Help!! Might have EGGS INCOMING!

bullgod

OK Guys help me out please!

I attempted breeding my female which will be the first 3 pictures, after attempting to breed them for a day and a half, 2 weeks later shes been looking really dark. (and if you notice in 2nd picture she has a bulge just above her hind Right leg.)

I don't know if she is gravid or not.

Other issue,

Last 2 pictures are a chameleon I just purchased from a great breeder lancecham. 3-4 weeks before i purchased her she laid eggs for him. She still seems like she might have retained sperm, and I'm starting to see possible lumps in her belly. Need help you guys. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 125
  • newfemale1.jpg
    newfemale1.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Sonja8month.jpg
    Sonja8month.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 139
I dont see obvious lumps myself. The new female does look really fat tho. I'd get some laying bins in both girls cages asap. How long have you had the 2nd female? Because my females always lay retained clutches 6 weeks after the first clutch was laid. So if youve had her for 2-3 weeks then I'd be getting her in a laying bin now. If she doesnt lay I may get her checked for eggs and get a shot of oxytocin. Dont wait too long if she laid 6-7 weeks ago then she should be laying any day now.

laying Bin

Can you tell me what exactly You would recommend for a laying bin? 5 gallon bucket with potting soil? Can u give me a scratch sheet of what I need so I can get it. I've heard a lot about what you need. But never a sheet on what to go buy.

I recommend putting an opaque container that is at least 12" deep x 12" x 8" almost full of washed playsand that is moist enough to hold a tunnel in the cages. This gives them a place to dig and most panthers will lay their eggs in this size container.

If you want to you can also set up a larger laying bin and once the female is digging in the container in her cage you can move her to the larger bin. I use a 65 liter rubbermaid type container with a lid. I cut a large hole in the lid and cover it with screen. I put at least a bag of washed playsand in the bottom of the bin (you want the sand at least a foot deep) that is moistened enough to hold a tunnel. I add a branch so the chameleon has a place to sit when not digging...and you can add a plant too if you want to. I put the female in when she is ready...put the lid on and lay a light over the top of the screen. Be careful that you don't bake the chameleon since its a closed space! She can be watered and fed in this container as long as you don't leave any insects in the container that might chew on her or the eggs.

Once the female is digging, do not let her see you watching her or she will abandon the hole. If it happens too often it can lead to eggbinding.

In either case...here's what should happen....the female will start to dig. She may dig several test holes but should settle on one and dig it until she is satisfied with it. She should then turn around butt down and lay the eggs. This usually happens in the evening. She should fill the hole in, tamp it down and return to the branches...hungry and thirsty.

Hope this helps!

A cheap laying bin i use are the left over plastic buckets I get my plants in from the nursery. I use 75% playsand and 25% organic potting soil. Make sure the dirt is moist enuff to form a tunnel without collapsing. If she goes to the bucket I would cover the front and sides of the cage with a towel or sheet. That way she has privacy and will feel secure enuff to deposit the eggs. Before and after laying mist the hell out of her. After they are done the following day I always give mine a long shower to help them clean their eyes and get rehydrated.

I also used a large plant pot for a laying bin. First time she tried to lay she went for one of the actual potted plants instead and abandoned the hole, then I moved her to a big storage tub filled up with playsand and dirt, which I was actually keeping because I'd mixed a bunch together for repotting. Without the distraction she started digging quickly and laid. A five gallon bucket would probably be large enough if you filled it up at least 12" for an in-cage laying bin.

If you can get her to dig successfully in a smaller container in her cage, this would be most convenient for you and her, but if you notice her digging test holes and not committing to one/going back up into the branches like mine did, try a larger laying tub with only dirt and the extra space/lack of other things going on around her might be beneficial. I put a popped out window screen and her uvb light over the tub and maintained a normal lighting schedule when she was in the cage and tub, but didn't use the head light since a storage tub or garbage container will hold the heat differently and I didn't want to cook her.

The only benefit I can think to the storage container is that it's clear. You need something opaque so they can't see out and get confused when they reach the bottom, so I wrapped two garbage bags around the sides. They usually lay in a corner, so when they're done you can remove the bags and see if the eggs have been deposited/where without digging through the whole thing. When I caught her trying to get out of the bin although she looked thinner I couldn't find for the life of me where she had dug, she packed the soil and sand down perfectly smoothly, and I hadn't checked on her since putting her in the bin so I didn't know where she'd dug. It was easy to remove the bags and see all the eggs piled up in the corner.

Really amazing seeing the work they can do with teensy lizard mitten hands. I was totally fascinated by Priscilla after she laid.

And yes, make sure to give her lots of water afterwards, and if you have any hornworms those make a good treat. For about three days post laying you can feed her more than you normally would, then go back to a maintenance diet.

=)

Thank you guys so much! I just got back from Lowes with Organic potting soil, play sand and Opaque tubs! You all have been a wealth of knowledge and help. I appreciate you all helping me.

Back
Top Bottom