Help I think my chameleon leg is broken!

The egg laying is the least of your concerns. This is another very severe case of MBD. If you don't get it to a vet and correct all of the incorrect husbandry it won't be alive long enough to lay eggs.
So good you said this. I meant to but thought that in the meantime, while waiting to go to the vet, the eggbin could be set up in case she would lay them while waiting.

I’m setting up moist soil for her and the emergency vet visits arw 135 and I do not have money for that right now :( so I have to wait until Wednesday to get her seen! I’ve been giving her water and she hasn’t ate but she’s green rn ,( I feel so dumb bc I’m a vet assistant) and I feel like I could do more but I’ve never treated an exotic before !

I’m setting up moist soil for her and the emergency vet visits arw 135 and I do not have money for that right now :( so I have to wait until Wednesday to get her seen! I’ve been giving her water and she hasn’t ate but she’s green rn ,( I feel so dumb bc I’m a vet assistant) and I feel like I could do more but I’ve never treated an exotic before !
I strongly recommend not waiting and putting this on an emergency credit card if you have one available to you. This is a very serious situation. These animals need their legs to be able to lay/dig. If she's been digging on the bottom of her cage for a few weeks now, she is likely trying to actually lay now and digging with that broken leg could cause even more damage to her bones than what is already done. In the meantime, please fill out the "asking for help questionnaire" so that somebody can help go over your husbandry asap.

She will die a horrible painful death without proper vet care and a total husbandry makeover from correct lighting to supplementation to proper housing environment.... This simply is not a wait and get her in when you can. It is the equivalent of you breaking your leg in half with the bone splitting through your skin. You would not wait. She should not wait. She has advanced MBD at this point. Her bones are literally breaking from it. I highly doubt she will be able to lay with how badly she is broken. I do not see this as being something she will recover from. I would consider humane euthanasia at this point. I am not being mean or rude. I just want you to understand she is in no way ok.

She will die a horrible painful death without proper vet care and a total husbandry makeover from correct lighting to supplementation to proper housing environment.... This simply is not a wait and get her in when you can. It is the equivalent of you breaking your leg in half with the bone splitting through your skin. You would not wait. She should not wait. She has advanced MBD at this point. Her bones are literally breaking from it. I highly doubt she will be able to lay with how badly she is broken. I do not see this as being something she will recover from. I would consider humane euthanasia at this point. I am not being mean or rude. I just want you to understand she is in no way ok.
I was going to say pretty much the same, but didn’t want to be the only one.
I’m not at all wanting or trying to be mean, but if you are having trouble affording the $135 vet visit, you will most likely not be able to afford the urgent and on going treatment that this poor little girl will be needing. As her mbd is obviously severe, I highly doubt she will be able to lay her eggs at all at this point as they most likely have not formed properly and she just won’t have the strength. She would probably need surgical intervention, which will be expensive. I know you care about her and may feel horribly, so please, don’t let her suffer any. If she is eggbound, that is excruciatingly painful...plus broken bones! I know all too well how hard it is to euthanize a much loved animal, but we need to do what is right for them and not us. Please, don’t let her suffer any longer.

I was going to say pretty much the same, but didn’t want to be the only one.
I’m not at all wanting or trying to be mean, but if you are having trouble affording the $135 vet visit, you will most likely not be able to afford the urgent and on going treatment that this poor little girl will be needing. As her mbd is obviously severe, I highly doubt she will be able to lay her eggs at all at this point as they most likely have not formed properly and she just won’t have the strength. She would probably need surgical intervention, which will be expensive. I know you care about her and may feel horribly, so please, don’t let her suffer any. If she is eggbound, that is excruciatingly painful...plus broken bones! I know all too well how hard it is to euthanize a much loved animal, but we need to do what is right for them and not us. Please, don’t let her suffer any longer.
Honesty in a situation like this is not mean. You should always speak up hun. After all we are the ones that know their care and know what is normal and what suffering is. If we do not speak up then we are not being of use to anyone that comes to the forum. ❤️

You could give her to a chameleon rescue place that would take her to the vets and have her looked after as another option..but it needs to happen very very quickly.

Hi guys ! I had to put kiwi down unfortunately , her leg and spine were fractured and they said she was just in pain already , I’m super upset but I wanted to say thank u sm to everyone who helped and I wanted to let everyone know I picked up a baby chameleon ( pls don’t judge me this is how I cope) and I’m super happy that she’s not in pain anymore !

Hi guys ! I had to put kiwi down unfortunately , her leg and spine were fractured and they said she was just in pain already , I’m super upset but I wanted to say thank u sm to everyone who helped and I wanted to let everyone know I picked up a baby chameleon ( pls don’t judge me this is how I cope) and I’m super happy that she’s not in pain anymore !
No judgement but you know I will be honest.... READ EVERYTHING in this husbandry program! https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You have major husbandry changes that are needed so the new baby does not develop MBD and suffer the same fate. Now start a new thread and when you do I want you to copy and paste this info below into your new post. Please make sure you are very specific in answering the questions. I would also like to see pictures of the entire cage, lighting on top, and the supplements. Then please tag @MissSkittles and myself in your thread so we can do a complete husbandry review for you. This way you will know exactly what has to be changed asap. You will tag us by putting an @ symbol right in front of our name.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I’m sorry that you had to go thru all of that. As difficult as I’m sure it was, you did the right thing.
You’ll get no judgement from me about getting another chameleon. However, I’m almost certain I’m not the only one that wants you to have a positive experience in keeping a happy and healthy animal this time. I would be more than happy to help you to make sure you get everything as perfect as possible for the baby. Had this forum and it’s incredible members not helped me to learn, my first chameleon probably would have suffered the same fate. I do need you to answer the questions Beman provided (copy & paste) so I know what you’ve done right and where the problems are. Baby chameleons are quite fragile so you’ll need to get things right as soon as possible. I’ll be looking for your replies. 💗

Sending you hugs for the loss of your chameleon. Luckily there are tons of amazing people and resources here to help make sure you’re set up for success. Please have someone review your enclosure and make the necessary changes so your new cham can live a long and healthy life 💚 Best of luck!

This video will walk you through how to properly set up a chameleon enclosure:

Back
Top Bottom