help!! i cant get the right humidity

franticurchin

the humidity in my screen cage that is 18x18x36 is only 33% and i cant get it to raise i have 3 sides sealed and it still just raised it from 25 to 35. i dont understand i mist for 60 seconds every hour with an automatic mister i have a live unbrela tree and still cant get it to at least 40 % if you know how i could get it to raise more please i need the help

ok,

1st, Welcome to the forum
2nd, calm down :)
3rd, where do you live? (atmospherics play a massive part, ie. A/C,enviourmental temps etc,etc)
4th, what type humidity gauge and how many do you have? (could be faulty)!
5th, where is the humidity gauge placed in the cage?

the humidity in my screen cage that is 18x18x36 is only 33% and i cant get it to raise i have 3 sides sealed and it still just raised it from 25 to 35. i dont understand i mist for 60 seconds every hour with an automatic mister i have a live unbrela tree and still cant get it to at least 40 % if you know how i could get it to raise more please i need the help

I have been having the same prob. I mist for about 3 mins, every 3 hours, but my humidity seems to be all over the place. In the dead center of the cage (basically on an inner branch of my umbrella plant) the humidity reaches 60-65, but toward the outside of the cage, it's between 35-40. I would love to know how people keep their humidity up in all screen cages.

if i put the probe in the base of the tree at the bottom it gos to 40 but never higher than that. i thought that my gauge was broken so i bought a non digital and it reads the same give or take a %

i have been using warm water... could using a humidifier in the house possibly solve the problem or should i just use a fogger

i think that the humdifier is gonna work i have had it on for an hour and it seems to be raising the house humidity but very slowly

i think that the humdifier is gonna work i have had it on for an hour and it seems to be raising the house humidity but very slowly

I've found several keys to maintaining higher humidity: First, having more surfaces that collect and hold spray so it evaporates more slowly. In other words, the more surfaces (leaves, twigs, plastic sheeting on the cage sides) that get wet, the longer it will take the cage to dry out. My cages are really crammed with live plants so I can hardly find my chams. The only area that is open is right at the top at the basking perch. Second, a finer, lower intensity misting for a longer period works better than a heavier blast for a short time because it gives all those surfaces a bit more time to get thoroughly wet before excess water runs off.

The humidity level in the room your cage is in plays a big part too. If your heating or AC keeps the room dry (and that is usually more comfortable for the humans living in it unfortunately), your cage is just going to dry out faster no matter how much you mist. Adding a room humidifier that either runs near the cage or is piped into it can really help a lot in between misting cycles.

Oh, and one more thing...actually the bigger your cage is the more you can stuff it with LARGE leafy live plants! Larger cages just hold more moisture. My best cage for holding humidity was 4'x5'x5'.

I've found several keys to maintaining higher humidity: First, having more surfaces that collect and hold spray so it evaporates more slowly. In other words, the more surfaces (leaves, twigs, plastic sheeting on the cage sides) that get wet, the longer it will take the cage to dry out. My cages are really crammed with live plants so I can hardly find my chams. The only area that is open is right at the top at the basking perch. Second, a finer, lower intensity misting for a longer period works better than a heavier blast for a short time because it gives all those surfaces a bit more time to get thoroughly wet before excess water runs off.

The humidity level in the room your cage is in plays a big part too. If your heating or AC keeps the room dry (and that is usually more comfortable for the humans living in it unfortunately), your cage is just going to dry out faster no matter how much you mist. Adding a room humidifier that either runs near the cage or is piped into it can really help a lot in between misting cycles.

Oh, and one more thing...actually the bigger your cage is the more you can stuff it with LARGE leafy live plants! Larger cages just hold more moisture. My best cage for holding humidity was 4'x5'x5'.

I use old towels on the sides of my cage they gather moisture and release it. just like stated above lots of live plants, a mister. ect. I am in arizona witch is desert. and I use a cold air humidifier in the winter I will be using a warm air humidifier. the more equipment the more maintenance. althou I owned reef tanks for 15 yrs so I am use to maintenance. The other thing that works real well is a container of water with a screen over it. the heat help evaporate it. witch has helped me in the past with humidity. my cages all have plastic back grounds floors and the side about a foot up is plastic. make sure you wash the towels often and dry them often. since I am in arizona I use the sun to dry my towels I found that shower curtains build mold.

during the dry moths of the year in arizona I use an evaporative cooler to cool my house witch works great in keeping the humidity up.

thank you all a bunch i put a humidifier in the room and it seems to be helping a bunch the cage humidity is finally at 45 constant sometimes higher but never lower i also covered two sides in one solid sheet of Plexiglas instead of just having it covered with cling-wrap i also have a fogger that i might set to go off 3 times a day to show a rise and drop in humidity the little guy will be here in a few days and now that everything is perfect im having a hard time waiting

Back
Top Bottom