Help me get ready!

Also.a young one 2-3 month old is best if you can get him from a breeder like flchams. You can watch him grow and will likely be more friendly and easier to handle at that age to accustom to you.
Also cage being in your living room is there a lot of traffic?

Sadly, we don't have very many people come over to our house, aside from the occasional birthday party, and babysitting my girlfriends niece and nephew once in a while. (In other words, we would like it if people came over, but they don't. I am basically a 30 year old version of a grumpy 70 year old man yelling at kids to "get off my damn lawn!" which tends to keep visitors at bay as well.) But we may be moving across town soon, so that may all change. We won't have neighbors! Yay!

So to answer you question, no, there is not much traffic. Just me and my girlfriend.

Haha its alright it sounds like it could be a nice setup making a good free range going up the wall next to his cage:) Like another member said watch the temps when the heat comes in by the window though.

Ok, now the next question (and I will probably get laughed at for this)...what is a good way to maintain my humidity in the ReptiBreeze? As an experiment, I setup a Reptifogger in the empty cage while we were at Legoland yesterday and had it run on our frog's fogging schedule, and got a max reading of 89% and a min reading of 29% (but the min could have been a reading from before I set up the fogger experiment).

Any tips on slight modifications to the cage to hold in humidity?

I have a reptibreeze cage, i have a very large ficus plant in there and a dripper going all day till around an hour before lights out, i mist 2-3 times a day and my humidity maintains, and i live in the uk!! Lol

I use plastic clamped up with magnets on my cages. Keeps humidity in pretty well - also protects everything from outside of the cage from getting much water on it. :rolleyes:

That paired with my MistKing and humidity isn't really an issue.

I use plastic clamped up with magnets on my cages. Keeps humidity in pretty well - also protects everything from outside of the cage from getting much water on it. :rolleyes:

That paired with my MistKing and humidity isn't really an issue.

When you say plastic, do you mean plastic sheeting, like a shower curtain? Or sheets of plexiglass or other thicker board-like plastic?

I am THIS close to making my purchase...calling about it tomorrow. (Mostly rushed by my job and their "vacation time" policy. I need to find out what day the delivery will happen so I can plan accordingly.

Also, what do you do for drainage? Each time I have misted the plant, the water goes straight to the bottom and pools up, then straight to the carpet. How do I prevent this? Please include pics if you can.

Updated!

Please read the updated version and give me tips!

Hey everyone, I had an idea (I hope it is original) to use the "How To Ask For Help" form to help get me prepared more for the upcoming purchase of my cham. I will fill in the Chameleon info portion more when I actually get it.

So far we have some frogs that will be feeding off of the same crickets that we will have so I will include that info in here as well for reference.

Here we go!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Captive Bred Senegal Chameleon

Handling - Once, so far.

Feeding - Small Crickets (not sure on how much or how often, please offer suggestions) Gutloading with Orange Cubes, but willing to change that with suggestions on better options.

Supplements - Dusting with Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Calcium with Vit. D Ultrafine powder. Unsure on the schedule for a cham, but our frogs get it about once a week. (My girlfriend cares for the frogs, so she would know better)

Watering - Will be misting with a hand held pump sprayer similar to this one.

Fecal Description - White Urates (Not sure how the poo is supposed to look, since it landed in some water on the bottom of the cage and kind of dissolved into wet poo.)

History - Bought from Big Apple Pet Supply in New York. Site claims to only sell Captive Bred reptiles, absolutely no wild caught animals are sold. So I am taking their word on the matter, until I find out otherwise.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Reptibreeze 18x18x36 large screen cage on an end table stand.

Lighting - The following 2 bulbs are in a Zoo-Med 18 inch naturalistic Terrarium Hood
Heat: Zilla Day Blue Light Incandescent 75 Watt
UVB: Zilla Tropical Series 25 Fluorescent Coil Bulb 13 Watt
I also have a a dome fixture that I can put any other lighting that is needed in it. Lighting schedule will be 12/12.

Temperature - Still establishing this, but so far the basking spot is in the low 80's. Temp. being measured with a Fluker's Digital Thermometer / Hygrometer

I am not sure on overnight temps, but I will update this post when I find out.

I also have a Ceramic Heat Emitter 120V 60W that I will be controlling with a Zoo-Med ReptiTemp 500R Thermostat.

Humidity - Reptifogger paired with plastic sheeting around 3 sides of the cage to hold in the humidity. Still working on the humidity levels but I will update the post when I get it determined. The humidity is coming from regular mistings and the Reptifogger from the hand sprayer. Any tips are welcome.

Humidity is being measured by the same Fluker's Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer mentioned in the Temp. section.

Plants - Fake plants from a local craft store. I took the live plant out with intentions of thinning it out and it got overheated outside and dried up.

Placement - Cage located in the front of our house near the window in our living room (intended to let in some light and ambient heat during the warmer months). It is currently under a closed air vent that we have covered with a magnetic air blocker. It is about 6 feet away from the ceiling fan in the middle of the room, but it is rarely on.

The top of the cage is 5 feet from the floor. I am also attaching a removable vine to the ceiling that can attach to the branches inside the cage when the cage is open to allow for more climbing area.

Location - Peculiar, Missouri

Current Problem - None yet, and hoping to keep it that way with your help.

Let me know what I am doing wrong and what I should do to correct any issues I may have.

Back
Top Bottom