HELP i’m new!! ADVICE PLSSSS

When you get the T5 fixture with the 5.0 or 6% uvb, you’ll want her basking area to be about 8-9” below the light. This will give her the uvb levels she needs. You’ll still need to get a phosphorus free calcium with D3. Then you’ll use that to lightly dust the feeders one feeding every other week. You’ll use the ReptiVite without D3 also one feeding every other week, alternating the two. @kinyonga I’ll be meeting up with op later in the week and giving her the spare ReptiVite without D3 I have, plus some feeders and stuff. Sadly I have a bottle of Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, but it expired in April. :(

When you get the T5 fixture with the 5.0 or 6% uvb, you’ll want her basking area to be about 8-9” below the light. This will give her the uvb levels she needs. You’ll still need to get a phosphorus free calcium with D3. Then you’ll use that to lightly dust the feeders one feeding every other week. You’ll use the ReptiVite without D3 also one feeding every other week, alternating the two. @kinyonga I’ll be meeting up with op later in the week and giving her the spare ReptiVite without D3 I have, plus some feeders and stuff. Sadly I have a bottle of Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, but it expired in April. :(
Got it i’m ordering the lamp tomorrow, im really glad I hav some insights now and everything. I’ll take her out on a little walk tomorrow lol even though i’m a little scared of handling her out I don’t wanna stress her out. Do you let your chameleon on your hand while you go outside?

Do you handle your chameleons, i was doing research I saw “ don’t handle them they don’t like it” i also saw “handle them everyday so they get used to it”. ive only handled her twice. the first day to put her in her cage, and a second time to fix her cage and put more fake leaves in.

She runs away from me even when i get remotely close. Or she hisses and tries to bite. So I haven’t bothered her personal space or tried to handle her. These past days ive been focused on getting right equipment, making sure she’s hydrated, fed, etc..

Again thank you so much I can’t express how much I appreciate it i’m going to work on getting her happy and healthy and hopefully to trust me

You’ll want to build some trust with her. Here’s a great blog on how to do that. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/ Veileds though have a reputation for not being terribly friendly, to put it mildly for some. While it’s been exceedingly rare for any of my veileds to willingly step onto my hand, they do trust me somewhat. One of my girls will hiss and maybe lunge but is okay once I get her in my hand. My other girl is out for blood…she is fierce! My male tolerates my hands near him in his enclosure, but he hates being held and just wants to get away.
To take her outside, do you have a plant or small tree that you can put her on to carry her out? You could even secure some sticks in a box. I learned the hard way that when really frightened, they will make a suicide leap from your hands. Taking her out will stress her, but she really needs some D3 and the sun is the best and quickest source. The best way to get her out of her enclosure is to corral her with one hand behind and slightly above her and the other hand in front of and slightly below. Then move whichever hand is best to get her little feet onto. Never grab them from above.

Looks like you got some fantastic info. Not sure if it was mentioned but those superworms would be too large for her. Listen to the feedback you received. Proper uvb lighting at the right distance and correctly supplemented right sized feeders are two immediate changes needed.
If anyone needs me to add anything just tag me here but I think your well taken care of with the people that are already involved in your thread. :)

Looks like you got some fantastic info. Not sure if it was mentioned but those superworms would be too large for her. Listen to the feedback you received. Proper uvb lighting at the right distance and correctly supplemented right sized feeders are two immediate changes needed.
If anyone needs me to add anything just tag me here but I think your well taken care of with the people that are already involved in your thread. :)
Hiii I was wondering if https://www.petmountain.com/product...6xvh8kebeQ7Y5rjyae6-cMI_TrrWIxaBoCNHkQAvD_BwE 14in is okay?

And will my little girl be okay with her light fixture for a week while I wait for her new one to arrive?

She’s been loving the small crickets so far which is good!

Hiii I was wondering if https://www.petmountain.com/product...6xvh8kebeQ7Y5rjyae6-cMI_TrrWIxaBoCNHkQAvD_BwE 14in is okay?

And will my little girl be okay with her light fixture for a week while I wait for her new one to arrive?

You haven’t said what size enclosure she’s in and as it’s more important to get her healthy, I didn’t bother to ask. She will be needing at least a 2x2x4’ enclosure, which is the minimum size for an adult. Then you’ll want the uvb to be able to span the width of the enclosure, so 24” is what you’ll need. It’s ok if it’s too big now, but won’t be as ok if it’s too short when she gets her big girl upgrade. Until you can get your uvb light, just keep taking advantage of the sun.

You haven’t said what size enclosure she’s in and as it’s more important to get her healthy, I didn’t bother to ask. She will be needing at least a 2x2x4’ enclosure, which is the minimum size for an adult. Then you’ll want the uvb to be able to span the width of the enclosure, so 24” is what you’ll need. It’s ok if it’s too big now, but won’t be as ok if it’s too short when she gets her big girl upgrade. Until you can get your uvb light, just keep taking advantage of the sun.
8EEF6485-2B1C-47E6-B895-C57D7731597B.jpeg

This is her enclosure size. Is the T5 Lamp im getting a heating lamp also so I can just get rid of the current heating lamp I have?

You want a 24 inch... with a 6% or 5.0 bulb strength.

I use these. https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/t5-ho-single-bulb-light-strip-24/
They come with the plant light bulb. I would order 2. Replace the plant bulb in one with the UVB bulb. So then you have plant lighting and UVB lighting. Save the second plant bulb for back up in case yours burns out.

Then order this bulb from the same place for the UVB. https://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-forest-6-uvb/arcadia-d3-6-uvb-t5-bulb-22/

With this fixture and UVB bulb you want the closest branches below her to be 8-9 measured inches away.

UVB lighting and plant lighting like the above are just for that. They do not provide enough heat. I like the dimmable heat fixtures that are the 5.5 inch size. These do not take up as much room on the top of the cage. This with a regular incandescent white 60 watt household bulb should give you the max temps of 78-80 for her at basking.

Oh and I apologize I did not answer your other question about her waiting for the UVB lighting to come. I agree with @MissSkittles that if you can get her outside in real sun this will help her a lot. Real sun for 15-30 minutes each day but be sure your temps are cooler. So only take her out during the cooler parts of the day. I would not do noon because the sun will be at its peak and the heat will be as well. But temps in the 70's are preferable so she does not over heat. If she will sit on you in a chair so you can watch her this is more ideal. If she starts gaping (holding her mouth open) then she is too hot and trying to cool down. I would move over into the shade and let her cool down then take her back inside.

I use these. https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures/t5-ho-single-bulb-light-strip-24/
They come with the plant light bulb. I would order 2. Replace the plant bulb in one with the UVB bulb. So then you have plant lighting and UVB lighting. Save the second plant bulb for back up in case yours burns out.

Then order this bulb from the same place for the UVB. https://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-forest-6-uvb/arcadia-d3-6-uvb-t5-bulb-22/

With this fixture and UVB bulb you want the closest branches below her to be 8-9 measured inches away.

UVB lighting and plant lighting like the above are just for that. They do not provide enough heat. I like the dimmable heat fixtures that are the 5.5 inch size. These do not take up as much room on the top of the cage. This with a regular incandescent white 60 watt household bulb should give you the max temps of 78-80 for her at basking.
Thank you!! I set up the

Ordered thank you!

Oh and I apologize I did not answer your other question about her waiting for the UVB lighting to come. I agree with @MissSkittles that if you can get her outside in real sun this will help her a lot. Real sun for 15-30 minutes each day but be sure your temps are cooler. So only take her out during the cooler parts of the day. I would not do noon because the sun will be at its peak and the heat will be as well. But temps in the 70's are preferable so she does not over heat. If she will sit on you in a chair so you can watch her this is more ideal. If she starts gaping (holding her mouth open) then she is too hot and trying to cool down. I would move over into the shade and let her cool down then take her back inside.
Got it! Do I leave the uvb light she has right now on?

When it comes in let me know if you have any questions.
Hi! I have a few.

I raised her lamp fixture and I noticed her climbing the screen top, I tested it with my hand and the screen is warm so she’s not getting burned.

Her basking spot stays around 83-84 degrees now. So you think I need to reposition her lamp? It seems like she’s trying to find the highest branch near the heating lamp when not climbing the screen top. (I just never noticed her climbing the top of the screen till I raised her heating lamp) Her basking spot is about 9in below the lamp.

Also, she’s been shedding for two days now. Today her body started shedding. Should I take her outside even when she’s shedding?

Thank you again

Hi! I have a few.

I raised her lamp fixture and I noticed her climbing the screen top, I tested it with my hand and the screen is warm so she’s not getting burned.

Her basking spot stays around 83-84 degrees now. So you think I need to reposition her lamp? It seems like she’s trying to find the highest branch near the heating lamp when not climbing the screen top. (I just never noticed her climbing the top of the screen till I raised her heating lamp) Her basking spot is about 9in below the lamp.

Also, she’s been shedding for two days now. Today her body started shedding. Should I take her outside even when she’s shedding?

Thank you again
So this is the issue with the dual dome lamps... Your raising it means she is getting even less UVB then she was before. The best thing for these is to actually put a lower wattage regular incandescent white bulb in for the heat.

How are you measuring her basking temp? What is the ambient household temp. What type of heat bulb are you using now. basking for a female we want a 78-80 temp and no hotter.

It does not matter if you take her outside while shedding. But base this on her reaction. If she is moody as some can get with shedding she may not want to be messed with.

So this is the issue with the dual dome lamps... Your raising it means she is getting even less UVB then she was before. The best thing for these is to actually put a lower wattage regular incandescent white bulb in for the heat.

How are you measuring her basking temp? What is the ambient household temp. What type of heat bulb are you using now. basking for a female we want a 78-80 temp and no hotter.

It does not matter if you take her outside while shedding. But base this on her reaction. If she is moody as some can get with shedding she may not want to be messed with.
a digital thermometer, the house stays around 72

this is the description of light fixture:

Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb (60 watt) and a ReptiSun 5.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent (13 watt).

she was a little feisty today but she loved the outside she started being really active.

the pictures i included was our walk today.

i mainly sat in the shade on a bench with her, she didn’t seem to like the fake plants i put her on so she sat on my hand, climbing up my arm lol

do you think she looks okay? i know you’re not a vet, but could you tell if she looks fine? i’m not going to be able to take her to a vet to get her checked out until about next week

she was alert, didn’t gape her mouth or open it.

Attachments

• 5384DC54-F5CA-4B61-8691-22F155192DEE.jpeg
    5384DC54-F5CA-4B61-8691-22F155192DEE.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 59
As she gets D3 from the sun and is able to process the calcium, she should start feeling better and better. She looks better in this pic from today. 🙂
Thank you!!!! Many keepers successfully use calcium (without D3 or phosphorus) at nearly every feeding, multivitamin once every 2 weeks, and calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks".

Is this correct information? So I know how often to dust!!

Back
Top Bottom