HELP i’m new!! ADVICE PLSSSS

iinvisus

My baby veiled chameleon has 1 Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, 1 DayLight Blue 60w Bulb, 1 ReptiSun Mini Compact 5.0 (13w) Fluorescent Bulb
I’m wondering what other I can buy for her in regards to heating lamp if baby veiled chameleons need uvb??

I’m very new.

She just started shedding and started eating after not eating for a few days she’s eating crickets finally!! Crickets are expensive af tho!!!! Lol does anyone breed their own?

Sometimes she has black spots, and has been immobile in the day for maybe an hour with her eyes closed it worries me. Is this normal?

Do you guys think her cage is okay?

I have so many questions!!
Her temp stays around 87 it’s a bit high but I wanna change this heating lamp because i doubt it’s good.

Yes that’s dried apples I was trying anything to get her to eat. She didn’t like worms but finally today i realized she loves crickets.

Any advice i’ll take i want the best life for her

Attachments

• EB9C5C7C-B14C-40DD-A5B6-9C055D1054C4.jpeg
    EB9C5C7C-B14C-40DD-A5B6-9C055D1054C4.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 038923E8-F9EC-419C-84F0-13C2F57B9B31.jpeg
    038923E8-F9EC-419C-84F0-13C2F57B9B31.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 7427B920-0057-43F2-9C09-7EC5EEDE8410.jpeg
    7427B920-0057-43F2-9C09-7EC5EEDE8410.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 76
  • FF63F27B-5938-4FC4-A253-1185CEB4EB9C.jpeg
    FF63F27B-5938-4FC4-A253-1185CEB4EB9C.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 71
  • 4C447ED4-783E-431E-BA2F-1226988CAE67.jpeg
    4C447ED4-783E-431E-BA2F-1226988CAE67.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 76
  • C0FD1985-05C4-4DBC-B865-FC00D8B1DDF4.jpeg
    C0FD1985-05C4-4DBC-B865-FC00D8B1DDF4.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Hi and welcome. I’m so very glad that you’ve found your way here. Having eyes closed during the day and not eating are bad signs that your baby is failing. Your little girl does not look good at all. I’m going to say you need to get her to a good vet who has experience with chameleons, the sooner the better. As baby chameleons have no resources to fall back on, time is of the essence in making changes. The biggest is getting the correct uvb light. You’ll need a linear T5 fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. The screw in bulbs just can’t provide the levels of uvb needed any farther away than 2”. The light is pricey, but it is essential. PetSmart has started selling Arcadia ProT5 that come with a 6% bulb for around $60 ish. The ReptiSun is about the same price. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...6&sr=1-1-5e1b2986-06e6-4004-a85e-73bfa3ee44fe
Babies and females shouldn’t have temps over around 80. Best way to correct this right now is to raise your light a few inches above the screen top. Babies walk upside down on their screen tops and can easily get burned, so this is something you’d want to do regardless. What have you been using for supplements?

Hi and welcome. I’m so very glad that you’ve found your way here. Having eyes closed during the day and not eating are bad signs that your baby is failing. Your little girl does not look good at all. I’m going to say you need to get her to a good vet who has experience with chameleons, the sooner the better. As baby chameleons have no resources to fall back on, time is of the essence in making changes. The biggest is getting the correct uvb light. You’ll need a linear T5 fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. The screw in bulbs just can’t provide the levels of uvb needed any farther away than 2”. The light is pricey, but it is essential. PetSmart has started selling Arcadia ProT5 that come with a 6% bulb for around $60 ish. The ReptiSun is about the same price. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0?crid=29IV67ALM5OG8&cv_ct_cx=reptisun+t5+ho+terrarium+hood+24+inch&keywords=reptisun+t5+ho+terrarium+hood+24+inch&pd_rd_i=B00CX5HXI2&pd_rd_r=fe903f2c-c7dc-4858-9cde-6fac59f7ce45&pd_rd_w=XuIjt&pd_rd_wg=ktGJr&pf_rd_p=ba68b2aa-04ee-4ba4-8968-e86315c2275a&pf_rd_r=06P1J9PZQ3AA6P4ADFP8&psc=1&qid=1653532596&sprefix=Reptisun,aps,126&sr=1-1-5e1b2986-06e6-4004-a85e-73bfa3ee44fe
Babies and females shouldn’t have temps over around 80. Best way to correct this right now is to raise your light a few inches above the screen top. Babies walk upside down on their screen tops and can easily get burned, so this is something you’d want to do regardless. What have you been using for supplements?
Hiiii how do I raise the light fixture? She does eat. I gave her mealworms and she was scared of them, so today i got crickets. She ate them fine. I dust the crickets with Repti Calcium from zoo med. I had a feeling she wasn’t doing well. Ive only had her for a few days. She drinks water fine when i mist. But yeah how would I raise the light fixture do you have any advice on that?

