Help me turn this into an enclosure!

bombadillo2

Time to upgrade to a mansion! My chameleon (10mo. male) currently lives in a glass terrarium with a metal screen top where the lamps sit, and I have two fans on top which circulate air in the terrarium. I have a misting system set up and Live plants growing from the base. I plan to keep the base (rectangle, abt 6 inches high, has a few holes in the bottom for drainage) with the plants, and then add some pots/stands for other plants next to it.

My question is basically how to adequately prep something like this. I have some non-toxic sealant which I thought about using to coat the inside of this, and of course will air out for a long time before a Chamaeleon ever sees it. I also think I will put some of that cork tile from zoo med around, but I want to make sure that the structure doesn’t rot or anything in case moisture gets underneath the cork.

I am also thinking about adding wheels to this. Side mount most likely. I need everything to be high enough that I can add holes for drainage unless I do all of that inside instead of underneath. Still figuring that stuff out.

Is it safe to have lamps inside this, if there is a ceiling that is wood? Or should I be removing the top and replacing it with metal screen like my current terrarium? Of course I would plan on having them low enough down not to touch the ceiling at all, but I still am not sure it’s safe with all this wood.

I purposely left a little hole, and might remove that panel completely, because my chameleon loves the morning sun. The back of the terrarium would be facing the window, so I want him to be able to enjoy that every day. I could either use acrylic clear panel over that, or just screen. For the front, I was planning on making screen doors, but I’ve heard the metal screen is bad for the Chameleons nails, and My chameleon has never had screen like that before so it hasn’t been a problem yet. I thought maybe I do one layer of metal screen on the outside or soft window screen, just something so that roaches and other bugs can’t get out… But then a layer on the inside that’s more grippable mesh so he can climb it without hurting his feet.

I am less concerned about the decorative aspects, because I have plenty of ideas for that and it’s not as essential to get right (or rather, I will get to that after the base is done).

Any ideas and advice very welcome!!! What would you do??

Veiled male, 10 months, location Bay Area California, calcium every day, every two weeks multivitamin alt with calcium+d3, misting every 2 hours for 2 minutes plus hand spraying.

Attachments

• 70594D59-A5FA-4DB5-A565-99BD5D707FEB.jpeg
    70594D59-A5FA-4DB5-A565-99BD5D707FEB.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 91
  • 141DDBAE-F18A-4B94-93AC-C2955AC06D63.jpeg
    141DDBAE-F18A-4B94-93AC-C2955AC06D63.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 7D84CB64-731E-4384-A840-462DD8EBAFF8.jpeg
    7D84CB64-731E-4384-A840-462DD8EBAFF8.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom