Help! how to clean discharge from a chams eye!

stevenelvin

This panther cham that I picked up today seems to have some discharge stuck in his eye. What can i do to help him get rid of it?

Take the spray bottle and some warm water, use the finest mist you can, and just mist several times a day. You can also use the same eye wash you buy for people(not contact stuff) and just drip it on his eye, maybe 10 drops 3 times a day. let me know how it goes.

If you do decide to purchase an eyewash, be sure to use pure saline without additives. You can buy it as a spray or drops. I have found using the spray gently (not full spray) is effective.

Pure saline should only contain Sodium Chloride (salt) and water (aqua). Anything else may not be good for the chameleon.

Good luck.

A good misting helps too. It might also be that you have an eye infection. Teramycin works well to help clear up eye infections.

If you give the cham a good long mist and you see the eye turret moving around, it's good.

I HEAVILY misted him with warm water and he opened his eye. I misted him down a few more times later on and the weirdest thing ever happened...

He closed his eye and there seemed to be an explosion inside of his turret. His eye now looks like it has been fully retracted into his skull...

Steven I don't know what to say other than 'that doesn't look good'. You should maybe see a vet... Maybe it's a really bad eye infection? You could try the terramycin or to wash the eye with saline by injecting a light and steady stream into the eye lid. The eye turret will swell with the fluid and then drain... That is all I can really suggest, and might be all a vet does to help. :eek:

I gotta bring him back tommorow morning though. I'll let the store owner know to bring him to a vet & ill print the thread out.

thanks again

If that was dehydration, wouldn't both eyes be sunk in?

Take that panther back to where you got it from, they shouldn't be selling anything with health issues. I would be weary from purchasing from them again in the future. Hopefully whatever happened will be cleared up and there's a good/great reason for it.

If that was dehydration, wouldn't both eyes be sunk in?

Take that panther back to where you got it from, they shouldn't be selling anything with health issues. I would be weary from purchasing from them again in the future. Hopefully whatever happened will be cleared up and there's a good/great reason for it.

Yea, I just took it back and got a baby veiled from a different vendor.

Back
Top Bottom