HELP! I'M PRAYING MY PANTHER IS GOING TO BE OK!

brilowe1991

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, 1 1/2 years old
  • Handling - I haven't handled him much yet.
  • Feeding - Feeding him an assortment of superworms, meal worms, crickets, etc. hand feeding/with plastic tweezers
  • Supplements - D3 vitamin
  • Watering - hand spray 6 times a day in minute intervals of 3.
  • Fecal Description - brown solid normal poops
  • History - Previous owner couldn't care for him any longer. Don't think he was misted enough everyday, he was on gut fed cricket based diet only when I got him. I switched it up to assortments. He's never mated.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen terrarium, not exact sure on measurements but roughly around 3ftX4ft
  • Lighting - 12 on 12 off, linear uvb light, basking 60w
  • Temperature - 85-88 top hot spot
  • Humidity - humidity I try to stay around 55%
  • Plants - Yes I have 3 live plants that I JUST took out - will explain in my problems below
  • Placement - Cage is located on top of my dresser, no air vents are hitting the cage.
  • Location - Located in orange county.

OKAY! After filling all that out now, I'll get with my problem. My panther chameleon Blue, was doing great, happy etc. But JUST TWO days ago I bought 3 new plants and I 'FORGOT' to wash them before putting them in his cage. I KNOW, I KNOW... I'm a horrible mom and believe me I feel 100% at fault and down right just HORRIBLE. I know he probably got some pesticides in his system from drinking water maybe off the plants. I know, again, I feel horrible. My question is I just realized this this morning and immediately took out the plants, cleaned up his cage, and the substrate. Remisted everything. Left the 3 plants out washed them vigorously, they're in my bathtub waiting to dry up and then i'm going to wash again.

-Problem is I noticed my cham's eyes are 'darker'. They're 'not' sunken in at all.. like I've seen REALLY sick chams before but I'm just hoping he's not going to get to that point. He seems to be fine with movement etc. the normal sloth-ish way. He's not eating this second but it's only been 15 hours since he hasn't eaten.

-Cham probably ingested pesticides from the plants, is he going to be okay? Is there anything I can do?
Please help me out. I'll attach some photos. Look at his eyes, tell me if you think he's healthy... anything please!! :(

blue9.jpg
blue4.jpg
blue5.jpg
blue6.jpg
blue9.jpg
blue4.jpg
blue7.jpg

Those are all this morning.
This next picture is of him yesterday, but please note that there was better lighting and the cage was open during the pic.
blue10.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly he looks fine. If he got some traces Of it in him just try to get lots and lots of water to flush his system.
Thank you!! Much appreciated. He's doing really good now... eating real well and drinking fresh new water! I was just worried about the pesticides, I always think of them sooo fragile lol.

Is the supplement you listed the only thing you're giving him?
Edit: I noticed this topic has been addressed in another one of your threads, correct?

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, 1 1/2 years old
  • Handling - I haven't handled him much yet.
  • Feeding - Feeding him an assortment of superworms, meal worms, crickets, etc. hand feeding/with plastic tweezers
  • Supplements - D3 vitamin
  • Watering - hand spray 6 times a day in minute intervals of 3.
  • Fecal Description - brown solid normal poops
  • History - Previous owner couldn't care for him any longer. Don't think he was misted enough everyday, he was on gut fed cricket based diet only when I got him. I switched it up to assortments. He's never mated.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen terrarium, not exact sure on measurements but roughly around 3ftX4ft
  • Lighting - 12 on 12 off, linear uvb light, basking 60w
  • Temperature - 85-88 top hot spot
  • Humidity - humidity I try to stay around 55%
  • Plants - Yes I have 3 live plants that I JUST took out - will explain in my problems below
  • Placement - Cage is located on top of my dresser, no air vents are hitting the cage.
  • Location - Located in orange county.

OKAY! After filling all that out now, I'll get with my problem. My panther chameleon Blue, was doing great, happy etc. But JUST TWO days ago I bought 3 new plants and I 'FORGOT' to wash them before putting them in his cage. I KNOW, I KNOW... I'm a horrible mom and believe me I feel 100% at fault and down right just HORRIBLE. I know he probably got some pesticides in his system from drinking water maybe off the plants. I know, again, I feel horrible. My question is I just realized this this morning and immediately took out the plants, cleaned up his cage, and the substrate. Remisted everything. Left the 3 plants out washed them vigorously, they're in my bathtub waiting to dry up and then i'm going to wash again.

-Problem is I noticed my cham's eyes are 'darker'. They're 'not' sunken in at all.. like I've seen REALLY sick chams before but I'm just hoping he's not going to get to that point. He seems to be fine with movement etc. the normal sloth-ish way. He's not eating this second but it's only been 15 hours since he hasn't eaten.

-Cham probably ingested pesticides from the plants, is he going to be okay? Is there anything I can do?
Please help me out. I'll attach some photos. Look at his eyes, tell me if you think he's healthy... anything please!! :(

View attachment 181096 View attachment 181097 View attachment 181098 View attachment 181099 View attachment 181096 View attachment 181097 View attachment 181100

Those are all this morning.
This next picture is of him yesterday, but please note that there was better lighting and the cage was open during the pic.
View attachment 181101
He looks good right now, but if your only giving him vit d3 you will have a problem he will probably developer gout or edema and you don't want that. I recommend looking at one of the supplementation threads or the care sheets.

He should be getting plain calcium without D3 daily or at most feedings. A multi vitamin twice a month. Most people use a calcium with d3 twice monthly also. I don't use d3 at all as my chameleons are primarily housed outdoors. They get d3 from their UVB lighting which I am assuming you have??? What type of UVB are you using? BTW his eyes look fine. Sometimes they will change color like that.

Back
Top Bottom