Hi and welcome. I’m so very glad that you’ve found your way here. Having eyes closed during the day and not eating are bad signs that your baby is failing. Your little girl does not look good at all. I’m going to say you need to get her to a good vet who has experience with chameleons, the sooner the better. As baby chameleons have no resources to fall back on, time is of the essence in making changes. The biggest is getting the correct uvb light. You’ll need a linear T5 fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. The screw in bulbs just can’t provide the levels of uvb needed any farther away than 2”. The light is pricey, but it is essential. PetSmart has started selling Arcadia ProT5 that come with a 6% bulb for around $60 ish. The ReptiSun is about the same price. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0?crid=29IV67ALM5OG8&cv_ct_cx=reptisun+t5+ho+terrarium+hood+24+inch&keywords=reptisun+t5+ho+terrarium+hood+24+inch&pd_rd_i=B00CX5HXI2&pd_rd_r=fe903f2c-c7dc-4858-9cde-6fac59f7ce45&pd_rd_w=XuIjt&pd_rd_wg=ktGJr&pf_rd_p=ba68b2aa-04ee-4ba4-8968-e86315c2275a&pf_rd_r=06P1J9PZQ3AA6P4ADFP8&psc=1&qid=1653532596&sprefix=Reptisun,aps,126&sr=1-1-5e1b2986-06e6-4004-a85e-73bfa3ee44fe
Are you from Space Coast florida? I am too! I live in Palm Bay do you have any vets here?

I use small wire baskets from the dollar store to raise my lights. Not pretty but gets the job done well. Normally I’d tell you that mealworms aren’t good staple feeders, but right now you need her to eat whatever she will.
Are you from Space Coast florida? I am too! I live in Palm Bay do you have any vets here?
Yes, I’m in Cocoa. Even though there are some exotics vets closer, I go to Dr Bruce Bogoslavsky in Orlando, who is great. https://myavho.com/

I use small wire baskets from the dollar store to raise my lights. Not pretty but gets the job done well. Normally I’d tell you that mealworms aren’t good staple feeders, but right now you need her to eat whatever she will.

Yes, I’m in Cocoa. Even though there are some exotics vets closer, I go to Dr Bruce Bogoslavsky in Orlando, who is great. https://myavho.com/
Yeah, she won’t eat mealworms. I got recommended those by Petco employees.

She seems to love crickets though. She ate about 7 or 8 today. Thank you for guiding me in the right direction im going to be taking her to the vet soon. I’m trying to find real plants for her too

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Why are you using DRIED apples instead of fresh ones? They actually don't need to be fed any fruits, veggies or greens..but can eat their non-toxic plants if they want to. Since they do tend to eat plants, especially females, the plants should all be real and nontoxic, well washed, both sides of the leaves.

How old is she? Veiled females will/can lay (infertile) eggs without being mated....and if they are kept too warm and fed too much once they are approaching maturity, they will produce large clutches and can develop follicular stasis, dystocia (egg binding), MBD, etc. because of he incorrect husbandry. We can talk more about this in a bit.

@MissSkittles has already talked to you about the lights.
It could be part of the reason for her shutting the eyes.

What supplements are you using and how often and how heavily for each? Please be specific...list brands, etc.
What do you gutload/feed the insects with?
How do you provide water?

You can breed insects...we can gibpve you info about that on here too.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Why are you using DRIED apples instead of fresh ones? They actually don't need to be fed any fruits, veggies or greens..but can eat their non-toxic plants if they want to. Since they do tend to eat plants, especially females, the plants should all be real and nontoxic, well washed, both sides of the leaves.

How old is she? Veiled females will/can lay (infertile) eggs without being mated....and if they are kept too warm and fed too much once they are approaching maturity, they will produce large clutches and can develop follicular stasis, dystocia (egg binding), MBD, etc. because of he incorrect husbandry. We can talk more about this in a bit.

@MissSkittles has already talked to you about the lights.
It could be part of the reason for her shutting the eyes.

