HELP, I think he has a parasite.

adprince0418

Hi all,

First of all thanks for checking this thread out, I really appreciate any help i can get.

Here's whats going on:

I have a one year old male Ambilobe Blue Bar Panther and he has always been in perfect health and has had no problems but over the last 2 - 3 months he has shown signs of being sick. He has been closing his eyes during the day (only a little, not a lot), he has not shown his bright colors in over 3 months, his eyes are slightly sunken and when he poops (which is only like once every 2 weeks) it is covered in a 1/2" mucus like substance all over it. He only moves around a little but still drinks and eats just fine and the last time I took him to the vet they told me to just try and get him in natural sunlight more often (which I do anyway, hes out in the sun for about 1 - 2 hours 3 - 4 times a week) but I think he might have a parasite. Anyone ever have any of these issues?

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size? Aluminum screen cage – 36” x 18” x 18”
* Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day? 100 watt ZOO MED Basking spot bulb and a ReptiSun 5.0 UVB tube
* Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night? Basking spot temp 90 degrees and around 70 – 80 in shade and at night around 65 – 75 degrees.
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? A live ficus and some fake plants.
* Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Cage is on a tall dresser away from fans and windows and animal / human traffic.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. Male Blue Bar Ambilobe Panther – 12 months old
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Feed 8 – 12 large crickets / day and gutloading the crickets with romaine lettuce, oranges and carrots. Dusted with calcium twice a week, herptivite twice a week and reptivite once every 2 weeks (recommended by Screameleons for this vitamin schedule).
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Dripper 2 times a day and an automatic Mist King mister for humidity and drinking 3 times a day. I see him drinking all the time.
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Its brown with white at the end but has a ½ inch mucas like substance covering the entire thing

I would take him to the vet asap if you have not done so already and be sure to take some fresh poop for a fecal. Where do you live? Do you have a good chameleon vet?

I would also reduce his basking temps. to 85 and only use the herptivite twice a month.

Thanks, I took him to the vet last month but I have a feeling she is not a good Chameleon vet as all she said was to put him in the sun more. I am waiting until I can get his next fecal sample to take with to the vet again. I live in Southern California near Los Angeles. The vet we have is for all animals, she is not specialized in reptiles but I cant seem to find a reptile vet out near me.

You have two excellent chameleon vets close to you.

Dr. Tom Greek
(Greek and Associates)
23687 Via Del Rio
Yorba Linda, CA 92887
714-463-1190 or 866-940-7028

Dr. Geoff Stein
(Dr. Shipp's Animal Hospital)
351 N. Foothill Rd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
310-550-0101

Also I forgot to put in the main post that his aim is off when trying to eat. Ever since like 6 months ago when he shoots for food that is not in his cup he is off by an inch or so and cant get it unless I hold it by his mouth. This was when he was completely healthy and I have a feeling its from always cup feeding him but the vet had no clue and she checked his eyes and said he was responding well. Any clue why this would happen?

Attila Molnar, DVM *
All Animals Medical Center, Calabasas, California - (818) 591-2773

Geoffrey Stein, DVM *
Shipp's Animal Hospital, 351 Foothill Blvd., Beverly Hills - (310) 550-0101

Daniel Reimer, DVM *
Adler Veterinary Clinic, North Hills, California - (818) 893-6366

Dr. Thomas H. Boyer
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos, 888-F Carmel Mountain Road, San Diego, CA - (858) 484-3490
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos

Todd R. Cecil, DVM
Pet Emergency and Specialty Center, Chula Vista, CA (619) 591-4802 and La Mesa, CA (619) 462-4800

Tom Greek, DVM
Greek & Associates Veterinary Hospital, 23687 Via Del Rio, Yorba Linda - (714) 463-1190 or (866) 940-7028
www.tomgreek.com

Last edited:
And you missed the workshop last weekend when we had Dr. Molnar here providing free examinations to the chameleons. :(

He is an awesome chameleon, very tame, does not get scared or stressed when people are around and loves to come out and crawl on me. I also have a 7mo female but she is very scared of people and pets and hides when we are near and if I try to attempt to take her out to go outside in the sun she flares up and hisses at me. So I def want to get my male treated and taken care of.

That sucks, that would have been awesome. When is your next one?

I just sent you a PM. The next one with a vet will probably be in June but still working it out right now.

In the meantime, try Molnar as he's closest out of that list I posted. I'm always searching for good local chameleon vets to add to the list.

Are you interested in attending SBCK's monthly meetings in Santa Monica? Dave Weldon coordinates those so if you want to go, just send him a PM and you can be added to the email list for reminders.

I would say yes but I do not know if I will be around at that time. I am a 3D artist and might be shipping off to Canada to work with Pixar in the next couple weeks and work 14 hour days around Universal so have to play things by ear and with short notice. :( Hopefully I will be around to make it to your next workshop in June, I will def donate to your cause as well.

Back
Top Bottom