993627648_n.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 286
That's one heck of a bite! I'd look to see if you can find a local vet who deals with reptiles, this might be hard on the islands as 90% of the exotic reptiles on the market are banned from the islands to prevent eacapee's/released destructive species. The main thing you want to do is make sure the wound doesn't get infected.

At this size I'd definitely aim to feed pinheads or fruitflies. You may be able to even get some roach nymphs (just be careful where you source them, but at least in Oahu they are everywhere.)

Also, still young to tell, but 90% sure it's a baby female!

I have been calling everywhere to see if there's a reptile vet here and I have not found one :( I dabbed it with some hydrogen peroxide and put some neosporin on it. (Ive read that on another post to do that) hopefully it'll heal up. Im hoping tomorrow may be better..

Keep in mind these little ones are fragile! I'm learning this firsthand with my clutch of babies.

What does her enclosure look like so far? Maybe we can help you get on the right track so she can heal in a safe place.

I've never actually dealt with a cricket bite. The neosporin or silvadene burn cream would be my only at home recommendation. I would avoid peroxide in the future as it destroys more tissue than it cleans. That's not a big deal in something our sized but is in smaller slower healing animals.
Many people have cultured fruit flies by just luring flies into breed on fruit and bred them from there. There are threads on the subject here some here if you search.

Now I think hes sleeping? Its already evening time and this is around the time he goes to sleep. The bite is on his mid-section.
Hi did you chameleon survived? Same thing happened to mine today in a leg and I’m heartbroken. Don’t know what to do

Back
Top Bottom