Help- I'm going to lose my little Laurie

warpdrive

Avid Member
Dear friends,

My dear little Laurie who laid 18 eggs 7 nights ago is going down hill fast.

While on the day I removed her from the laying bin she seemed strong and healthy, the following days I have noticed that her eyes are sinking into her head and her color is a black and white mottled look...not her normal stress color, but worse.
She has been drinking normally, but has not eaten in 3 or 4 days on her own.
Her only poop since laying is quite small, but her urate is long and white as snow.

This afternoon I desided to give her a reptaid treetment and 5ml of water.
By night time before lights out she looked like she had no energy to stay on her basking vine and gave her a tiny bit more water and a 3 week old cricket by force feeding. She swallowed it whole and swallowed the water without difficulty.

Temps and humidity are more then fine. Sorry for not doing a help cut and paste thing but I'm just on my Blackberry and don't have internet at this time.

Problem:
I just found her sleeping on the floor of the cage. She clearly fell and didn't have the energy to go back up. So went back to sleep where she laid at.
I thought she was dead but she woke up and I put her on her lowest vine to sleep.
If she is alive by morning I will give her another treatment of reptaid and force another dusted cricket in her mouth.

Please, if you have any advice don't hesitate to reply. I don't care how silly the advice sounds, I'll try anything.
I can't loose my baby. Not this way. I can't tell the real Laurie that I lost her due to my stupidity.
I know this can happen to any female even if not mated. But I don't give a shit about the eggs right now...my baby is dyeing!

Harry

I would put her on a towel or a pillow of some sort so she doesn't waste energy trying to hold on to the branch.

Is going to the vet for xrays an option?

I'm REALLY sorry...:( I hope she pulls through. Hang in there!

Thank you for your kind words. I might be chain smoking from so much stress the past few weeks but this takes the cake.
I'll be up all night now looking in on her. I hope she makes it to the morning to get some more food in her and another treatment.

Harry

I would put her on a towel or a pillow of some sort so she doesn't waste energy trying to hold on to the branch.

Is going to the vet for xrays an option?

I will do that now.
A vet visit is not out of the question but she will die if I take her out and use public transportation to get there in my weather right now. I saw no signs of any bones broken.

Harry

I will do that now.
A vet visit is not out of the question but she will die if I take her out and use public transportation to get there in my weather right now. I saw no signs of any bones broken.

Harry

I was thinking she may have some eggs left :eek:

My heart goes out to you and I hope she really pulls through, it's hard when our babies crash.

Get her to the vets ASAP...it might be that she has retained eggs and if you don't get her there quickly she will die.

Get her to the vets ASAP...it might be that she has retained eggs and if you don't get her there quickly she will die.

I'm willing to go in the morning. But she will die before I get there for sure due to it is way too cold for public transportation right now and if I use heat packs she will dry out by the time I get into the city.

I dought that she has retained eggs as I didn't remove her till late the next day and all digging stopped by the night before. Not saying you're wrong. Just not what I've been noticing from her.
It's like she is starving to death and her eyes are so sunk in that it's scary.

Harry

So sorry to hear about your cham! I remember reading your post a day or so ago that she had laid the eggs and how happy you were. Try to keep your chin up.

Do you mean you can't go on public transport or you have to go on public transport? There has to be a way to pack her up and get her there.

Did she fill the hole in?

Do you mean you can't go on public transport or you have to go on public transport? There has to be a way to pack her up and get her there.

Did she fill the hole in?

Yes, she filled the hole in.
No, she never tried to go down from her basking spot once back in her cage.

Yes, I must take public transport if I go to the vet. Most of the trip will be outside with train doors opening and closing. Temps will be bellow 30 in the afternoon, and worse on the way home.
If I use heat packs, she will dry out by the time I get to his office. I'm telling you, my mind tells me she doesn't have any eggs in her.

She needs water and bug juice.

Harry

You sad..."I know this can happen to any female even if not mated"...this is a myth. It was mostly bad husbandry and failure to provide an appropriate place for a chameleon to lay her eggs and the privacy she needed to do it without increasing her stress levels.

See #9 in this list....
"A related myth is that an unmated female will die from dystocia and must, therefore, be mated as soon as possible"...
http://chameleonnews.com/04MayPollak.html

You sad..."I know this can happen to any female even if not mated"...this is a myth. It was mostly bad husbandry and failure to provide an appropriate place for a chameleon to lay her eggs and the privacy she needed to do it without increasing her stress levels.

See #9 in this list....
"A related myth is that an unmated female will die from dystocia and must, therefore, be mated as soon as possible"...
http://chameleonnews.com/04MayPollak.html

I'm not sure just what you are trying to say as I read what it said.
She could have laid in her ultra large flower pot as I did see her dig before removing her to the trash can.
She would never leave the basking spot since putting her back in the cage.

She passed this morning in my hands at 830am
I cut her open. The cricket was fully digested and no longer visible in her.
I did find 1 egg and is now with the rest.

I'm going outside to put her in the frozen ground and pay my last respects to my dear sweet Laurie.

Harry

Oh Jessica, she is resting peacefully outside my building.
I can't believe the soil was so soft for me to dig. It should have been frozen.

She was the best female ambilobie you could ever want.

Harry

My deepest condolences :( I know it is a hard loss and I'm not going to say well at least you have eggs because I know you would trade those eggs for her any day. My heart goes out to you.

Edit: My apologies when I posted I didn't see your previous reply

Back
Top Bottom