help misting system

cam198

i need some help with picking out a cheap misting machine for my 2year old vield cham feedback would be appreciated:D

This picture was from a relatively new post. I stole the picture I think you will get the just of it.

The resivour is a garden type mister. You will have to find some adapter pieces and hose. You can go throught the garden department at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Walmart to find what you need. The control device is for a sprinkler system (or outside plant watering hose). They come with multiple timers, settings and durations. The resivour will run about $10, the hosing all together about $10, and the controller is $20-30.

Last edited:
I personally prefer to run mine right off a tap with hose threads. So without a diagram, it goes:

Faucet -> Hose to 1/4" -> 1/4" Tubing -> Misting Nozzle.

Alternatively, you could still implement a sprinkler timer between the faucet and hose to 1/4" adaptor.

The pros of this is; slightly cheaper cost, unlimited length water showers, (ie simulated storms/torrential downpours), heated water (hot-ish water means warm mist as heat dissapates), no refilling reservoir, water does not sit and stagnate.

The picture that Jordan used comes from a guide to building a misting system that is published by Basking Lizards.com (I seem to remember getting mine for free, but when I checked the link now, I see they're selling it for $2.99)

Download the entire .PDF document to get step-by-step instructions on how to build it, as well as a section on alternative misting systems (including ones that are connected to the water mains as Will suggested). I've just built this system myself - it works quite well.
The link to the document is E-book: DIY Automated Misting System

The site also sells all of the components needed to build the system.
They have some good articles on there. Check it out.

Edit:Did a bit more scratching around the site, and I found that you can still download the guide for free if you go to this link: FREE E-book: DIY Automated Misting System. If you pay the $2.99, you get "unlimited technical support" and 10% off the components for the misting system.

Last edited:
owdy,

My first mist system was structured around that same configuration. It worked fairly well. I'd suggest that you buy the largest pump-up unit that you can get. It's not so much that you want to have lots of water stored, it's that you want lots of volume to store the pressurized air! Otherwise, your stored pressure will drop soon after misting begins. You want the pressure to last through several days. You may only fill the tank less than half full of water in order to have enough volume left over for air pressure storage. You'll also be pumping-up the pressure to the maximum before the bypass valve releases. That will be around 30psi.

Not getting the best/right parts the first time usually ends up wasting a lot of money going back later and upgrading to what works.

I really like the Quick-Connect fittings from Home Depot and others. They are relatively cheap and very easy to use while also being very reliable. They are also known as "John Guest" fittings. The hose fits INSIDE the fitting not the other way around. It makes them very easy to disconnect and reuse. You can buy adapters to mate the small 1/4" OD tubing to the larger fittings for the timer valve components.

Here's a sample website for the fittings.
http://www.waterfilterstore.net/cat.asp?i=101

Here's an example of the POLYETHYLENE tubing that I like:
http://www.waterfilterstore.net/PE-08-BI-0500F-E.asp

The polyethylene tubing is very flexible when compared to the polypropylene tubing used for garden drip systems.

I really like the nozzles from (not the polypropylene hose! Not the pumps!):
http://www.mistking.com/

If you do get his nozzles, make sure that you do NOT buy them with the anti-drip valve in the nozzle. That is for drip-free use with frogs. It requires pressures above 30psi to work. Tell him no anti-drip!!!

You can add a mini inline water heater but that's taking it to another level :). I don't want to scare you off yet :D. By that time, you'll be buying a http://www.pro-products.com/promistaccessories.html PMP-60 mist pump too! (I don't like his nozzles but he does carry the right kind of tubing.)

Back
Top Bottom