Help- I'm going to lose my little Laurie

I'm very sorry! I don't want you to think that it was your fault because it probably wasn't! I think that her retaining the egg was probably from the inability to pass it, for whatever reason. Is the egg any bigger or a different shape than the others?

Again, I'm very sorry about all this! I know how hard it can be to cut open one of your babies. :( I had to cut open one of mine because she had kept her eggs in too long and passed. The vet had said she didn't think there was much she could do because she was a Pygmy. :( She was my favorite little girl too.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

Yes, I did everything I could do and more to turn her around since the second day she was out of the laying bin. I might be newish, but I have good instincts when it comes to animals.
If anyone remembers, she was my female Zippy baby that should have died on the night I got her or the following day. I ignored half the advice given to me and did what I felt was best for her and turned her around...even my vet could not believe that I got her urates so good in a weeks time. I was told by my vet that she went through a bad shipping and should have been DOA or died in my care. So I know that if I got her this healthy the first time, I hoped this second time I could once again help.

Sadly she had a retained egg that was not in the normal spot. It was up by her spine near her front arms above her organs still in some membrane. I'm no expert but her organs looked good and not calcified. I'm not sure but she also had the beginnings of tiny "dots" that may be the start of her next clutch in the correct spot around her intestines. I wish I had my internet working to show the photos.

She was just shy of 16 months old and this was her first clutch of eggs.

I know it wasn't my fault and I know that she loved me as much as I loved her.
She would "run" to me when ever I opened her door...always, like I went on vacation and just came back.

She will be dearly missed. I still want to cry but have no more tears left.
I know it sounds funny, but I think Splat knows. He acted just like her last night before bedtime...almost mimicking how she was on her vines ( like he had sympathy pains ).
Both yesterday and today he won't eat and he always eats. Thankfully he's drinking or I'd be nervous for him.

Again, thank you everyone for your kindness. I will be around but just need a nap as I was up all night holding her.

Harry

so sorry

I just read about your girl I bet your going crazy, I hate the feeling of one of my animals suffering and not being able to make them feel better. How is she today?

I'm truly sorry for your loss.I hope you get through this, although I know it will take some time. I wish you the best. Sorry again.

Oh Harry, what can I say? :( I know exactly how you are feeling and no matter what anyone says it doesn't really help. It does get easier but takes a while to get over - I still miss my dear Lily and that was nearly two years ago now. I am so sorry you lost Laurie - she was a forum baby - she grew up on here with the world watching. I shall miss her updates - I always read your threads with the human Laurie in mind and admit to giggling a few times at your posts. Sending hugs across the pond. Thinking of you, Tiff. xx

You're right Tiff, nothing said can take away the pain and tears right now.
Yet maybe I'll have better luck with the eggs and keep a female...and name her Tiffany. ;)

Harry

Awww, Harry, that's lovely! But you spelt it wrong, lol! I spell my name Tiffiny! My Mum didn't want my name to end in 'fany' so she switched the 'a' for an 'i', lol!

Harry,
It is very sad to lose a pet, especially if it was one that was dear to us. I will be thinking about you, it is sometimes hard, especially knowing you couldn't do much to help, I know the feeling.

LPR08

While I still can't sleep, I will say that I feel so much better from all the kind thoughts posted here.

Bless you all.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom