Help me with my chameleon…

L3vi

Can somebody please help me!. These past days my veiled chameleon has not been able to open up his eyes and he is a juvenile chameleon and he had this problem going on for weeks now but still tends to move a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 40
Hi and welcome. Sorry that your little one is having this problem. To try and help figure out what may be going on, we’ll need a bit more info. One thing that would speak volumes is a pic of your enclosure, including the lights on top. Then, what supplements are you using and how often are you using each?

Hi and welcome. Sorry that your little one is having this problem. To try and help figure out what may be going on, we’ll need a bit more info. One thing that would speak volumes is a pic of your enclosure, including the lights on top. Then, what supplements are you using and how often are you using each?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 40
I’m about to get some sleep, but I’m going to make a good deal of assumptions based on just your pic alone. First, I do want you to know that I’m not at all trying to be mean…it’s been a long challenging day and I may not sound as nice as I’m feeling. I do just want to help. So with all of that being said, it looks like you may have fallen victim to the dreaded chameleon kit. You have added quite a good amount of greenery, which is great. I’ll get back to that later. There are several large problems. The first is one I can see and that is you do not have the correct uvb light. The screw in type isn’t able to provide adequate levels any farther away than 2-3”. You need a linear T5HO fixture with either a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb. Then you can have the basking area be 8-9” down from the lights. Hopefully you’re running a 12 hour on/off schedule for the lights and giving your guy no lights at all at night. He doesn’t need heat at night either unless temps drop in the low 50’s. Now I’m going to assume that your supplements are incorrect. You should be lightly dusting every feeding with a phosphorus-free calcium without D3. Then one feeding every other week you want to use either ReptiVite with D3 or Repashy calcium plus LoD. Lacking correct uvb and the correct supplements will most definitely cause an eye problem along with so many other problems, which are quite serious. I’m giving you this link to learn the current correct standards of care for chameleons. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ For specific care if a veiled, read this. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ It’s also always a good idea to have a veterinary wellness visit and a fecal check for parasites.
Now back to those plants. It’s a bit hard for my tired old eyes to see, but I think those are artificial plants. Veileds like to nibble their plants and it only takes one nibble of a fake leaf to cause a serious bowel obstruction. Because of this, you want only washed safe live plants. Pothos is one of the best. You can attach your fake plants to the outside of the enclosure for more privacy. You will want to provide as many branches, vines and plant density as you currently have. The minimum size enclosure that your guy will need is 2x2x4’. He may be a bit small now, but her will be growing big quickly. Bare floor is easiest to keep clean. If it’s in your budget, Dragon Ledges are the chameleon keeping equivalent of sliced bread. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ Last (for now) but not least is you want to make sure you’re feeding your guy a variety of healthy feeders. Just as important as everything else is keeping your feeder bugs well fed and as healthy as possible so that they will be more nutritious. Adding some graphics to help guide you. I’m sure another member will be along and add more to this later. I’m one of the few night owls. Do ask whatever questions you have.
IMG_1188.jpeg
IMG_0151.jpeg

Ok thank you so much! Seriously I was just thinking about buying another one but I’ll do ALOT of research before I get another one. Also do you know where I can get a good tank?

This is actually a great way to get just about everything you need and at a fantastic price. It’s currently on sale too. To give you and idea…the correct uvb light runs around $60+ and the XL screen enclosure is around $130+ and then all the other items you get. All you need to add is plants. https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/starter-chameleon-kit-by-neptune-the-chameleon Neptune the chameleon on YouTube also has tons of videos teaching basic husbandry and so much more.

Ok thank you so much and also will my little guy live much longer?
Yes, absolutely he should. If it’s just his eyes bothering him now, once you get everything correct he should recover well. You need to make the changes as soon as possible though.

Yes, absolutely he should. If it’s just his eyes bothering him now, once you get everything correct he should recover well. You need to make the changes as soon as possible though.
Alright thank you so much! Seriously I have a leopard ghecko which is completely fine and I was confused but thank you so much!

Leopard geckos and all other reptiles are so very different in their needs from chameleons
Do you know what’s up with his eyes though?
It could be a vitamin deficiency combined with the wrong uvb light. I’ve no idea what your humidity levels are, but that could be a part. He may have an infection…so hard to tell. Give him an extra long misting of at least 3-5 minutes (don’t mist him directly) and see if that helps loosen the gunk. A vet visit will be best to diagnose correctly and treat.

Leopard geckos and all other reptiles are so very different in their needs from chameleons

It could be a vitamin deficiency combined with the wrong uvb light. I’ve no idea what your humidity levels are, but that could be a part. He may have an infection…so hard to tell. Give him an extra long misting of at least 3-5 minutes (don’t mist him directly) and see if that helps loosen the gunk. A vet visit will be best to diagnose correctly and treat.
His cage is around 75-80 degrees

Humidity is how much moisture is in the air. Ideal level for a veiled during the day is between 30-50%. When the air gets too dry, they are more likely to get eye problems. When the air is too moist, they get other problems.

I really need to get some sleep now. 🥱😴 My dog woke me super early and it was too busy of a day for a nap so I’m beat. Read all the links I gave, plan to make those improvements asap and make a vet appointment asap too. Do keep asking questions and someone will eventually be along in a bit that can further help. :)

@MissSkittles has given you a good start on the proper husbandry, etc.

Can you please post a couple more photos of your whole chameleon please….from the side…so I can see arms and legs and everything else.

Back
Top Bottom