What supplements are you using and how often and how heavily for each? Please be specific...list brands, etc.
What do you gutload/feed the insects with?
How do you provide water?

You can breed insects...we can gibpve you info about that on here too.
They were fresh apples, lol i left them for a day she didn’t touch them that’s why i said dried apples because that’s what was in the picture sorry for the miscommunication, i was in a rush to post this because i’m worried about her.

I’m fixing her light set up and everything tomorrow.

She’s definitely a baby i’m not sure how many months she is.

Supplements? I don’t feed the crickets i’m not sure what to feed them. I bought the crickets today and just dusted them with Repti Calcium by Zoo med. I fed them to her asap out of desperation for her to eat something and she ate a lot around 8 or 10. Im sorry i’m new and my friend didn’t want her anymore so I took her in.

Ive been doing a lot of research but it’s a bit overwhelming lol.

What supplements should I give her? I tried zucchini and apples when she wasn’t eating the mealworms she didn’t touch it. I’m trying to get her real plants instead of fake.

Like I said I got her because my friend couldn’t take care of her ive been trying the past few days to get everything for her.

I mist her cage daily with warm water. She comes to the screen and licks it so I sit there and make sure the water drops in her mouth slowly until she walks away. I also have a little water bowl she doesn’t seem to pay attention too.

I’m going to look into gutloading because I haven’t heard that until now. She just started eating today (the crickets) after ignoring the mealworms or being scared of them when I tried hand feeding her.

I feel bad now I feel like ive been doing everything wrong 😭😭 I just want the best for her

We all have been through a learning curve with our first chameleon. There's so much to learn all at once! Don't worry...we'll get you through it!

It's good that you took her in! Sounds like you care and that's the most important thing!

Post a photo of her on your hand tomorrow if you can...or with something we can tell the size of so we can estimate her age.

More in a minute...or a few minutes!

We all have been through a learning curve with our first chameleon. There's so much to learn all at once! Don't worry...we'll get you through it!

It's good that you took her in! Sounds like you care and that's the most important thing!

Post a photo of her on your hand tomorrow if you can...or with something we can tell the size of so we can estimate her age.

More in a minute...or a few minutes!
B22A07D9-91BD-4503-B615-3E055C7EC359.jpeg
If this helps this is from the first day I got her lol!
The calcium powder is without D3 if that helps.
If you still need a picture with her on my hand tomorrow I will though thank you :)

You said..."They were fresh apples, lol i left them for a day she didn’t touch them that’s why i said dried apples because that’s what was in the picture sorry for the miscommunication, i was in a rush to post this because i’m worried about her"...I understand!.

You said..."I’m fixing her light set up and everything tomorrow"...that's good!

You said..."She’s definitely a baby i’m not sure how many months she is"...we'll figure it out!

You said.."Supplements?"...the insects we feed to them are not close to the diet they would get in the wild so we feed/gutload and dust them to help make up for it. We are only allowed to have certain insects in our countries, so we have to do the best we can o make up for it.

It's recommneded that you dust the insects lightly, just before feeding them to the chameleon with a phosphorous free calcium powder at all feedings but one a week. At two of those 4 remaining feedings, one day every second week, you can dust them lightly with reptivite with vitamin D3 and vitamin A in it.

You can gutload/feed crickets, roaches, superworms, etc with greens and veggies such as dandelion greens, mustard greens, kale, collards, endive, squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, zucchini and a very little bit of apple, berries, pear.
Other insects such as hornworms, silkworms, waxworms will be fed their own diets. Some insects such as mealworms, waxworms, should only be fed to her once in a while.

You said...Like I said I got her because my friend couldn’t take care of her ive been trying the past few days to get everything for her" ...glad she has someone!

You said..."I mist her cage daily with warm water. She comes to the screen and licks it so I sit there and make sure the water drops in her mouth slowly until she walks away. I also have a little water bowl she doesn’t seem to pay attention too"...I would lose the water bowl....they can collect bacteria easily. Make sure the water isn't too warm...what feels warm to us may be too hot for them.
You can set up a dripper too. A deli cup with a pin hole in the bottom so that it only drips at the rate of one or two drips per second is fine.

You said..."I feel bad now I feel like ive been doing everything wrong 😭😭 I just want the best for her"...don't beat yourself up...you'll learn. Especially if you hang around here!

Also...being a female she will likely lay eggs even without being mated...diet and temperatures are important prevent her from have reproductive issues. Having a laybin in the cage is important too, once she is sexually mature.

