Help me figure this out

Cham_love

So I’ve noticed my veiled Cham hasn’t been standing up right and laying down flat and I picked him up and noticed some spots on the parts that lay flat on the surface. It looks like dying skin. He’s eating habits have come down a bit but he is about 1year 4 months old. He’s in a bioactive enclosure humidity is kept aroun 50-60% heat is around 80 to mid 80s . He’s still moves around and gets he’s gut loaded Dubias dusted with repashy calcium plus I gut loady feeders with repashy superload. He has been doing partial sheds lately. He’s had swollen joints and gout was ruled out so he was given clavamox to treat possible infection

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 278
One or more feet? I havn't seen that before but you can understand why he doesn't want to put his weight on it.

What do have for structure in his viv? i.e. vines, sticks, wood etc. Are they dry or do they stay damp?

He has sticks and their dry he chills in the bottom of the enclosure during the day and on sticks during night time and it’s two feet

He has sticks and their dry he chills in the bottom of the enclosure during the day and on sticks during night time and it’s two feet
What 'sticks'? All the same? Made of what? Any vines?

They need different sizes and textures to grip so lets say a viv is full of gardening sticks, all the same, it's not good for them.

He has two different size vines ,cork pieces and some tree branches

Attachments

• E5174652-9A10-43A3-A023-A9B92625E4A8.jpeg
    E5174652-9A10-43A3-A023-A9B92625E4A8.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 263
He's a chunky lad alright. You didn't say if more than 1 foot is affected. As said earlier, I've never seen anything like that before, so only guessing now.

Something must have rubbed or he picked up an injury from something in the enclosure and started this off. So first off I would be looking at treating with a topical cream. (You really need vet advice to ensure the correct treatment).

I would then be gutting and cleaning/disinfecting his setup. This is two fold. 1, trying to find and remove any possible cause and 2, keeping everything clean and germ free which will help ensure minimal chance of re infection, helping him heal.

You can't tell him to take it easy and keep his feet up unfortunately!

I would also consider some more vines as well. Please also check the veiled care sheets and check you are doing the other basics correctly, correct type of UVB & temps (which are low) for example.

With a bit of luck, someone who has maybe seen this sort of thing before may be able to help more. Good luck and please let us know when you get a proper diagnosis as it helps us all in future.

Last edited:
I’ll make some changes to the enclosure , I started with the clavamox to help with whatever infection is causing the swelling in the joints

Any chance it is an infected burn? More of a veil thing not normally on the hand/foot/mitten/grippybit but just to rule it out.

Sorry to hijack, but my almost 4 month veil male started his first shed for me yesterday and he's almost done today. He just has some shed left on his feet and underbelly. He's been actively basking and then attempting to get the rest off. What's the longest you should wait for them to do it themselves?

Sorry to hijack, but my almost 4 month veil male started his first shed for me yesterday and he's almost done today. He just has some shed left on his feet and underbelly. He's been actively basking and then attempting to get the rest off. What's the longest you should wait for them to do it themselves?

The only time I've seen reptiles have issues shedding is when there's something not quite right with their husbandry, or the individual has some sort of scarring (scarred sections can be more difficult to shed). Unless the shed is starting to constrict a limb (i.e. forming a band), let reptiles deal with it on their own. They don't need our help, and peeling off shed that isn't ready to come off can cause all sorts of problems! I remember a fairly recent case where a lady removed some shed from a leopard gecko's tail, and damaged the tender new skin underneath. That animal then developed a nasty infection and tissue necrosis, eventually leading to the loss of the tail entirely!

(Edited to remove a redundant section)

Last edited:
The only time I've seen reptiles have issues shedding is when there's something not quite right with their husbandry, or the individual has some sort of scarring (scarred sections can be more difficult to shed). Unless the shed is starting to constrict a limb (i.e. forming a band), let reptiles deal with it on their own. They don't need our help, and peeling off shed that isn't ready to come off can cause all sorts of problems! I remember a fairly recent case where a lady removed some shed from a leopard gecko's tail, and damaged the tender new skin underneath. That animal then developed a nasty infection and tissue necrosis, eventually leading to the loss of the tail entirely!

The only time I've seen reptiles have issues shedding is when there's something not quite right with their husbandry, or the individual has some sort of scarring (scarred sections can be more difficult to shed).
Yeah and the only thing hindering him right now is the humidity. He just so happened to pick the two coldest days of the year this year to do so. I'm struggling to keep his humidity in the 50s

So I’ve noticed my veiled Cham hasn’t been standing up right and laying down flat and I picked him up and noticed some spots on the parts that lay flat on the surface. It looks like dying skin. He’s eating habits have come down a bit but he is about 1year 4 months old. He’s in a bioactive enclosure humidity is kept aroun 50-60% heat is around 80 to mid 80s . He’s still moves around and gets he’s gut loaded Dubias dusted with repashy calcium plus I gut loady feeders with repashy superload. He has been doing partial sheds lately. He’s had swollen joints and gout was ruled out so he was given clavamox to treat possible infection
Have they tested for a parasite?

I know it's tempting but don't try to peel anything off. Bob will rub against vines and scratch like a dog with an annoying bit of shed and has even used me as scratching post before now. (Looks like I have really bad dandruff after that).

It will, in almost all cases come off by itself in its own good time.

As they get older they start to shed in a more patchy way than when young. Youngsters seem to just explode and it's all off in a matter of hours.

Just keep an eye for bands of stuck shed, especially around the tail and joints that in pretty rare cases can act like an elastic band around your finger.

Back
Top Bottom