Last edited:
For the first few months of her life you can feed her as much as she will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding...but as she approaches sexual maturity/full size, you will want to cut her back to being fed every secon or third day and then cut down the amount you feed her at each feeding until she only gets 3 or 4 crickets every second or third day...or equal value in other insects.

She will develop mustardy yellow splotches and blue dots as she becomes sexually mature.

You will want to keep her basking temperature at 80F. It helps her be less hungry for one thing...which helps her cope with the diet.

You will want to place a laybin in her cage once she is sexually mature so she has a place to dig to lay her eggs as well.

For the first few months of her life you can feed her as much as she will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding...but as she approaches sexual maturity/full size, you will want to cut her back to being fed every secon or third day and then cut down the amount you feed her at each feeding until she only gets 3 or 4 crickets every second or third day...or equal value in other insects.

She will develop mustardy yellow splotches and blue dots as she becomes sexually mature.

You will want to keep her basking temperature at 80F. It helps her be less hungry for one thing...which helps her cope with the diet.

You will want to place a laybin in her cage once she is sexually mature so she has a place to dig to lay her eggs as well.
Okay! I learned so much helped advice from you and Miss Skittles I appreciate it so much I really do!

How old does she look to you? Just so I know how to time things.

I have another question. I’m going to raise the light fixture. But do you think the branches are too high up in the cage? I have fake plants but i’m looking to get all real plants. Her basking spot she hangs out is maybe 6 inches from the screen. I feel like it’s too high up.

How do I know if she’s hydrated enough. I know about her urates or whatever they’re called….. lol but ive seen it white if that’s normal. Her poop is a light brown lol 💩. I don’t know if she’s drinking as much as she should be.

She looks nice and healthy in the photo you just posted!
4DD676FE-F6CD-4FD7-8900-2803D5DB2DF1.jpeg

Yay! But this was her yesterday. When she wasn’t eating (because she was scared of mealworms I believe). She was shedding near her eyes and on her eyes. She seemed very weak, laying down not moving much.

Today she was more active, but seemed a little weak still, she’s still shedding on her face.

When she was hunting crickets she was really active

View attachment 324756
Yay! But this was her yesterday. When she wasn’t eating (because she was scared of mealworms I believe). She was shedding near her eyes and on her eyes. She seemed very weak, laying down not moving much.

Today she was more active, but seemed a little weak still, she’s still shedding on her face.

When she was hunting crickets she was really active
She was green today though, not her dark spots like yesterday. She seemed to cheer up when she ate

You said..."Okay! I learned so much helped advice from you and Miss Skittles I appreciate it so much I really do!"...glad to help. If we can save a newbie from some issues, we're all happy to do so!

You said..."How old does she look to you? Just so I know how to time things"...she has good weight to her but her eye bothers me a bit....might just be the shed though. Also, not good if she's sleeping during the day.

You said..."I have another question. I’m going to raise the light fixture. But do you think the branches are too high up in the cage? I have fake plants but i’m looking to get all real plants. Her basking spot she hangs out is maybe 6 inches from the screen. I feel like it’s too high up"...put your hand, back side up against the screen inside her cage under the basking light. If you want to move your hand away it's definitely too hot/close and will burn her. @Beman is better at light and branch placement than me, so I've tagged her. She might not be on until tomorrow though.

You said..."How do I know if she’s hydrated enough. I know about her urates or whatever they’re called….. lol but ive seen it white if that’s normal. Her poop is a light brown lol 💩. I don’t know if she’s drinking as much as she should be"...if the urates are white she's very well hydrated...if they have a bit of yellow or orange tint to them then she's still ok. If they're very orange, she needs hydrating generally.

I’m going to guess she’s maybe somewhere around 4-5 months old. Chameleons hide signs that they aren’t well until very late. She hasn’t been getting any vitamin D3, which is essential to convert calcium into a usable form. It isn’t just bones that need calcium, but muscles, nerve impulses, etc. D3 comes from unfiltered sunlight, uvb and dietary supplements. Tomorrow try taking her outside and sit in the sun for about 10-15 minutes. It’s been too hot to keep her in the sun for any longer than that. Even my beardie starts gaping from overheating after 15 minutes. It’ll give her some natural vitamin D and hopefully will perk up a bit. Just don’t leave her unattended outside. Don’t be surprised if she turns black or bright green when in the sun...it’s natural.

Back
Top Bottom